Ultras marothons

So during my 20 miler today, two things really stood out to me. 1) I am not worthy of even holding Z's running shoes, given the paces I run at, and 2) 3 liters of water was not enough for the warm afternoon weather today. I ran out with three miles to go. I was able to finish strong, but it was really interesting to see what my HR did as the dehydration advanced. By the end I was at 160 bpm on a relatively easy slope.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Z Barebow-You are there. Run some hills, do tempo runs on flats but at this point just don't get injured. Actually, work on nutrition. My guess is you will do pretty well at Bighorn. Actually, I will see you there. Figure out nutrition and if you don't use them already, pick up some S-caps. I take two on the hour and one every half hour and they keep me solid. Remember, if you want to do well, you need to be near the front at the start but then settle on your own race. Go just slightly easier than you would for a 50k. Your mind is really good at adapting to the distance. If you are running a 50 miler you will be tired at 50 miles; if you are running a 5k you will be tired at 5k. Don't just try to finish, that should be a given, you sound like you have the fitness and training to do well so shoot for top 10. I bet you'll get it.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I have 3 weeks of hard work to go. My buddy and I plan on several B2B trail training runs, beginning on Sat. (We have to road trip it to reach any decent of road stuff) We will run for time, (5 hours) and see how it goes. Will have a little more time to fine tune things.

Bald Mtn (Near the starting line of my race) still has 84" of snow. Al Gore is a moron!

Andy- Which distance are you doing?

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
Wow Z... Impressive. Jason, I'm with you, not worthy. My goal is really just to finish.

AndyJ, thanks for the tips. I will definitely try some of that in the next few weeks. I've got 6 weeks left before the race, plenty of miles to go so I should be able to figure out something that will work.

My ultra advice: eat solid foods early, then liquids (gels & coke) as your stomach becomes less kind to 'real' food. I finished the last 62 miles of Western States on gels & coke/mtn dew, my stomach always goes bad and when it does, it's time to drink my calories. 50K's i'm all gel, anything longer than 50 miles and i'll eat solids till i get nauseous of'em, then liquids.

Salt Caps or Salt Sticks are KEY!! Salt Stick is a better balance, but most ultras have SCaps at the aid stations.

AndyJ

FNG
"Andy- Which distance are you doing?"

I'm doing the 100 miler. Also, Z, you sound like you know what you are doing so please forgive me if this next comment sounds like I am talking to you like you are a newbie, but be careful with a lot of B2Bs. One a month is usually pretty good. B2Bs put a ton of strain on your body. B2Bs do one of two things, they make a strong runner really strong or they create some pretty good injuries. Like I said earlier, if you just maintain your fitness, you should have zero problems with doing well at Bighorn.

"AndyJ, thanks for the tips."

You're welcome.

Good advice Arrowslinger. I carry a gel flask more as a backup than anything. I try to do most of my refueling at aid stations. I love cokes but ginger ale has become my new go to drink. The ginger does wonders for keeping your stomach settled.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
My ultra advice: eat solid foods early, then liquids (gels & coke) as your stomach becomes less kind to 'real' food. I finished the last 62 miles of Western States on gels & coke/mtn dew, my stomach always goes bad and when it does, it's time to drink my calories. 50K's i'm all gel, anything longer than 50 miles and i'll eat solids till i get nauseous of'em, then liquids.

Salt Caps or Salt Sticks are KEY!! Salt Stick is a better balance, but most ultras have SCaps at the aid stations.

I have used Hammer Endurolyte capsules. Are they comparable to SCaps or Salt Stick?

Part of my plan is to mix Endurolyte capsules (Opened of course) into my gels mix. I will have separate supply of capsules in a zip lock bag to supplement if/when things start getting "wonky".

