This Happened To Me - 2022

sndmn11

WKR
Wait, how?

You got touchless wipes or something???
@KickinNDishin was not present so MY touchless method was unavailable.

I use the thumb pinch method, I am unaware of an alternative.

Basically, I pinch the wipe as per normal procedure and reached around my glutes to get to the poo. Immediately prior to venturing between my cheeks, where presumably some refuge from the breeze existed, the breeze blew and the wipe folded over. This was unexpected and I was not prepared for an immediate and hasty abort.

This is the goal. I have added a target for clarity.
PXL_20220913_233651102~2.jpg

Since I was unaware that the wipe folded over in the breeze, my mind followed through with the intention of being on target. I have illustrated for clarity.
PXL_20220913_233659228~2.jpg

In the future I will be more careful when wiping when a breeze is about.

Basically, I pinch the wipe as per normal procedure and reached around my glutes to get to the poo. Immediately prior to venturing between my cheeks, where presumably some refuge from the breeze existed, the breeze blew and the wipe folded over. This was unexpected and I was not prepared for an immediate and hasty abort.

View attachment 451830

Since I was unaware that the wipe folded over in the breeze, my mind followed through with the intention of being on target. I have illustrated for clarity.
View attachment 451831

Chit that needs the 🤣 x 1k.....

I was just picturing mid wipe as like halfway thru the pass, hence the confusion.

Couldn't figure how pressure on both sides the wind could carry it away, thanks for the clarification. Your halfway point includes the struggle of getting the actual wipes out.

Havoc

FNG
I pinched the side of my face the other day while shooting a 308 AR. Collapsable stock wasn’t closed all the way and torched off a round and it pinched my face. Made sure to tell the wife so she didn’t think I had a hicky.

sndmn11

WKR
Chit that needs the 🤣 x 1k.....

I was just picturing mid wipe as like halfway thru the pass, hence the confusion.

Couldn't figure how pressure on both sides the wind could carry it away, thanks for the clarification. Your halfway point includes the struggle of getting the actual wipes out.

The more I reflect on the incident, the more thought provoking in a sort enigmatic way it has become. Did I miss the target or did I hit the target 🎯. I suppose it depends on if you are a half full glass or half empty glass kind of person.

I consider the act of "wiping" as the whole process, not just contact time. For instance when my 4yo yells at me to come wipe him, I know I will be ripping the TP from the spool and disposing of it as well, versus just the smear.

The more I reflect on the incident, the more thought provoking in a sort enigmatic way it has become. Did I miss the target or did I hit the target 🎯. I suppose it depends on if you are a half full glass or half empty glass kind of person.

I consider the act of "wiping" as the whole process, not just contact time. For instance when my 4yo yells at me to come wipe him, I know I will be ripping the TP from the spool and disposing of it as well, versus just the smear.

It's been evident over several occasions that we view things differently.

I'm pretty literally (maybe? Certainly not always correct with wording) on how something is stated.

Like arrow builds, it's not building, it's assembling. Rifle build. No, you tightened a few small fastners....

But damn if you ain't gifted with story telling....

View attachment 451830

View attachment 451831

Gotta play the wind man. It’s the #1 rule. Success depends on it.

magnum

FNG
Good stuff, everyone. Be safe out there.

On Sunday I let elk fever get the best of me… I worked a bull, was presented a broadside shot, and sent an arrow 1 foot over his back.

The bull only slightly spooked after I shot. I immediately cow called to stop him. He returns roughly to where he was standing when I shot, lowers his head, and appears to begin raking a small tree. I prepare for the second chance the hunting gods are about to present to me. I need him to stop raking the tree and take two or three steps forward for another clear shot. Much to my chagrin, I realize he is not raking a tree… his head is lowered to the ground because he is sniffing the arrow I just launched over his back. He gets a good whiff of my scent from the arrow and decides it is best for him to exit the area as quickly as possible.

I tried and tried to find something to blame the miss on but it was simply elk fever and a poor shot. The bull sniffing my arrow was certainly an unexpected insult added to injury.

Injuries:
- Bull - 0
- Me - humbled ego

3 minutes after shoot time opening morning I called in a 6x6 and proceeded to shoot him somewhere that gave me 2” of penetration and he ran off never to be seen again. I was pulling out my knife and getting ready to start butchering before the shot. Don’t know what happened but he came from 300 yards bugling all the way to a cow call. It was like something from a primos video. Stopped at 29 yards and I let the perfect shot go. Made a loud wack and he ran off with 26” of arrow sticking out of his side. I would have bet my house I hit him in the V. Broadhead failure or shooter failure. I’ll never know…
I had a similar but different hunt yesterday…

It’s been a very slow season for action, lots of cows with no bulls, bulls that are around timid and quiet… yesterday I finally get a bull to crack off, and the whole scenario is laid out well for me, so I sneak down a little so I have as good of wind as possible, and a clear path up the ridge in case I need to March him down, but don’t think I will due to the scenario… I rip a short bugle, he cuts me off, I chuckle at him and I hear ferns swooshing and brush crashing… I won’t need to move.

