To Non Residents Considering Wyoming Moose Preference Points

Laramie

WKR
To any non residents who are considering starting to buy Wyoming Moose Preference Points-
2353 non residents bought their first moose preference point in Wyoming last year bringing the total number of people waiting for a moose permit up to 11,964. Since Wyoming is now only giving out around 30 bull permits yearly, a new person entering is projected to wait 398 years before drawing. Unless a person plans to try to outlive those in front of them, there is zero reason to buy moose preference points. Even the few cow tags available will take several decades to draw.

To those non residents who are already invested-
*If you have less than 10 points, your chances of drawing before you die are slim to none. Your best chance is to outlive and outlast the thousands of people ahead of you to some day be able to use your walker to steady your rifle for the shot at 90 years old.
*If you have 15 points, you are currently looking at just shy of 3,000 people in front of you. It will take about 94 years before you reach the top. Your chances of drawing a bull permit before you die are also slim but if you are young enough, it may be worth waiting for the chance.
*If you have 20 points currently, you only have 848 people ahead of you! Only 28 more years to go before you reach the top...

Seriously people, why are we still giving the WG&F our money for this? Is it the hope that they will go random some day with weighted points? If they do that a person would have less than a 1 in 400 chance the first year and it would go downhill from there. There is no scenario where it makes sense to buy points unless you want to donate to the WG&F. Even then, I would argue there are much better places to donate your money.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
There will be thousands of people buying their first WY sheep and moose points in 2023.
Oh I know- just can't believe people throw money away like that. Hell of a racket they have.

Rich M

WKR
Does the draw include the random part like ADE do? If yes, then its worth it. The random odd exceeds the points odds.

Buying Nonresident Wyoming moose points is a Sisyphean task.

Support conservation and feel like you contributed. I buy them as part of my “I Gotta Draw Some Damn Premium Tag Sooner or Later” strategy.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

CJ19

WKR
There will be thousands of people buying their first WY sheep and moose points in 2023.
chairman of WY Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Buzz Hettick went and provided official comment in support of robbing NR the chance to hunt the big 5 after years of points purchases. All while simulatiously asking NR residents to donate money to fund and support the corner crossing case.

Im sure he will be providing similar comment to limit the amount of NR deer, antelope, and elk tags too. Thanks for the cash suckers. Did i mention he rubbed it in their faces here and on hunttalk.

Last edited:

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I quit Wyoming Moose years ago because it wasn’t worth it, glad I made that choice. I got an ID shiras and maybe one day I’ll draw Montana before I’m crippled.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
There's a lot of tags I have no idea why people buy. My opinion has always been that if a person can not reasonably expect to draw in 5-8 years with preference points, then it should go to 100% random draw. Clearly not everyone is going to get a chance at the rarest of animals in the lower USA like moose, bighorn, and mountain goat. Using preference points did nothing but turn the most physically demanding hunts into a rich old mans game. Sheesh, the preference points aren't cheap either. $150 per year? Good lord, put that $150 away, and in 10 years your trip to Canada is half paid for.

Reactions: OMB

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
chairman of WY Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Buzz Hettick went and provided official comment in support of robbing NR the chance to hunt the big 5 after years of points purchases. All while simulatiously asking NR residents to donate money to fund and support the corner crossing case.

Im sure he will be providing similar comment to limit the amount of NR deer, antelope, and elk tags too. Thanks for the cash suckers. Did i mention he rubbed it in their faces here and on hunttalk.
Buying Nonresident Wyoming moose points is a Sisyphean task.

Support conservation and feel like you contributed. I buy them as part of my “I Gotta Draw Some Damn Premium Tag Sooner or Later” strategy.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.
that will be easier to have a system that is providing the option to support wildlife and enviromnent by sending money instead of that tag dream system but that s just me.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Honestly, it's their own fault. A little due diligence, like the OP has shown, isn't that hard. If you pissed away the money and years without doing it, I for one can't feel sorry for you. Math doesn't lie.
Anywhere from 3-15 years ago the system looked a whole lot different. It was reasonable to expect to draw a tag. Since the change to 90-10, that is no longer the case.

I happen to be one of those guys sitting on an investment in points that I probably will never get a chance to use. In 2015 I was only 1 point away. I remained 1-2 points away for several years and then 90-10 hit and now it looks bleak.

My reasoning for starting the thread truly was to hopefully save some poor saps from throwing money away that will never provide them a chance at a tag.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Does the draw include the random part like ADE do? If yes, then its worth it. The random odd exceeds the points odds.
There are only 2 areas with enough permits to offer any in the random. Areas 25 and 26 offer 1 random tag each. Area 25 was a 1 in 571 chance last year. Area 26 was a 1 in 300 chance last year.

You are technically correct but those odds wouldn't make many people throw $165 per year for the chance.

Bottom line is moose points are a complete waste of money. If someone want to donate to conservation, direct it towards one of the non-profits that is making a difference.