Trail Weight vs. Package Weight

Loper

WKR
I have a big tent for camping with my family, but I need to purchase my first lightweight backpakcing tent. I've been researching tents and on some of the retailers and manufacturers websites there are two different weights displayed, one is trail weight and the other is package weight. From the research I've done online, the package weight is not just the tent, but also the accessories. Should I be paying attention to both listed weights, or just the trail weight when doing my research and making my purchase decision? Thanks!

I apologize if this has been mentioned in a previous post, but I searched the forum before posting to see if I could find the answer and didn't come across anything.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
It depends on what is included with the tent and what you expect to need. In my experience trail wieght represents a minimalist approach and what I fined is actually needed comes out to wiegh more. Trail wieght, to me, represents an attempt to make a product look lighter than it actually is. Though it can be useful if you already know the stakes, stuff sack, Etc you will use.

BBob

WKR
^^^Prety much same here. I find my actual weight ends up somewhere in between trail and packaged weights but leans closer to trail weight. The difference for me tends to be how many guy-lines you think you'll need plus the extra stakes for them then adding whatever ground sheet you choose if you choose to use one.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Thank you as this is helpful and good to know.

So a follow up question: is it not always necessary to use all the guylines and stakes included?

BBob

WKR
Thank you as this is helpful and good to know.

So a follow up question: is it not always necessary to use all the guylines and stakes included?
Most of the time no. If weather is looking good I'll leave the extra at home or in the truck. Some tents I've used I never put all the guy lines on and never missed them. If you are going high altitude above timberline you probably want to pack them unless you are guaranteed to be setting up in a sheltered valley or cut. Those places like to create their own weather systems and a forecast from a valley floor may not be accurate. All that said some tents need side pullouts and guy lines to keep the sidewalls away from you (Big Agnes Seedhouse series is a good example). In dry low humidity this may not matter but at times you may want it.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Most of the time no. If weather is looking good I'll leave the extra at home or in the truck. Some tents I've used I never put all the guy lines on and never missed them. If you are going high altitude above timberline you probably want to pack them unless you are guaranteed to be setting up in a sheltered valley or cut. Those places like to create their own weather systems and a forecast from a valley floor may not be accurate. All that said some tents need side pullouts and guy lines to keep the sidewalls away from you (Big Agnes Seedhouse series is a good example). In dry low humidity this may not matter but at times you may want it.
This makes sense. I appreciate the insight on this.