He stops to bugle, I let him know I’m still right here, and rake a little, now he is seeming full commit… he’s close, I draw, after a bit I’m wondering why I can’t see him… look up and there is a tree flailing around above me 30 yds… let down, pick my bugle up and scream at him, set my bugle down, draw back, and here he comes like a good bull… I have my pin set for 20, knowing it will be close, but there is some big blowdown between us so he cuts right, stops to bugle, and I shoot, looked low, but I should be good, he’s slightly above me.

He wheeled, went back by the tree he was raking, and I could see his back line, head, neck and antlers… I’m hoping he dies in front of me, but as the minutes pass, my worry grows… he stood there about 15-20 minutes, then cows started chirping above him and he went up the hill a few yards, I could still see one side of his rack… about 10 minutes later he walked out of sight.

Long story not as long, I painfully waited 90 minutes to go look at my arrow, and I got over there, it didn’t look great, meat and fat.

Of course found a little blood for about 50yds, then followed track with the occasional drip. Made it about 200yds up the ridge, and he’s up the hill broadside… 51 yds, kinda twiggy, but I drew blood… take my time, execute a good shot and the branch I thought might be a problem was a problem…

Left and gave it time, shot at 7:30, got back in the woods at 1:30… long story short, jumped him and his cows at 6pm, 1200’ higher than where I had shot him…

Looked at the topo, this morning headed for where I thought they would end up, and if I didn’t cut sign, I would go back up to last known location and if all else fails, get back on tracks.

I guessed right, found them exactly where I thought they may be, and I got 110 yds from the bull before the wind swirled on me.. they must have just got a tiny bit of my wind

They went through a draw, up the other side, stopped for a few, then came right back under me… couldn’t see any arrow wound on his side anywhere, and he was sniffing asses chasing cows around.

The bull was 27yds, I shot for 20, and shot low… I have been walking around with my pin set at 25, but I thought that bull was going to come left, and it was going to be 9-10yds, but there was a bunch of blowdown between us hidden in the ferns he had to go around, and I thought he was closer than he was, I aimed for the pocket… now I’m back up on this mountain hoping to glass them up… I really despise making bad shots

UtahJimmy

WKR
Just a little reminder from my original post....

"What happened to you this year?"
Tweaked my back the first week of June building a retaining wall and fire pit in the backyard. I was feeling better the following weekend so I split and stacked a bunch of firewood. Big mistake!

I'm finally to the point where it's not bothering me everyday. I had to put my workouts on hold and just do light core exercises. Backcountry archery opener in Aug was rough as I was way out of shape but I managed. Now I'm feeling good so I just need to not do anything dumb to set myself back

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had a similar but different hunt yesterday…

It’s been a very slow season for action, lots of cows with no bulls, bulls that are around timid and quiet… yesterday I finally get a bull to crack off, and the whole scenario is laid out well for me, so I sneak down a little so I have as good of wind as possible, and a clear path up the ridge in case I need to March him down, but don’t think I will due to the scenario… I rip a short bugle, he cuts me off, I chuckle at him and I hear ferns swooshing and brush crashing… I won’t need to move.

He stops to bugle, I let him know I’m still right here, and rake a little, now he is seeming full commit… he’s close, I draw, after a bit I’m wondering why I can’t see him… look up and there is a tree flailing around above me 30 yds… let down, pick my bugle up and scream at him, set my bugle down, draw back, and here he comes like a good bull… I have my pin set for 20, knowing it will be close, but there is some big blowdown between us so he cuts right, stops to bugle, and I shoot, looked low, but I should be good, he’s slightly above me.

He wheeled, went back by the tree he was raking, and I could see his back line, head, neck and antlers… I’m hoping he dies in front of me, but as the minutes pass, my worry grows… he stood there about 15-20 minutes, then cows started chirping above him and he went up the hill a few yards, I could still see one side of his rack… about 10 minutes later he walked out of sight.

Long story not as long, I painfully waited 90 minutes to go look at my arrow, and I got over there, it didn’t look great, meat and fat.

