The Hobbit Rifle

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
The OG Hobbit is getting even sneakier with some added hush power. HUGE thanks to Denali Arms in Wasilla, AK for the quick turnaround!

5cf04b62cb0634df3fea7795b64f6d00.jpg

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Question to the Hobbit owners out there: How are these things as far as accuracy goes?

I'm old enough to remember a lot of complaints about the OG Encores (I believe specifically the TC barrels) and bum accuracy. Any truth to that? With the Hobbit mods/changes, does it improve things?

Thinking of putting one of these together for my kid, but up here the build components are super pricey. And MGM barrels are tough (if impossible) to find.

MCS

Lil-Rokslider
Question to the Hobbit owners out there: How are these things as far as accuracy goes?

I'm old enough to remember a lot of complaints about the OG Encores (I believe specifically the TC barrels) and bum accuracy. Any truth to that? With the Hobbit mods/changes, does it improve things?

Thinking of putting one of these together for my kid, but up here the build components are super pricey. And MGM barrels are tough (if impossible) to find.
Mine has a 20" match grade machine 7rem barrel and it shoots the 180 berger about 3/4 moa.

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member

Definitely some truth to the accuracy issues with the lightweight factory Thompson 26” barrels. If I remember correctly, EABCO was the company trying to help Jim Shockey hit something back when that’s what he was shooting. Want to say barrel whip was the issue?

The factory bull barrels didn’t have any issues and I can attest to that personally. We have one in .22-250 chopped down to 22” and it shoots wonderfully.

Most folks on here are using custom barrels from MGM. We’ve accurately shot ours out to 650 yards during practice. With the 30mm tube scope I’m now using, we should be able to dial it out even further.

Never shot a centerfire encore by my encore frame with an arrowhead (believe by MGM) smokeless muzzleloader .45 cal barrel shoots with centerfire level accuracy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are more sensitive to different pressures on the fore end than a free floated bolt rife because it's bolted to the barrel.

pharmdeez

FNG
My hobbit rifle has an mgm barrel, mcarbo spring kit, and bellm hinge pin. It’s shot almost everything I’ve put through it sub Moa.

Just found this thread, and Im putting together a Encore Pro Hunter, lol but in 12 ga slug with a 28" barrel. One place I hunt at Ft Campbell it either has to be slug or muzzleloader, but the only question I have is why is everyone it seems using the Sharps grip adapter vs the Choate? I thought of going with the Choate for the extra weight to help with the recoil on the 12 ga slug. But right now I can go either way, just curious which one was better, and I dont want to go the folder route yet.......if this dont work out with the 12 ga, Im slapping a 308 on there and going the Hobbit way lol thanks in advance.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Just found this thread, and Im putting together a Encore Pro Hunter, lol but in 12 ga slug with a 28" barrel. One place I hunt at Ft Campbell it either has to be slug or muzzleloader, but the only question I have is why is everyone it seems using the Sharps grip adapter vs the Choate? I thought of going with the Choate for the extra weight to help with the recoil on the 12 ga slug. But right now I can go either way, just curious which one was better, and I dont want to go the folder route yet.......if this dont work out with the 12 ga, Im slapping a 308 on there and going the Hobbit way lol thanks in advance.
Probably weight. I would personally consider the Choat after this. The over molded metal is appealing to me. Clearly, I'm the only person dumb enough to break the Sharps, so for normal people it is tough enough.

LOL at 56 I think I have dropped, broke, lost just about everything hunting. IF it can be torn up I can do it lol. As I said with the 12 ga Im not looking to save weight, and it seems either one will be fine if this doesnt work out and I go with a short 308 barrel. Thanks again

Has anyone built one of these in .243? I’ve done a lot of research on different options and keep coming back to this for my young girls. Great idea, thanks for sharing.
I bought all of the components today to finally build this for my kids except the barrel. I’ve got to do a little more research and then i’m going to order the barrel later this week. If anyone has done this for a .243 I’m interested in any lessons learned, particularly related to barrel length. Thanks, Ryan

yfarm

WKR
Converted my old 45/410 Contender to the carbine with a 6.8spc barrel. Fully intended to chop the 23” barrel to 16-18 but after shooting it decided to leave it as is, balance is very slightly to the barrel which makes it easy to shoot offhand very well. OAL is 37”.
Have an encore prohunter in 308 with a 26” fluted barrel, spoke with Mike Bellm about cutting and porting the barrel, said 20” is the ideal length.
Currently shoot a Ruger American 243 with an 18”, shoots better than the shooter with the 18”.

Attachments

• IMG_1913.jpeg
    IMG_1913.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

RS3579

WKR
I bought all of the components today to finally build this for my kids except the barrel. I’ve got to do a little more research and then i’m going to order the barrel later this week. If anyone has done this for a .243 I’m interested in any lessons learned, particularly related to barrel length. Thanks, Ryan
I went with a 18” 7mm-08. I also had it threaded for in he future if I wanted to ad. muzzle break or suppressor. The length will be depending on the distance that you’ll shoot. A 243 is an excellent caliber. FYI The stock listed by the OP does not have any padding for recoil reduction. You’ll love this setup!

Saw this pop up on 24hr. Might help someone?

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
PXL_20230504_223610551.jpg

Here's mine, not a TC but still a smol lil guy. CVA Scout V2 16.5" 300BO with a Resonator K.

The black center of the stickers are 1" from 50 yards with a PA 1-6 ACSS, cheap AAC 220 SMKs that were not subsonic from the 16.5 barrel.

Plan to use it for whitetail this fall. 110 TacTx with 18.5gr H110 @2280fps print similar groups but I don't have photos on hand.

Last edited:
OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick update, been trying to stay off the socials this fall. Extremely busy with life/guiding/hunting. Running a SWFA 3-15 now and a Rugged 360 suppressor. In love with this current configuration.

e5256c93b8f6a3e17e2b55dff3f72f87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick update, been trying to stay off the socials this fall. Extremely busy with life/guiding/hunting. Running a SWFA 3-15 now and a Rugged 360 suppressor. In love with this current configuration.

e5256c93b8f6a3e17e2b55dff3f72f87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that the titanium version of the suppressor?
What's your short review on it?

OP
SLDMTN

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is that the titanium version of the suppressor?
What's your short review on it?
Not the full Ti version. On my 7mm-08 it’s 11.8oz of WORTH IT.

Quiet (no ear pro needed), reduced recoil (takes the snap out of not having a recoil pad), screws directly onto my barrel with 5/8-24. Absolutely love it.