Tikka 6.5. To cut or not to cut?

Mike 338

WKR
The best handling rifle I ever carried on the mountain was a Marlin 1895 lever action. Short and thin. Short rifles do have their advantages.

Read this thread and it got me wondering. I’m looking to save some weight on my Nosler patriot 6.5 284 Norma. Had a 26 inch barrel on it and now is slightly shorter barrel with a brake on it shooting over 2900 FPS with 140 grain Bergers. Any opinions if I’m crazy to do this? What do you guys think my velocity loss would be? Looks I’ll save about 1 ounce per inch I caught off?

Read this thread and it got me wondering. I’m looking to save some weight on my Nosler patriot 6.5 284 Norma. Had a 26 inch barrel on it and now is slightly shorter barrel with a brake on it shooting over 2900 FPS with 140 grain Bergers. Any opinions if I’m crazy to do this? What do you guys think my velocity loss would be? Looks I’ll save about 1 ounce per inch I caught off?

I’m guessing that you’ll lose approximately 25 ft./s/inch., maybe a tad bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell you the truth, the results for me were not that good. I couldnt find a load for it and ended up taking the .300 on the sheep hunt I bought it for. Ive had a busy summer and fall and havent got back to it.

Mr_Steve

FNG
Tell you the truth, the results for me were not that good. I couldnt find a load for it and ended up taking the .300 on the sheep hunt I bought it for. Ive had a busy summer and fall and havent got back to it.

I appreciate the reply. I just bought the Tikka T3x Superlite in 7mm-08. Contemplating cutting it down a couple inches and threading it for a muzzle break but your results have me hesitant.

You've bumped up two threads on short barrel Creeds. What are you wondering?
Happy with my 20 and 18" barrels I have on two rifles.
Your trade off is bullet weight/speed. I did the math with 130s and 140s, decided to just stick with the heavies and call it good.

OP
S

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
So, I posted this thread back when I got the rifle and still haven't cut the barrel. I hunted with it for 8 or 9 days last fall, but didn't get to shoot an animal. I still think, and thought while carrying it on that hunt, that a shorter barrel will be the way to go... My deer rifle this fall will be a fieldcraft that I bought a few months back. It has a 21" barrel and shoots and feels awesome. The tikka is an fantastic shooter too and I'm definitely not getting rid of it. I'm sure glad that I have a gun problem...

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I had a T3 300wsm cut down to 20”. Absolute pleasure to carry. I wish less rifles were fluted from the factory. Makes cutting them down less enticing.

Geewhiz

WKR
38569336.jpg