Of course found a little blood for about 50yds, then followed track with the occasional drip. Made it about 200yds up the ridge, and he’s up the hill broadside… 51 yds, kinda twiggy, but I drew blood… take my time, execute a good shot and the branch I thought might be a problem was a problem…

Left and gave it time, shot at 7:30, got back in the woods at 1:30… long story short, jumped him and his cows at 6pm, 1200’ higher than where I had shot him…

Looked at the topo, this morning headed for where I thought they would end up, and if I didn’t cut sign, I would go back up to last known location and if all else fails, get back on tracks.

I guessed right, found them exactly where I thought they may be, and I got 110 yds from the bull before the wind swirled on me.. they must have just got a tiny bit of my wind

They went through a draw, up the other side, stopped for a few, then came right back under me… couldn’t see any arrow wound on his side anywhere, and he was sniffing asses chasing cows around.

The bull was 27yds, I shot for 20, and shot low… I have been walking around with my pin set at 25, but I thought that bull was going to come left, and it was going to be 9-10yds, but there was a bunch of blowdown between us hidden in the ferns he had to go around, and I thought he was closer than he was, I aimed for the pocket… now I’m back up on this mountain hoping to glass them up… I really despise making bad shots
Very similar. My bull trotted off and stood there for a good 5 minutes staring back at whatever made that god awful chirp. He was 78.5 yards. I had a tree between us, no shot. I kept waiting for him to fall over and the longer he stood the worse I felt. I finally snuck around the tree as he wandered off.

Spike elk

WKR

View attachment 451830

View attachment 451831

Clearly you need to improve your FOC.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would have bet my house I hit him in the V. Broadhead failure or shooter failure. I’ll never know…
You probably did hit him in the >........right on the apex of it.....the knuckle. Sure sounds like that. Been there, done that, don't want the T-shirt.......it sucks. I've blown through shoulder blades, humerus bones, and of course ribs with mechanicals without any issues, but I'm not getting through that knuckle even with a fixed blade.

Seeknelk

WKR
We all know that Sh!t happens and Man it happens quick!

As I was putting my arrow in my quiver the other evening, the broadhead happened to nick my knuckle.

Wow did it bleed since it was a nice clean cut.

What happened to you this year?

View attachment 451678
View attachment 451676
Ctazy how a little cut does this ,and then you shoot it right thru a critters chest and can't find blood sometimes

Very similar. My bull trotted off and stood there for a good 5 minutes staring back at whatever made that god awful chirp. He was 78.5 yards. I had a tree between us, no shot. I kept waiting for him to fall over and the longer he stood the worse I felt. I finally snuck around the tree as he wandered off.
That feeling is fresh, familiar, and non favorable… I normally don’t wait, usually wait 10 minutes and grab my arrow if I can find it, this scenario I forced myself to wait, and I could see my arrow in a rotten stump, but I knew the bull might still be right there, and I knew something wasn’t right about the shot, if I hit him good, I would already have him mostly cut up, but I was still optimistic that GK XL did it’s job… goes to show, the theory of shooting a hatchet at them doesn’t mean you can get away with a bad shot… I do think that will be my main broadheads going forward, as huge as they look, they are extremely easy to shoot well, and for a massive vented head, extremely quiet in flight.

Not that it will help, but a few years ago I had a broadhead fold up on a rib of likely the biggest bull I have let an arrow go on, at 4 steps… I’m still bitter about that..

Big heavy black horned 7x8 roosie, point blank shot, he trotted off, and I couldn’t shoot him again even though he was in no hurry to get away, the brush was so tall I could just see his antlers and head… he finally came up on a rise about 90yds and I could see blood running down his side perfect, surprising he made it that far, then he proceeds to the bottom, goes up to the right… a few minutes pass, a cow walked out feeding where he went up the ridge, than a few minutes later, a bull starts screaming his head off, which really had me confused… obviously not the bull I shot.

Wait 2 hrs knowing something wasn’t right, but I just shot him at 4 steps with a 642gr arrow and a buzz cut… start into the brush hopefully to find some blood to follow, and there was, quite a bit, I was relieved to see that… go about 20 yds and here is my arrow, with my broadhead folded up… wth?!

Long story short, tracked that bull 8hrs through some nasty stuff and finally bumped him out of bed, and he was 24 yds, facing straight away, I was at full draw waiting for an angle, and he never gave me one… I could have shot him in the ass, but at that point I knew he wasn’t in bad shape, and I didn’t want to take a horrible shot on him… had the shot been back or something, I would have shot that arrow… glad I didn’t shoot, because I was back on that bull 2 days later and he was rut crazed and healthy… second to last day of season I caught back up to them, and just couldn’t get any closer than about 60yds to that bull, he chased his nice satellite to me once, then losing light, he chased his satellite to me again, and I killed him.

