Ultralight sleeping bag and 3 person tent advice

Hunt365

FNG
I'm looking for recommendations on an ultralight or lightweight sleeping bag. Gotta be 3 season, I'd say -10C is probably the coldest I'll be sleeping in it. Any first hand knowledge or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my hunting partner is looking for a new 3 person, lightweight tent. I have the MSR Carbon Reflex 3, I love it, but I'm sure there are other great tents out there. I'd say his budget would be around the $4-500 mark. Lots of good reviews for the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3, anyone have any experience with this tent? Any other recommendations would be great.

Thanks.

muleman

WKR
For an ultralight bag have you considered a quilt? Lots of quilt threads on Rokslide discussing the vitures and vices of quilts. I've used quilts almost exclusively for several years and haven't looked back.

AXEL

WKR
For 3+ season uses here in BC, the Western Mountaineering Extremelite series is THE bag(s) to buy; I had one and am going to buy another model, slightly different.

Depending on your size, build and metabolism as well as level of actual experience sleeping in a bag, the models to consider are the Alpinlite or the Versalite; the latter is quite narrow, but, for any of their outstanding bags, WM sells an "extender", well worth the extra cost.

Since Evan Jones sold ID several years ago, there is no Canadian manufacturer of bags in the class of WM and I have found only Valandre, to now be equal in quality.

MEC sells WM and has a monopoly in Canada, they cannot be bothered to actually stock the bags, except a few, typical of their wannabe elitist attitudes, but, there are several fine US sources and I bought mine that way in 2008.

I can recommend one US-based dealer in particular if you PM me.

Buying the best in a bag as in your boots and pack is FAR more worthwhile than spending huge on trendy camo, stretchy, blah, blah clothing for hunting.

OP
H

Hunt365

FNG
For an ultralight bag have you considered a quilt? Lots of quilt threads on Rokslide discussing the vitures and vices of quilts. I've used quilts almost exclusively for several years and haven't looked back.

I will look into the quilts, thanks.

OP
H

Hunt365

FNG
For 3+ season uses here in BC, the Western Mountaineering Extremelite series is THE bag(s) to buy; I had one and am going to buy another model, slightly different.

Depending on your size, build and metabolism as well as level of actual experience sleeping in a bag, the models to consider are the Alpinlite or the Versalite; the latter is quite narrow, but, for any of their outstanding bags, WM sells an "extender", well worth the extra cost.

Since Evan Jones sold ID several years ago, there is no Canadian manufacturer of bags in the class of WM and I have found only Valandre, to now be equal in quality.

MEC sells WM and has a monopoly in Canada, they cannot be bothered to actually stock the bags, except a few, typical of their wannabe elitist attitudes, but, there are several fine US sources and I bought mine that way in 2008.

I can recommend one US-based dealer in particular if you PM me.

Buying the best in a bag as in your boots and pack is FAR more worthwhile than spending huge on trendy camo, stretchy, blah, blah clothing for hunting.

The WM Alpinlite is on my list of top prospects, thanks for the verification.