Truck Camper Shells

Any recommendations on brand/model for a truck bed camper shell? Not trying to do one of those extensive build outs, might just put a cot back there, but it's kind of hard to compare all the options out there.

ODB

WKR
I have a leer 100r on my tundra but if you get one might upgrade to the better glass door. Those knuckleheads at leer do not run the door trim low enough and it leaves a big gap that gets watery. I ended up adding a piece of angle aluminum to extend each side as well as some more weatherstripping.

That said the rest of the quality is good. The color matches perfectly (army green).

gman82001

WKR
My leer is ok I picked it up used stupid cheap so I’m happy but full price id have complaints about windows closing and staying closed a few things like that.

I’ve had good luck with my ARE for a 2017 tacoma. At the time I didn’t think I needed the side opening windows but really wish I would have just spent the money and got them. That being said, the fixed side windows are stronger and less likely to leak, less locks to deal with, etc. Snugtop makes nice toppers from what I’ve heard. There are multiple dealers for them in Denver. Not sure where you are located though…

I found an older aluminum one on Craigslist for $250. It fits good enough and I only put it on when I need it.

Luked

WKR
Dont go with SnugTop either.
Love my Snugtop shell, but getting parts are the issue. This past winter my truck was sitting in the driveway, nothing around it and the lift glass just blew out. Contacted the nearest dealer which is over 2 hours away and was told that since the factory has moved to Mexico now to get my glass I have to pay ahead of time, then wait for that dealer to get a truckload of shells from the factory and they will send my glass along with the order of shells. The problem with that is the Snugtop shells are almost twice the cost of the Leer shells and they hardly ever order any. So i might pay then wait months or a year to get a replacement glass for mine.
Finally jsut took mine off the truck.

Ranch were the least expensive that I could find. Factory paint matched and strong. No issues or leaks in the 5 years since I bought one.

ODB

WKR
I found an older aluminum one on Craigslist for $250. It fits good enough and I only put it on when I need it.

I wish I havd a super tall garage because I’d install a pulley system to take my cap off easily. A friend had an old hard top convertible Mercedes and did that. Easy peasy.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
When I started this research I saw all of the above... "_________ is ok, but I really wish _______, seems cheap for what I paid..." I decided to save myself the heartache/regret and bought an RSI Smartcap. Stainless Steel, functional gullwing windows, modular for later add ons... Absolutely Zero regrets...

S.Clancy

WKR
I got one on Craigslist for 100$. No way would I pay what these topper companies want brand new, them is crazy prices for what you are getting.

I'd highly recommend one with side opening windows so you can reach in. And ibuse and old hoe handle with the hoe blade broken off to carry in the bed and hook, drag and push things so I don't have to climb everything something slides to the front.

TSAMP

WKR
Seems like Leer had better hinges compared to ARE. I'd say If your comparing fiberglass toppers it probably doesn't matter go find one used and run with it. If I was buying a new one I'd be leaning the smart topper direction. The fiberglass is not precise by nature and no way I'd pay 3k for that bathtub quality.

I'm really happy with my second Leer. I'm so glad I paid for the option of having my canopy door lock wired in to my Ford central locking system. No more separate locking procedure for the canopy.

Jeffro

FNG
I went with a SoftTopper canopy for my truck. It has been on the truck for nearly 5yrs now, and looks as good as the day I installed it. No noticeable wear on any of the canvas. I can remove it from the truck in 5min by myself. VERY HAPPY I went this route!! What ever you end up with, make sure you have side access.

Last edited:
i have safari by unicover on both my trucks and they both have been good. Definitely recommend a topper that has the flip-out side windows.

Neighbor has an RSI, seems pretty sweet. I’ve got a Snugtop with the opening side windows and I love it. No issues at all in the last 4 years.