The Rokslide/First Lite Buck Hunt - Ryan Avery/ Kenton Carruth

I'm grabbing some coffee before work. I assume, right now, you guys are moving through the dark to get to your morning set up.

The cheap seats are pulling for you Kenton. Another video of Robby's infectious enthusiasm behind another big buck would be great.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Kenton and I got up at 4:30 so we could approach the brushy knobs we've been hunting from a different direction. Made the ridge above the knobs at first light and immediately spotted bull elk, bull moose and cow, and a small buck chasing does. Spent the next hour moving slowly through the country hoping to catch the deer in the occassional openings. About 8:00, I saw a decent buck squirt between two trees chasing several does. He was less than 200 yards and we had most of the hill covered. Finally by 9:20 with no action, I swung north and pussyfooted into the brush patch we last saw them in. Kenton waited above on the shooting sticks ready for action.
attachment.php

I moved slowly through the cover with the wind in my favor knowing they'd hear me and probably move out where he could fire up the Creedmoore, but I soon cut their tracks low on the knob heading into the timber. Following their tracks I found that they'd taken the only trail low enough to stay out of sight- save a 10 foot opening that we both must've not been looking at when they came through. Tracks don't lie. With crunchy snow and thick timber, I decided not to track them and met up with Kenton about 10 and started the long hike back to the truck.

On the way back to camp, a doe bolts across the two track with a 3x5 hot on her tail. Kenton grabbed the Creedmore jumped out and lit him up with a 140 grain Amax! 40 yards head on. We couldn't believe how fast it came together and agreed you gotta take an easy one when it comes your way on the last day. Buck is quartered and headed for Ketchum in the back of his truck as I write this.

attachment.php

Here's a few photos from deer camp.

First night, I set up my new E-Kot to give it a try and can't for the life of me find the old pad I brought along. Ryan and I looked in all the trucks, the horse trailer, and all over the trailer house. Kenton had gone to bed early so I went in his room and sure enough, the double bed with a box spring and 8" mattress I got him weren't enough so he stole my old pad!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Kenton cooked great dinners every night while Ryan kept the glasses full and our boots
attachment.php

Also, if you don't know Ryan is a Ram guy and all other trucks are mere toys. However, he was all to glad to drive my old Ford given the chance. Spun all four pulling out of the ranch- you'd think the guy had never been around a 460.
attachment.php

Great times. Thanks for following.

7stw

WKR
Congrats Kenton ! Talk about a last minute buck !! Excellent job guys ! Thanks for letting us tag along.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Here is a picture of the exit wounds. 600 grains of Berger lovin and little meat wasted.
063d692c09622b41dbcc551205310b61.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
While skinning, I found a bullet lodged in his leg. Looks to be 24 or 25 caliber. You never know what kind of situation you will be in, so I always vote in favor of big LEAD!
1247133f2efcb1ede3aa1bf3595d9f54.jpg
b1278d0e7b27844370c9e9314553f42f.jpg