TSS = Bang Flop

Federal TSS = Bang Flop. TSS is so deadly, these birds never flopped. Just instant death before they hit the ground.
No more 12 ga. Downsized to a 20. I have never been so impressed by ammo before.

My 20ga double barrel for some reason fired both barrels when my son shot his bird at 6 yards. Nearly cut his head in two, but he did flop around for a bit. I buy the Herter's cheapies.

Federal TSS = Bang Flop. TSS is so deadly, these birds never flopped. Just instant death before they hit the ground.
No more 12 ga. Downsized to a 20. I have never been so impressed by ammo before.
TSS is great stuff. I handload my stuff. My little 20ga M2 is a joy to carry around vs the old blocky 12ga ive used in the past. Some of this doesnt matter to everyone but i cover a lot of ground in rough terrain in the eastern mountains and it works great for me.

I pay $235 to hunt a neighboring state for a turkey and another $100 in gas to get there, the $8 it costs for me to load a shell is nothing in the big scheme of things.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
For me it gave me the confidence to hunt with my grandfather’s Model 12, last time I shot #5 turkey shot at a target I completely missed the head with a centered pattern at 30 yards.

Did a test with the same ammo at 40 yards, barely got 3 in the kill zone with a highly random pattern.
IMG_1053.jpeg

Herters TSS on the other hand, half the pattern size and 5x more hits in the kill zone.
IMG_1052.jpeg

Now I’ve never killed a turkey but I’d pay a few extra dollar when I pull the trigger to not miss on a perfectly aimed shot just because of random chance.

For me it gave me the confidence to hunt with my grandfather’s Model 12, last time I shot #5 turkey shot at a target I completely missed the head with a centered pattern at 30 yards.

Did a test with the same ammo at 40 yards, barely got 3 in the kill zone with a highly random pattern.
View attachment 707162

Herters TSS on the other hand, half the pattern size and 5x more hits in the kill zone.
View attachment 707163

Now I’ve never killed a turkey but I’d pay a few extra dollar when I pull the trigger to not miss on a perfectly aimed shot just because of random chance.

Use caution with something as hard as TSS in a Model 12.

I'm not well versed in them, but with my Auto 5's I won't use steel in anything with a fixed choke.

Not saying you can't, but those barrels weren't made for shot as hard as we are using now.

More open choke, the better off you will be.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Use caution with something as hard as TSS in a Model 12.

I'm not well versed in them, but with my Auto 5's I won't use steel in anything with a fixed choke.

Not saying you can't, but those barrels weren't made for shot as hard as we are using now.

More open choke, the better off you will be.

In my research it seemed like the biggest issue was large diameter steel not compressing which caused bulges in the tighter chokes on older barrels. Even today a Full rated steel choke is only a modified for lead.

With TSS guys are using chokes from .670” down to .640” and not damaging their chokes so I figured it would be fine to shoot maybe once a year using a 1.5 oz load in my 0.70” barrel.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’m in on the TSS, 40 yards with a .410!!! Let’s go! People buy coffee and lickies and chewies for 25$ and spend 15$ driving to hunt and balk at a 4-5$ shell if you grab them on sale. Heck the heavy blend 5,6,7 is also lights out, outta a 20ga and a little less expensive.

In my research it seemed like the biggest issue was large diameter steel not compressing which caused bulges in the tighter chokes on older barrels. Even today a Full rated steel choke is only a modified for lead.

With TSS guys are using chokes from .670” down to .640” and not damaging their chokes so I figured it would be fine to shoot maybe once a year using a 1.5 oz load in my 0.70” barrel.

The TSS chokes are way harder than barrel steel.

Most of the problem is with bridging hard shot, as long as you are aware it can happen, cool.

Eleven

FNG
I just bought my first rounds of TSS today. Not sure why really, just starting doing the research a week ago and then kinda became obsessed. My 50 yd pattern with TSS #9 looks way better than my 30 yard pattern with #5 lead. And I’ve killed a lot of turkey with the #5 lead. My 20 yard pattern with TSS is unbelievable. From the studies I’ve read the density and penetration of the #9 TSS is pretty amazing too. I’m not sure I’ll go back to lead after this.

MidwayUSA has their TSS turkey loads on sale right now, 20ga, 12ga and 410.

Used TSS for the first time this year, it worked well. Bird didn’t even flop once, just dropped. To be honest though long beard works just fine for me. After I get through this box I’m not sure I’ll pay the extra money again for it.

RS3579

WKR
We just used browning tss out of a 410 for my son. He hit a little lower than anticipated. It was about a 12-13 yard shot. The bird jumped and then walked away about 60yds and then fell over. I don’t think that would have happened with any other ammo type. I’m glad we used tss.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I use both Federal TSS 20 ga and Winchester 12 ga long beards. The new loads are incredible. I killed a pair of turkeys last year at 60 and 65 yards with the long beards. Only complaint about #9 is tiny BBs occasionally in the meat

Bluefish

WKR
I just bought my first rounds of TSS today. Not sure why really, just starting doing the research a week ago and then kinda became obsessed. My 50 yd pattern with TSS #9 looks way better than my 30 yard pattern with #5 lead. And I’ve killed a lot of turkey with the #5 lead. My 20 yard pattern with TSS is unbelievable. From the studies I’ve read the density and penetration of the #9 TSS is pretty amazing too. I’m not sure I’ll go back to lead after this.

MidwayUSA has their TSS turkey loads on sale right now, 20ga, 12ga and 410.
I have reviewed pheasants that I took with 9.5 TSS. I recovered 2 pellets. Both were under the skin on the exit side. It left tiny little holes in the bones. Went right through them. Very lethal, but lacked the size to break bones and cause a bird to crumple in flight.

I shot #7 against a mild steel plate and it left dents in the steel. Lead just knocked paint off it. Really amazing stuff, just stupid expensive. It costs more for 1 lb of TSS than for 25 lbs of lead.

Terrapin

WKR
I’ve lost count of the number of birds we’ve killed using #9 TSS out of our 410s. We’ve used a variety of chokes and load combinations. Packing a 4 pound gun with negligible recoil is definitely worth the ~$20 I spend every year on ammo or components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Short Track
I burned 3 tanks of fuel, toll booths, permit, carcass tag. Hotel room, food. rest stop food. Drove 400 miles each way. Trespass fee. 1's being mounted.
I am not even thinking about the price of TSS. It's a no brainer. Bang flop baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and no more 12 ga nonsense. My shoulder is too old for a 3" 12 ga.

Darryle

WKR
My current costs if I purchased everything today, minus the loader, $1.681 per shell for 5/8oz 28ga

This past season in Kansas we used 28ga and 410s with TSS 8.5s and 9s. 5 straight days of hunting and the only day we didn't limit was the day it was -6º at legal, called it at 2º and the wind was gusting up to 23mph, it was miserably cold and the ducks found a spot of open water and settled in. I think we were 3 short that day. Even the nuclear power plant lake was freezing up and not holding birds.

ORHunter

WKR
You can find TSS on sale at Roger's online. I bought some for $37 this year. Basically enough to kill 5 birds for less than $40. It's not mandatory, but it's a no brainer at this point.

The only downside is it basically puts the tracking dog out of a job cause there's no cripples to track down.
ec31cb9dccd94a499c5363e3ec7cf021.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk