To Non Residents Considering Wyoming Moose Preference Points

Pretty much all states are relying on people being bad at math when it comes to Moose draws. Look at Idaho (best odds in the west) at whatever it was this last year out of pocket for a moose app (I think 330.00 ish) average it to 5% odds and your looking at 20 years X 333.00= 6,600.00 plus 2626.00 when you draw and your at 9,286.00 before you even start the hunt! and that’s if the odds hold and the prices don’t increase (which neither of those things are going to happen).

You should still be able to DIY AK for 10k and have way more of an adventure and not have to wait 20 years.
I think applying "years to draw" in a random odds state is also being bad at math.

Otherwise, I agree.

chairman of WY Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Buzz Hettick went and provided official comment in support of robbing NR the chance to hunt the big 5 after years of points purchases. All while simulatiously asking NR residents to donate money to fund and support the corner crossing case.

Im sure he will be providing similar comment to limit the amount of NR deer, antelope, and elk tags too. Thanks for the cash suckers. Did i mention he rubbed it in their faces here and on hunttalk.
I am invested in applying in most every western state, for most every species, however, even I couldn’t justify applying for moose in Wyoming as a non-resident. OP nailed it. Buzz has played a leading role in pretty much every effort to eliminate non-resident hunting opportunity in Wyoming. And he really loves to rub it in the faces of all the non-resident hunters, aka “whiners”.

ckleeves

WKR
I think applying "years to draw" in a random odds state is also being bad at math.

Otherwise, I agree.
Oh I’m not saying it’s accurate you could draw your first year or go 40 years striking out. I believe an odds calculator actually puts it at a 64% chance of hitting once in those 20 years so it’s even worse then my example.

Oh I’m not saying it’s accurate you could draw your first year or go 40 years striking out. I believe an odds calculator actually puts it at a 64% chance of hitting once in those 20 years so it’s even worse then my example.
That's pretty much how I look at my Colorado moose odds. I buy the point because I'm a resident but really, I know I will probably die without drawing.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
That's pretty much how I look at my Colorado moose odds. I buy the point because I'm a resident but really, I know I will probably die without drawing.
If I were a resident, I would definitely keep applying. Not only is it a lot cheaper, you should eventually have a shot.

MQQSE

FNG
To put our view in perspective. My wife happily “dumped” her 20 NR moose points for a cow tag. I now am hoping to have the chance to get rid of my 23 sheep points as fast as possible too.

We chose the cow hunt for her to experience a high quality moose hunt in a nice area rather than wait for the system to further change and possibly further water down two decades of points.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
To put our view in perspective. My wife happily “dumped” her 20 NR moose points for a cow tag. I now am hoping to have the chance to get rid of my 23 sheep points as fast as possible too.

We chose the cow hunt for her to experience a high quality moose hunt in a nice area rather than wait for the system to further change and possibly further water down two decades of points.
That has been a common theme over the past few years.

KHNC

WKR
chairman of WY Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Buzz Hettick went and provided official comment in support of robbing NR the chance to hunt the big 5 after years of points purchases. All while simulatiously asking NR residents to donate money to fund and support the corner crossing case.

Im sure he will be providing similar comment to limit the amount of NR deer, antelope, and elk tags too. Thanks for the cash suckers. Did i mention he rubbed it in their faces here and on hunttalk.
Fk that guy buzz. Glad we dont have to read any more of his crap here.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Still way better than a person's odds on Wyoming though. At least you have a realistic shot at drawing over the years.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Those guys are pretty cheap. 12 years of points + tag cost or a guided bull hunt now for the same money. Seems like an easy choice...

The more I look into it, the more I kind of want to now. Less than a 10 hour drive from my house. There's a very real chance I'll be giving these guys a call next year.

Big338

FNG
I dumped 13 moose points on cow moose 2 years ago and couldn’t be happier. Amazing meat and fun hunt. I already have 66” Yukon bull.
Definitely becoming more meat hunter then trophy and glad I am. Older females taste better anyway, plus way way cheaper !

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
I dumped 13 moose points on cow moose 2 years ago and couldn’t be happier. Amazing meat and fun hunt. I already have 66” Yukon bull.
Definitely becoming more meat hunter then trophy and glad I am. Older females taste better anyway, plus way way cheaper !
With the price doubling, not sure it's worth it anymore for a cow. 2k+ seems crazy...

aussiehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use to buy in few different states for different species, but stopped two years ago. Once you do the maths chances are slim so no point wasting my money on a ghost.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Elk is no better.

If a guy is just starting now he'll never draw using points. It will be forever random .

At least it's cheaper to eat 4 elk points than 18 moose points.
I get your frustration but that isn't accurate at all. A person can draw elk permits in a reasonable time frame. Now if you are taking the premium units, I agree. However at least a person can draw a cow tag in a great area or lesser bull tags in just a few years.

Go to the 31:00 mark re moose and sheep going to squared bonus pt system. She doesn't say it's definitely going to, but said it is likely to come back, and historically, things that keep coming back eventually get approved:

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Go to the 31:00 mark re moose and sheep going to squared bonus pt system. She doesn't say it's definitely going to, but said it is likely to come back, and historically, things that keep coming back eventually get approved:

That is them dangling the carrot. Essentially they want the idea out there to encourage people to keep buying points. Some people will foolishly but it and continue.

I'm sure plenty of people want it but they will face legal actions if they make the change... otherwise it would have already happened this year.

I have been contacted by 2 different attorneys who are ready if it ever happens. No clue how it would shake out but I don't believe there is a good outcome that is possible for either side. There just aren't enough moose to go around and the state can't afford to refund everyone who bought in. Sad situation the WG&F created...