Unit 23 closure refunds

Muzzprong

FNG
Has anyone found out from the different transporters the options available if the closure does go through. We are currently booked with Ram Aviation for September of 2023. Are the transporters offering refunds on deposits if the closure goes through? Or is this something that would have to be resolved with trip insurance? I hear talk of still being able to hunt between the low and high water mark but it seems success would be low. I would entertain booking elsewhere in the state but we are hard pressed to go in 2023 due to my dads age and doubt there is much available still for 2023.

Idk where the heck else you would be able to get booked, from my research every job outside of this area is fully booked for 2 years and pretty much always fills with repeat clients.

I don't think most offer refunds for things out of there control.
Research would suggest the insurance companies have used covid to get out of claims and it is a waste of money as well.

OP
M

Muzzprong

FNG
Idk where the heck else you would be able to get booked, from my research every job outside of this area is fully booked for 2 years and pretty much always fills with repeat clients.

I don't think most offer refunds for things out of there control.
Research would suggest the insurance companies have used covid to get out of claims and it is a waste of money as well.
Yea that’s the problem is I figure we would be at least 2 years out again if we have to rebook elsewhere.

Yea we need to research the insurance route. It isn’t a substantial amount of money we have down on a deposit cause we booked a couple years in advance and the ruling should be made before we have to put anymore down.

BBob

WKR

Yea we need to research the insurance route.
I agree. Be careful and as always read the fine print. Not that it would apply here (not hunting or AK related) but early on in Covid I got hosed thinking I had insurance but the fine print said my situation didn't qualify. Basically they would have covered me if I were from a Covid lock down state and wasn't allowed to travel but being from Arizona I was allowed to travel so no coverage even though where I was headed was locked down and I couldn't go. It made no sense but that's what the fine print said.

I would call the insurance company, read the fine print, and call again. If they close federal lands in GMU 23, the hunt won't be canceled by the outfitter. They will have several other places to drop you and will be ready to roll. I am unfamiliar how trip insurance works and if it would cover the hunter simply cancelling a trip.

edit: you may even try to get something in writing. Maybe some e-mail correspondence if possible

Last edited:

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
OP, as of right now, the closure on the table ( WSA21-01) is not going to effect your 2023 dates. That doesn't mean another RAC won't submit for one for 2023. However, there are lots a reason to hold tight. Ram is one of the very best transporters to work with up there for starters. There are lots of State lands and State controlled p[laces to hunt within unit 23. The current OSM analysis on WSA21-01a is looking fairly favorable as they have done a good job recommending against a full and have even offered a rejection of WSA21-01a as a supported option. So, encourage you to remain hopeful and keep planning on hunting. I know I am and I'm boked for this September.

OP
M

Muzzprong

FNG
OP, as of right now, the closure on the table ( WSA21-01) is not going to effect your 2023 dates. That doesn't mean another RAC won't submit for one for 2023. However, there are lots a reason to hold tight. Ram is one of the very best transporters to work with up there for starters. There are lots of State lands and State controlled p[laces to hunt within unit 23. The current OSM analysis on WSA21-01a is looking fairly favorable as they have done a good job recommending against a full and have even offered a rejection of WSA21-01a as a supported option. So, encourage you to remain hopeful and keep planning on hunting. I know I am and I'm boked for this September.
I thought once they actually made the ruling it couldn’t be contested for another 3 years? We are trying to remain hopeful since a caribou hunt has honestly been #1 on my bucket list for as long as I can remember. I know I have plenty of years to do it but time is getting short to be able to do it with my dad. From what I have researched with Ram, Brian and those guys seem as good as anyone with their success and commitment to their hunters and that is why we chose them. I just worry about enough quality areas for everyone to hunt if the ruling passes. Thanks for your positive feed back.