That scenario was hard to make sense of, the broadhead didn’t take much to fold up, there is no way I was close to heavy bone, I watched him several minutes and saw the arrow wound clear as day… that was the last year of shooting those heads

Attachments

• 74BDFAEB-DD63-4A15-9283-092021F2BF41.jpeg
    74BDFAEB-DD63-4A15-9283-092021F2BF41.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 114

Ucsdryder

WKR
You probably did hit him in the >........right on the apex of it.....the knuckle. Sure sounds like that. Been there, done that, don't want the T-shirt.......it sucks. I've blown through shoulder blades, humerus bones, and of course ribs with mechanicals without any issues, but I'm not getting through that knuckle even with a fixed blade.
I think you might be right. My arrow stuck in and never came out. I was using lighted nocks and never found the arrow. When he was running off that strobe light was visible from space.

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
Called in a bear to my elk spot 2nd day in a row, different bigger bear than the one the day before. This one waddled up to 12 yards and just stared at me with his right paw casually laid across the log he was sitting behind and licked his chops constantly. I stood up and spoke to him, told him to leave, to shooo.....he didn't give a chit. No fear. Just curious. I think with the Nose Jammer I had sprayed on he thought I might be a tasty vanilla creme filled donut. I had the bear spray in my right hand with the safety off and my 10mm glock in my left just in case. After several minutes of this standoff I decided to give him a whiff of capsaicin to encourage him to fork off elsewhere....I pressed the button and the can went plllllluuuubbbbbbb and burbled brown goo. No spray. So drop the can and switch the 10mm to the right hand thinking.....I really don't want to shoot this bear. I waited to see if he was going to get aggressive or what....finally he wandered back off the way he came. Funny thing was it was an interesting encounter, I was not in fear......just hyper aware of him and judging his intentions. He was just curious. But first blackie I have encountered that showed no fear upon seeing me. That was a bit unnerving. Estimate he was a good 250-300lbs. Saw several bears this year. If you have a bear tag in 34 you should easily fill it.

View attachment 451830

View attachment 451831

Literally laughing out loud man, thank you!

Not this year, but to add to broadhead stories... Got in a hurry. Had a "dull" 4-blade Muzzy 100 on for practice. Couldn't find a wrench and thought I'd just unscrew by hand. It felt tighter than normal and broke loose all of a sudden. I knew immediately I'd just earned the Oscar for stupidity. I also knew it was bad and just grabbed it wrapped my left fist around my right index finger. A blind man could've followed the blood trail covering the 40 yards from my machine shed to the house.

I still carry the scar on my right index finger. From the first crease north halfway to the tip and then 90 degrees towards my middle finger. One trip to the ER for 9 stitches and a tetanus shot, and I was in the tree the next day. Stupid, stupid, move...

rclouse79

WKR
I’ve blown through numerous shoulder blades which is what really puzzles me. I’m thinking it had to be closer to the knuckle or a leg bone. The back few inches of a shoulder blade with my setup shouldn’t be an arrow stopper but I don’t know! Luckily I made up for it, but I don’t get to shoot many 6x6s where I hunt!

I don’t usually get too excited at crunch time but I did let out the most pitiful squeak when I tried to stop him with a cow call. It sure stopped him alright! I’m not sure who was more excited by the dreadful sound that came out of my mouth, him or me!!! 😂
I shot a little, ok a lot, high on a deer last weekend. I got a pass through the spine with a sevr 2.0 and dropped it like a sack of potatoes. I am embarrassed by the shot, but was impressed with penetration and blade condition after the shot. Sorry your shot didn't have better end result. I had one 2.0 in my quiver for deer and the rest were 1.5s for elk. I am shooting a similar arrow weight and speed to you.

Ended up in emergency back surgery last week sitting on 3 tags. So out for this season.
What was the surgery and when are the tags? you can likely still hunt. My second back surgery was first week of August about 10 years ago, I was deer hunting the last week of September. By deer hunting I mean sitting under a tree hoping a deer walked by. You will just have to adapt (get some help from buddies). Not going to be packing any elk quarters or loading deer in the truck by yourself.

It actually cost me my biggest blacktail. One of those days under that tree I sat down next to a bedded buck that I didn't know was there. After sitting there for 20 minutes it finally stood up like 30 yards away but I actually couldn't twist to shoot. I had to put my gun down, roll over to my stomach, do a push up and try to shoot it as it was running away. All bad

I was duck hunting relatively unencumbered by November.