AndyJ

FNG
Endurolytes don't hold a candle to S-caps or salt stick. I have had many discussions as to why anyone would take endurolytes. I know of a few runners that would take up to 8 at a time until we turned them on to s-caps and salt stick. They have all the electrolytes but in very low concentrations. S-caps and salt stick are the way to go. Realistically sodium and potassium are the only electrolytes you need to worry about. They are responsible for muscle contraction (sodium) and muscle relaxation (potassium) you might remember learning about the sodium potassium pump in middle or high school-this is it. Sodium and potassium are also the two electrolytes that your body needs to get from your diet. S-caps have only sodium and potassium and a lot of it. Salt Stick has all the electrolytes and I think higher potassium than s-caps. Either one should work well for you. I have never met a person who got sick drom electrolyte pills.

A good rule of thumb that I use is as soon as I start stubbing toes, I take an s-cap pill. Fine motor function is the first thing to go when you get low on electrolytes.

One general thought: How many of you use only a hand held or a waist belt? I think most would be surprised by how much lighter they feel and cooler they stay when using a handheld or waist belt. To each their own, but if you haven't tried it you might be surprised. I see so many guys with packs fully loaded with everything short of a sleeping bag and a full 70oz, at least, of water. 10 miles between aid stations is about as far as you will ever see in a well run race. How much do you normally take when you run 10 miles? Why take more? It does slow you down. Don't believe me, name a top runner that runs with a pack

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Andy. Don't worry about hurting my feelings! I have some S Caps on order.

I use a waist belt and a vest. My waist belt holds around 20 oz bottle. In the vest, I throw an old Gatorade bottle in the back that I toss/lose (I fill it with electrolyte so I have something different). I also carry some gels to bail me out if needed. No handhelds for me. I would rather carry any weight tight to my core vs out at the end of my hand.

Mtnboy

WKR
Well, I've been wanting to push myself to do an ultra for awhile and I just discovered that there is one in my favorite part of Idaho!

So.... I'm officially committing myself to the Standhope 60k in 2015

I'm sure I'll need to hit up some of you experienced guys for advice!

I’m hitting my first 55K trail run the fist week in June, Big Basin Run in a couple weeks here in CA. I’ve been running a 10.7 mile trail workout afterwork that starts at 408 ft and up to a peak at 1,595 ft. Total elevation gain 2,367 with a total election loss 2,316 ft. I’m just drinking Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover with Honey Stinger Gels for fuel and trying to hydrate well a few hours before running. That seems to be getting me through the practice runs feeling good, but I’m learning all this as I go. Trying to run intervals every other day as well to help my endurance and revolving stairs in the AM at the gym. I’m just hoping to place not that far back in my age group, 53 years old now in the race and I’m long forward to the run. A bit nervous but looking forward to it.

Throw me in for real food. Pizza that I make at home, turkey burgers, sweat potatoe fries, or what ever my stomach says yes too. I only carry gels if my sugar drops out. Can't stand them things any more.

S-Caps as needed. Also, when you run in the summer your stomach will like or dislike food as compared to winter. Biggest thing is to stay on track with your "salt pills". If you yet behind that can get ugly. Water sloshing in your stomach, or sausage fingers means take a salt pill or two.

Find what works best for you. Nothing new on race day. And as always have fun, and train to hunt. Run down elk where they live!!!! :)

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back into some long runs, wish I could try the hundy again this year, learned allot last year. But dont have time to chase critters in the mnts and run the race.

My goal is leadville someday!!

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Checking in. I am just about a week and a half from race day. Firming up race planning and strategy. I have a few physical dings I need to take care of, so I think I might take a few days off from running. Even if I don't run from now until race day. I want to be as healthy as possible for race. Hay is in the barn. 18 LR's of 20 miles or longer since March. I was in CO last week for work and managed ~ 6 hours of trail running around Boulder.

I'll check in with a race report from WYO in a few weeks. Hope to see a few of you on the trail.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Checking in. I am just about a week and a half from race day. Firming up race planning and strategy. I have a few physical dings I need to take care of, so I think I might take a few days off from running. Even if I don't run from now until race day. I want to be as healthy as possible for race. Hay is in the barn. 18 LR's of 20 miles or longer since March. I was in CO last week for work and managed ~ 6 hours of trail running around Boulder.

I'll check in with a race report from WYO in a few weeks. Hope to see a few of you on the trail.

Good luck Z, looking forward to the race report.

Chad