Tikka 6.5. To cut or not to cut?

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like the consensus is cut it. I'm leaning toward a 21" finished product. I'll report back with how it turns out. Thanks again

both my boys have Fieldcraft 6.5 CM's that came with 21" barrels so I cut my superlight to 21" - no regrets for ANY reason

Keep it long and run Reloader 26 in your Creedmoor. You’ll be pushing 140’s 2850 I’d guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get it cut square and a good clean muzzle crown is critical

Never found this to be true. Had a couple ragged, jagged hacksaw barrels shoot as tight as before the chop.

Once I went to sub 20” don’t think it’ll be anything but truck based hunts with the long barrels.

Scary as shit dropping down cliffs and ur rifle gets caught in rocks. Or sidling cliff band on a bit of an overhang.

Not sure there’s anything in America quite light monekey scrub but a few 500 yard bash and every barrel a guy owns gets chopped. Cordova, hoonah, yak, they ain’t got shit on monkey scrub.

Chop it to 18, and copy luke with a case full of reloder 26 and beat your factory 24” loads

Decker9

WKR
my setup isn’t to far off of what your using, I cut my t3 6.5 Swede down to 20” and fluted and am loving it!!
It started as 22” iirc, Iv never measured the bullet velocity, but I don’t really shoot more then 400’ish yards. I can’t say it’s more or less accurate, but it does seem to shoot a wider range of bullets better, and possibly more consistent
When I do my part, these are the norm with 140 grain pills.
197DC1B9-AC18-48CF-8282-46C6D254A276.jpeg

I've never regretted cutting down a barrel. Not even once. And I have four barrel stubs to show for it now.

The gain in handling and balance is always worth it to me and every single one has shot better after the chop.

My current 6.5 CM barrel is 20" and it's a tack driver.

Last edited:

mt100gr.

WKR
For a weight reference - This is just under 4.5 inches worth of kimber stainless steel with a .264 bore. Finished length is right about 17.25 inches and it handles very well. I did mine myself with a chop saw and it shoots better than with the factory crown.20190320_175648.jpg

Last edited:
For a weight reference - This is just under 4.5 inches worth of kimber stainless steel with a .264 bore. Finished length is right about 17.25 inches and it handles very well. I did mine myself with a chop saw and it shoots better than with the factory crown.
Well...I guess that blows "crowning" right out the window

Dusty2426

WKR

Dusty2426

WKR
It’s so simple to square a crown off with an oversized bullet and lapping compound why not go thru the extra effort. It is the last place a bullet touches as it leave the barrel I’m not saying you need to machine a fancy 12° crown. Just dress it off so bullet leaves square to the bore

It’s so simple to square a crown off with an oversized bullet and lapping compound why not go thru the extra effort. It is the last place a bullet touches as it leave the barrel I’m not saying you need to machine a fancy 12° crown. Just dress it off so bullet leaves square to the bore
I knew an old school gunsmith in Lostine OR who commonly used a marble
I suppose if the cut is square why not ?

mt100gr.

WKR
I crowned my cut. I just posted that picture, as stated, for a weight-loss reference.

I used the hemispherical head of a carriage bolt for mine. I don't think I could stand leaving it unfinished. Easy and fun DIY project. 20190320_130934.jpg

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
This is interesting. I have a Bergara Ridge with a 24" barrel I picked up last year. I've been considering shortening it so it's not so unwieldy with a can on it. I'm not into long range shooting, but I'm still hung up on getting it cut and rethreaded. decisions decisions.

Dang remind me to never follow you into the monkey scrub. I'll be just carrying a pistol from the sounds of it.

But yes shorty barrels are where its at for me. Still carry plenty of velocity to expand as far as I need to be shooting at critters.

Even my short 16" barrel 6.5 CM carries 147s at 1800 fps at 700 yards....thats plenty far for my uses with that rifle.

BigHink66

FNG
Just exactly how thick is the brush where you hunt?

I suggest the idea of a 3” difference in length and a 4 oz difference in weight making your rifle “handier” is more in your head than you’ll realize when holding the finished product.

My guess is you’ll realize more of a difference when you go to sell it and it brings several hundred less than it would have.

mt100gr.

WKR

I suggest the idea of a 3” difference in length and a 4 oz difference in weight making your rifle “handier” is more in your head than you’ll realize when holding the finished product.

My guess is you’ll realize more of a difference when you go to sell it and it brings several hundred less than it would have.
When your rifle doesn't hang below your waistbelt and doesn't stick above your head, it's handier. No question.

I usually carry a longer rifle when I am hunting certain areas but if I am along on a hunt where an opportunity for me to shoot a bear/wolf/?? Is a possibility but not the priority, I carry the shorty. It's under 6lbs and doesn't cause me any grief.

And it's fun.

Not the least bit worried about resale.

slick

WKR

Edit: Let them answer for themselves

Last edited: