The Most Unnecessary Sh*t

Shampoo? Stink? Crazy! Ha ha you don't want to smell like a salon when you go hunting. I do bring the tiny travel container of baby powder for long hot backpacking trips because nothin ruins a man quicker than a case of chap monkey butt or chaffing of the berries.
THAT! - and "Emergency" packs for the water. I just load a pack per water bottle the night before and head out. Used to laugh at my buddies with their cramp pills until I started having the same cramps at 1am- sucks! But drinking "Emergency" all day keeps them at bay and helps with a vitamin load to boot.

Too much clothing. I used to bring a couple extra shirts, pants, long John's, etc....I figured clothes don't weigh that much. But when you add them all up.....

I have a habit of keeping bic lighters in every damn place. Now they don't weigh much and I don't smoke or anything but I just hate having to dig for one and I can never remember where it's at.
I do the same thing. Don't smoke, but I bet I've got 1/2 dozen Bics in each one of my packs.

Not me but other people....the "Butt Out" tool. Absolutely pointless whether you are 10 miles from the truck or 5 ft.

My buddy brought a hatchet everyday in his pack on a truck camping type archery deer trip (western SD in Sept) no trees to be seen.

Im sorry but shoulder high fricking gloves for gutting a deer. Buddy of mine pulled them out in their nice neat little package...Needless to say I had the deer gutted before you got them and the cute little latex gloves on over them.
I habe a buddy that swears by both of these on multiple occasions I have have the deer gutted and ready to go before he had both gloves on and found the butt out

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Dedicated softshell jacket on a backpack hunt. Cookware other than a pot to boil water in. For the most part, I have had my system dialed in for a long time. I think my time in the Army, especially in a light infantry unit, taught me really quick to go with only what I need!
I took my neighbor on an elk hunt a couple years ago. I spent a lot of time going over his pack with him. It was eye opening to me to see what an inexperienced person “thought” they needed to take with them. Needless to say, he still showed up to the trailhead with poor food choices, and a 20lbs “precision rifle” lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been bad about always bringing a digital camera with a case and extra batteries and memory cards. No more. Now I only carry my iPhone as a camera. Sure I miss out on some of the zoom capabilities with a dedicated camera, but I'm also not having to tote that heavy ass thing around.

I've been on backpacking trips throughout Montana. Each year we would go with a new group. One year, a former and aged "professional" French alps guide joined us. That guy packed in everything but the kitchen sink. I was about 21 at time, I could hardly lift his pack off the ground. To make matters more difficult for him, his 35-year-old lowe alpine pack waist belt snapped due to both age and the excessive load. He caried on several more miles to camp with at least 90 lbs on his shoulders. Let me tell you, he struggled. When we arrived and setup for dinner. He proceeded to pull out a propane canister, stove, glass jars of food, loaf of bread, 4-man tent....the list goes on! It is astonishing what can be crammed into pack. I didnt have the heart to tell him we would be eating fish that we caught in the remote lake. Needless to say, his back will liekly never forgive him.

Used to dump rocks in each others packs on breaks as a wildland fire fighter in college. Nothing sucked more than to find out you were packing a 5 pound rock around all day on the fire line.
On a popular permitted backpacking trip to a lake in WA we snuck a couple of those cutwater margaritas into a buddy's backpack at the trailhead while he was changing. Better than rocks I think, he wasn't nearly as upset when he found out cause he got to drink them!

I had to trade packs with a friend on a long hike because he couldn't carry his. When we got to our campsite I opened his bag and I pulled out 4 full Powerades and a container with a dozen raw eggs.

A buddy brought a 15 lb cow hide as a sleep system on a Backpack style Montana general elk hunt. He was warned numerous times it was a terrible idea… “Meh, I’ve rucked with heavier packs in the Army!”

Me-“Not in Montana you haven’t…”

He’d never been west of the Mississippi… I’ll give him credit, it took him until the end of the trip to finally admit it was a mistake.

Hunting partner brings a plywood box complete with toilet ring that can be reassembled in the field. Digs a hole and has to have a shitter to sit on. Hits it every morning in camp like clock work.

Back