Truck Camper Shells

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I've heard the swing out side windows are preferable to the sliding windows. Any truth to that? Looks like the ARE's are much more customizable compared to the Leer.

WKR
It really seems hit or miss. Just had an ARE with side opening windows. I liked it but it did leak some. Had a Snugtop, nice shell that also leaked. Had another ARE in between those, leaked. Have heard multiple reports of RSI shells leaking as well.

Based on this thread will look up the Ranch toppers. I pretty much figure they'll leak too. Side opening/locking windows are a must for me to unlock dog kennels with.

The swing out side windows are nice so you can reach in and grab stuff from the side. I know… captain obvious!

I’ve had both the regular and the swing out, ands it’s a nice (but not required) feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on my second Leer fiberglass top. Both been great with no issues. Bought both used. Had to paint first one. Stripped everything off ( all windows ) and took bare cap to bodyshop for color match truck paint job...1200 total in that one.

Current one I found in the correct color for 900. For the cost savings I would look hard for used and repaint even if needed.

I mean I've got 2100 In Two tops that new would have run me 6-8k. I'd run ARE, Ranch or Leer, used if it meant saving that kind of coin.

I bought a snugtop brand new four years ago. It leaked through the light above the back glass on day one. The lock/handle freezes as soon as it even gets close to 32deg. and won’t operate, the button to unlock from the inside takes a pair pliers to be pulled back out to reset, one sliding window works great, the other takes full strength to get half way open, the cable that goes from the handle to door latch broke. I think that’s it. So for what you pay vs what you get, my opinion is that snugtop is run by scumbag thieves and built by drunks.

Iceman82

FNG
I would love to get a smart cap. For the F350 it is still out quite a bit yet.
Will try to get one by fall

I just called a good friend that is a dealer for smart cap after seeing them posted here. He’s had one on order for a customer since September and they keep telling him “two more weeks”.

Wheels

WKR
I have a Century on my truck, no complaints. The dealer told me there are only a couple manufacturers anymore but they put different brand names on the caps and tweak a few things for the “high end” caps.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I got my latest F-350 long bed I researched new toppers and just couldn't bring myself to pay that kind of money. I found a white Century fiberglass topper locally that was made for the Super Duty's so sized correctly, for $300. It's been on the truck for 14 years now. It works great.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I watched a review on the smartcaps and there's apparently no way to open it from the inside?? Seems like a major design flaw...
Not entirely true... On mine I have side sliding widows on the gullwing. Slide those open and pop the gullwing with an outstretched arm. Do the same for the other side, then reach around the corners and open the rear. rsi1.jpg
rsi2.jpg
rsi3.jpg
Also, don't let someone lock you in there...

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Well the plan was to lock myself in there haha. I guess that's not a huge hassle, just gotta make sure I don't drop the keys reaching around. Or get -44 offset wheels and enter/exit from the side lol.

Not fully sure the fiberglass canopies have better interior access to the locks and latches anyway, so maybe not a fair criticism of just the smartcap.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like my RSI SmartCap. So, that is my recommendation.

WoodBow

WKR
I really want one of the smart caps but dang are they proud of them. And they are always on back order. If I'm dropping 5k, I want it shipping tomorrow.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
A friend has a new RSI Smartcap and the quality seems so much better than any other cap I've interacted with. And the price and lead time was similar for me (in AK) as any of the other brands. That said, it only comes in roof-height, and I need a mid-rise, so I just paid full price for a new ARE (it's disgusting how much they cost, and the used market in AK is too slim pickings).

I previously had an mid-rise ARE on a Tacoma for a decade. It worked great. I chose ARE then (and now) because the "sportsmans" windows allow access to gear from the outside and also have sliders with insect screens that allow ventilation while sleeping in it. I didn't see this option from the other brands. If I wasn't sleeping in it, then it would be a toss up which brand I went with

After previously sleeping in an ARE and upgrading to a used GFC last year, I can never go back. More room and storage options plus it just looks cool. But most importantly I’ve never slept better 🤙🏾

7mm-08

WKR
In the spring of 2022 and after a 6-month wait, I purchased a new ARE MX shell for a low-mileage 2003 Tundra I bought in the fall of 2021. It was practically impossible to find a used shell because (it seems) everyone with a first-generation Tundra is on the lookout for one. It nearly killed me to pay $3,000 for a shell to go on a truck that is nearly 20 years old, but that's what I did. Like the OP, I had no intention of doing a buildout to convert it into a camper. It pains me to say it, but I am very pleased with the canopy - I just don't like the money it cost me to purchase it. I am a camp at the trailhead guy for the first night and throwing a memory foam mattress on the bed has been awesome. Unlike some who have posted, I do not have the longevity with the shell to really provide meaningful long-term insight, but (thus far), I'm REALLY happy with it. I did not get opening side windows because I'd have to stand on a milk crate to reach anything in the bed. That said, if I was driving a lower truck like a Tacoma, that would be a viable consideration. Good luck with your decision.

ShawnStonefly

Lil-Rokslider
Found a used leer 100xr, no complaints or major leaks. The side window screens are nice for sleeping in the back. Wouldn't get the keyless entry if I bought it new, then again don't think I'd ever buy a new topper at their current prices.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
In the spring of 2022 and after a 6-month wait, I purchased a new ARE MX shell ...... It nearly killed me to pay $3,000 for a shell...... I am very pleased with the canopy - I just don't like the money it cost me to purchase it.

FYI. I just paid $5250 for that cap.
($1,200 of that is the AK Life tax - shipping. we pay crazy shipping on everything)

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 8.08.44 AM.png

Brado16

WKR
I guess I’m the minority with the RSI Smartcap…. I have had mine since September and the exterior locks did not stand up to the salt on the northern WI Roads and became corroded, and barley open and close. Also, the paint on my rear hatched flaked off on the rear lip and started to rust. I did reach out to RSI and they did offer to make it right and shipped me new replacement locks and a new rear panel but locks and panel were back ordered about 2 months. Nothing but positive to say about the customer service, but to drop 5K on a topper where the pain flakes off and starts to rust does have me concerned if/when this will occur on the other panels. Next truck will be another fiberglass topper.

c567f50dbda4134990463464df81f697.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ed0bbef29f080692ec6361252d133b09.jpg