Vortex Razor 13-39x56 Spitting Scope

hehaka bloka

Lil-Rokslider
Have a hard time making up my mind. I already have the Razor 85mm. Would you go straight or angled with the 56mm? Hunt both mountains and prairie. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I chose straight but it's just a preference thing. I'm up high when glassing so generally looking at equal elevation or elevations below me. I was always accustomed to straight spotters as well. I find less strain in my neck and easier acquisition of a particular spot I'm trying to look at. If I were glassing up the mountain more often, an angled may have been my choice.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
All are right
answers here with the exception of anyone that involves a straight eyepiece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
I'm changing over to Straight, because then that way... if you first spot something with Binos on the Tripod.. then wanna get a better look, much quicker to switch over to the Straight-bodied spotter since you won't have to re-adjust the height hardly as much, most times just swap and go. Sometimes a little amt of height adjust if glassing uphill, but that's about it.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both and currently run a Kowa 554 - straight. I typically like to get up to a vantage point and glass down, so straight fits that style. Seems easier to get lined up on too.

nh85

FNG
Angled is more comfortable in my opinion and easier to get behind it in good position. Also like angled better for phoneskoping, screen is easier to watch

TheGDog

WKR
Angled is more comfortable in my opinion and easier to get behind it in good position. Also like angled better for phoneskoping, screen is easier to watch
Depends... sometimes on these little spotters that can't rotate if you want them to, the terrain type... the vegetation can hamper where you can glass at.

For example... if you're in chaparral or similar type environment where the vegetation can be tall all around ya sometimes, and you need to be able to look over it with an optic.... an angled that doesn't have one of those repositioning rings that lets you rotate them to change the angle into the eyepiece... then you just can't make use of that particular optic in that particular situation.

I agree that when possible.. and if the spotter is going to be your ONLY scanning option you'll be using... to grid with... then yeah, it can be a little easier to get comfy when settled into an angled as long as the vegetation type isn't messing that up for ya.

Like looking uphill in more of like a Western Desert Hills type of situation, where it's more Arid and thus not a lot of tall brush, they can be fine. But I tend to use my binos first, to hit all the high value spots in the FOV, then, a once-over of the ridge over there. And then... possibly over to spotter to make sure that within all that ridge, I'm made SURE to look within the bushes/brush to make sure clear or not. So I don't want to have to do a bunch of repositioning if I first see something in Binos, then wanna grab for spotter to get "closer". I'm already pointed the right way.

So swapping back and forth between two straight-bodied optic systems, is overall a touch easier. most of the time. That rotating body that some angled have, to some degree, overcomes that issue though, since you could just mount it up... it's already pointing at right direction.. then you just rotate it to get access to eyepiece. But these little spotters don't usually have that option built in to rotate the spotter's body like that, relative to it's mount. So overall... so far, for where I've been hunting in... the straight-body optic just works more rapidly. And is easier to pack. But whatever's clever, right?