Velvet Care and/or Durango area taxidermist

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I am headed from Chicago to unit 74 for a Mulie hunt the first part of September. Can anyone give advice on velvet care? I read somewhere about injecting formaldehyde into veins at the base of the antlers to help preserve the velvet(though I have no idea where I'd get formaldehyde). I've also heard of taxidermists freeze drying the velvet to preserve. If I'm able, I would prefer to haul a potential trophy back home to have a taxidermist have it mounted here to avoid cost of shipping a mount, but not sure if a taxidermist in the area would help me get it preserved enough for travel. Having grown up in NM hunting antelope in hot weather I am familiar and comfortable with meat care, but I have not had any experience with any animals in velvet. I appreciate any replies.

WhiteRubi

FNG
rklein,
I'm a taxidermist in central KY so I can't offer much help with a local guy but can give you some info.
first and foremost, keep the cape dry and get it cool ASAP.
DO NOT handle the antlers or you will lose the velvet. By that I mean don't drag or hang the deer by the antlers. The velvet will likely be close to being shed and therefor "loose". It will pull off the antlers easily.
We have a september opener here in KY so I see a fair amount of velvet whitetails. I have ALL of them freeze dried. My guy injects them with an insecticide to push out blood and protect against insects for the life of the mount.
If an out of state hunter called me and wanted some help with taking care of skins or antlers, I would do it. It shouldn't be hard to locate somebody willing to to help. Expect to pay for that service,possible more than you would think is fair. The safest and easiest thing would likely be to have a local taxidermist split/turn the cape and salt it. At that point he could easily ship it to you, a tannery, or your local taxidermist. The antlers would be best to have freeze dried by the same taxidermist handling your cape. Some guys get good results with tanning the velvet. I havent done it but many top level guys swear by freeze drying.

Hope that helps. If you need any more info, shoot me a message.

dotman

WKR
About 55 miles east of Durango is the taxi I use. Mountain Man Taxidermy is his company name, he isn't the cheapest but does excellent work. I shot a full velvet buck last year and he was able to preserve the velvet and make it a euro mount.

I would give him a call and ask, thing is they do get super busy and may not be able to drop everything to preserve it for you but worth asking. I can remember what process he used but it turned out great.

mountain man taxidermy pagosa springs co - Google Search

Also I read an article a few years ago, taxidermist supply shops online sell a product the you can inject yourself that will remove the blood and preserves/tans the velvet. Can't remember the name of it though but a Google search would probably bring it up.

Edit: here you go K916

Last edited: