Ultras marothons

How do you guys keep from getting bored out there? I start to lose interest after about six miles. I am thinking about using my music on my iPhone to see if that helps. I may also join a group of runners that run further distances and see if that helps. Any suggestions?

Had the pleasure of running an aid station and pacing 20 miles at the Western States 100 miler this past weekend. Good times and great to see the elites and normal jack and jills cranking out 100 miles. Pacing again in a few weeks at TRT100 in Tahoe.

justinspicher -find some folks to run with or trail run. I've found lots of great hunting spots from trail running.

I love these threads. I am going to go sheep hunting in the next 6 years or so and it has me motivated to run a marathon and maybe try like a 70 mile iron man. I have been running every day for the past two weeks and I am Finally enjoying it.

Justin,

I have ran many miles on the trail, by myself, with no Ipod, Iphone, etc. I love to trail run by myself with no other distractions.

Arrowslinger,

I bet that is a very cool experience.

I ran 20 on Wednesday and did 20 again today. Race day is coming up in T-21 days.

Justin,

I have ran many miles on the trail, by myself, with no Ipod, Iphone, etc. I love to trail run by myself with no other distractions.

Same here, i'm always looking out for bears, snakes and lions. Always reminded of this as my normal loop took me past a runners memorial that was killed by a lion.

13 today, 40 on the bike tomorrow, then another mid to high teens run on Sunday.

I don't like to wear earbuds as I like to hear what is around me, maybe I need to just start out slower and work on enjoying it.

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
I have to have music running on the streets, but can't run the trails with music.

I think about how I would spend 58.8 million dollars. What kind of Man Cave/Gunsmithing shop/Indoor Archery Range/Reloading Palace I would like to build.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I never listen to anything on the trails. Once in a blue moon on the road, and even then I leave one bud out. On the treadmill, pretty much mandatory to have music.

Arrowslinger- What an experience to be at WS. Although I have no urge to do a 100, I have the greatest admiration for those who do. And to witness them doing it is an awesome experience.

I also have completed my RR from Bighorn. Long read, but so was the race.

http://bhtr2014.blogspot.com/

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Justin- Like others have said, run with others. When running long, I generally am not worrying about pace. The purpose of the run is endurance. You should be running at conversation pace, so unless you like talking to yourself, run with others so someone can listen to your stories! (At least this is how I operate!) You will be amazed how time flies.

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
I think my next attempt will be leadville 100, go big or go home. Ws would likely never happen for me as it appear the rules have changed.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I think my next attempt will be leadville 100, go big or go home. Ws would likely never happen for me as it appear the rules have changed.

Kebler- I haven't paid close attention. What rules have they changed?

I guy I run with did Leadville 100 on his mtn bike. He couldn't imagine running it. Kudos if you tackle that one.

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Guess you have to run a qualifying corse 100 every year till u draw in the lottery, from my understanding. But I guess leadville is getting over capacity they ran out of food last year, so the old nut up and show up might change on leadville too!!

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Kebler- I haven't paid close attention. What rules have they changed?

I guy I run with did Leadville 100 on his mtn bike. He couldn't imagine running it. Kudos if you tackle that one.

Basically they eliminated a lot of qualifying races because the lottery was getting too big. Last year I think there were people that had qualified 4 years and still hadn't drawn yet. There's still a couple 100K (62 Miles) that are qualifiers though. You may have to travel a little further to find one.

That's why I ran Miwok 100K instead of Lake Sonoma 50.

Paced 30 miles (7 hours) at the TRT100 last night in Tahoe...that's one tough course. My runner placed 2nd female after running in first for 93 miles.

Guess you have to run a qualifying corse 100 every year till u draw in the lottery, from my understanding. But I guess leadville is getting over capacity they ran out of food last year, so the old nut up and show up might change on leadville too!!

Yes, to qualify you have to run a select list of 100 milers or 100K's. This is a recent change for the 2015 race and beyond.

Leaving bright and early in the morning for Ashland, OR. Doing my best right now to not overthink stuff. At best it will go great and I'll feel super, at worst it'll be like the elk hunt from hell without any dead elk.

As Z Barebow told me, "50 miles is a hell of a long ways no matter how you slice it". Hopefully by 1700 hours PST, I'll be hoisting a beer.

Leaving bright and early in the morning for Ashland, OR. Doing my best right now to not overthink stuff. At best it will go great and I'll feel super, at worst it'll be like the elk hunt from hell without any dead elk.

As Z Barebow told me, "50 miles is a hell of a long ways no matter how you slice it". Hopefully by 1700 hours PST, I'll be hoisting a beer.

Have a great run! Go out conservative and stick to your fueling/hydration plan. If you can run most of the last 10 miles, you'll pass a ton of folks. Enjoy it.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider

Sweet, good luck out there. Looking forward to the race report. Enjoy that beer.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider

Good luck Jason! I'll be checking in to see your results and looking forward to RR. The thought of that beer will motivate you to push through! (I know it worked for me!)View attachment 17543