Tikka Prefits Recommendations

OP
T
Why can’t we have the things we want when we want them🥲

Hahaha ain’t that the truth. I do think I found a solution, I can get a 25 cal or 6mm cal carbon blank barrel, then sent to a reputable gunsmith that can thread and chamber. Only issue is it would be a barrel nut setup and I’d be hoping to use the sticky VG or the Rokstok so I imagine I’d have to sand down the inside of the stock to fit the barrel nut

Or I just wait for an unknownmuntions barrel. Though decisions lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HGL

FNG

wyosam

WKR
Hahaha ain’t that the truth. I do think I found a solution, I can get a 25 cal or 6mm cal carbon blank barrel, then sent to a reputable gunsmith that can thread and chamber. Only issue is it would be a barrel nut setup and I’d be hoping to use the sticky VG or the Rokstok so I imagine I’d have to sand down the inside of the stock to fit the barrel nut

Why would it be set up with a barrel nut? Smith would more than likely just do a standard shoulder?

I'm working with Blaine at UM right now on a 25-284 barrel. He's been very responsvie, transparent, and provided all relevant details.

Guys have opinions on hand dialed vs. CNC, and this is my first custom barrel job and I'd rather have a guy I can talk to that did all the work vs. taking the risk on a dud from a 100% machined barrel.

Also, while I'm handy enough with tools to remove and spin on a Tikka barrel, for only $100 or so extra, I'd rather have a pro do it and check the headspace, etc...

EDIT: .25 cal barrels from ACE are being targeted for June-ish timeframe.

Last edited:
OP
T
Why would it be set up with a barrel nut? Smith would more than likely just do a standard shoulder?

Some smiths don’t like to do prefits even with tikkas

OP
T
If a smith is doing it, just give the action with the barrel and have them fit it.

That would be the easy button but I don’t trust any local smiths, so it would have to ship an action to them and that’s tricky

1708016207093.png

wyosam

WKR
That would be the easy button but I don’t trust any local smiths, so it would have to ship an action to them and that’s tricky

Seems like you’re making this really complicated. Just order a prefit and deal with the wait, or by a blank and have it fitted by a smith. Chances are decent the wait will end up about the same either way if you don’t have an “in” with a smith. Shipping an action to a smith is as simple as putting it in a box. It’s not a transfer. I’ve sent quite a few for coating and all have gone in a usps small flat rate box.

yeah, not sure how this thread is still dragging on. multiple options have been provided to give the OP exactly what he wants including timeline, at this point it is about like watching Congress "work" on the budget for FY24.

If a legit gunsmith can’t do this, you need a new gunsmith

It's not always so much a cant as it is a "prefer not to" type deal. Currently have a tikka action with a smith who created the CNC program for AI NA that is used to chamber their barrels. I'm sure he's as capable of cutting to a spec as most smiths out there doing tikka prefits. He told me tikkas are close but hes not quite comfortable doing a prefit before having a given tikka action in hand for the first barrel. If he is that particular about it, it was easy enough to send him an action. And the wait time is shorter than the big prefit outfits.