Vortex Vipers vs. Razor HD

TLUD52

FNG
Looking at getting a new set of binos stuck between the vortex viper or razor hd 12x50's, is there a major difference between the two models? I haven't noticed a big difference but that's just standing in my local scheels looking around the store, so not really getting to test them out like I want to!! For the price I feel like there should definitely be an upgrade in quality. Just wondering if anyone here has firsthand experience with both models and could give their opinion on them?
Thanks
NEELKHUNTER

Geewhiz

WKR
Unless you are a Swaro or Zeiss guy, I think you will find the viper pst equal to some and better than most typical hunting scopes optically and durability wise. you will also find them heavier and bulkier than most hunting scopes. Their warranty is outstanding!
Think he is talking about binos.

I have a pair of 10x42 viper hd’s and my brother has a pair of 10x42 razor hd’s. I can tell a difference without looking too hard. I think the vipers are a very good value for the money but the razors definitely have better glass.

Fire power

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Vortex Viper 10x42. Use them for Field rounds, work great in all light conditions. I went to Cabelas' at dusk and compared several binoculars outside. In low light the differences were much more apparent. Check Bird Watching sites for binocular reviews. I also use a Leopold RX 1000i TBR range finder. Bought it several years ago, does everything I need. Seems like range finders are upgraded every year. Never used a combination unit. It comes down to how much weight do you want to carry and how much money do you want to spend.

OP
T

TLUD52

FNG

I have a pair of 10x42 viper hd’s and my brother has a pair of 10x42 razor hd’s. I can tell a difference without looking too hard. I think the vipers are a very good value for the money but the razors definitely have better glass.
Yes I am talking about binoculars. was thinking about getting a spotting scope as well but that will probably have to wait till next `year. thanks for the input. new to the glassing game, last couple years on elk trip run and gun calling produced little results. gonna try to cover the land with glass this year!!

OP
T

TLUD52

FNG
I have the Vortex Viper 10x42. Use them for Field rounds, work great in all light conditions. I went to Cabelas' at dusk and compared several binoculars outside. In low light the differences were much more apparent. Check Bird Watching sites for binocular reviews. I also use a Leopold RX 1000i TBR range finder. Bought it several years ago, does everything I need. Seems like range finders are upgraded every year. Never used a combination unit. It comes down to how much weight do you want to carry and how much money do you want to spend.
I'll have to ask the scheels sales guy to go outside to test them at evening in low light conditions to be able to test them side by side.
thanks

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
Just my opinion/advise on the common dilemma we all face about binos. I have the razor UHDs, my grandsons have the diamondbacks and I just sold a pair of LEICAs that required my fingers to be literally pulled off of by strong men. Don't look though them, EVER.

It's the old adage of " a luxury once enjoyed becomes a necessity..."

For elk, here in Idaho, I have found they are big and when they are there you see them regardless of the bino quality. Want to see if the antlers are worth the mile hike? Get the Spotter out.

You noted the feeling of for the large price difference you'd except the quality of view to be large also and it isn't. Save the $$$ and spend it on something else for your hunting, there are lots of choices. Or go big and get some alpha glass binos that cost more than your gun and enjoy the luxury :)

jimh406

WKR
Scheels seems to have a pretty good return policy. Maybe you could take them home and do a comparison under different conditions. Another option is buy from some other store that has a good return policy on Amazon or some other online source.

I’m a fan of Tract Toric UHDs. I haven’t compared them to Vipers or Razors. They are only available direct from the company.

OP
T

TLUD52

FNG
Scheels seems to have a pretty good return policy. Maybe you could take them home and do a comparison under different conditions. Another option is buy from some other store that has a good return policy on Amazon or some other online source.

I’m a fan of Tract Toric UHDs. I haven’t compared them to Vipers or Razors. They are only available direct from the company.

I’ll have to check those out
Thanks

For elk, here in Idaho, I have found they are big and when they are there you see them regardless of the bino quality. Want to see if the antlers are worth the mile hike? Get the Spotter out.

Sounds like a good reason to get an 8x42, then.

Those Toric UHD's are essentially a Zeiss Conquest HD in disguise, at a better price.

nphunter

WKR
Razors are far better binos, better ergonomics, and better glass and can be found used for the cost of new vipers. IMO a $600 set of Vortex Razors are about as good as glass as you can get for that kind of money. Meostars potentially would be better optically but with a large size and weight penalty.

nobody

WKR

I'll echo this. The Viper's aren't bad glass in the slightest, but the Razor HD's are better, and the UHD's better still. When you'll really notice it is in low light and poor light conditions.

The Razor HD is very much an upgrade to the Viper. But the Viper is a good pair as well. If spending the money for the Razor HD, I’d steer you toward the Maven B series. Vortex UHD clarity at HD price, though I’d say they are a step above the UHD in low light situations.

Looking at getting a new set of binos stuck between the vortex viper or razor hd 12x50's, is there a major difference between the two models? I haven't noticed a big difference but that's just standing in my local scheels looking around the store, so not really getting to test them out like I want to!! For the price I feel like there should definitely be an upgrade in quality. Just wondering if anyone here has firsthand experience with both models and could give their opinion on them?
Thanks
NEELKHUNTER
Like others here have mentioned, the Razor is an all around better set. Nothing wrong with the Vipers, in my opinion they will work for most people. But the glass and edge clarity on the Razor’s were noticeable to me when I was looking. If you’re spending that money I’d also look at Meopta, Leupold BX line, or a used Swaro.

Beendare

WKR
I know its a big budget consideration for guys ….but I don’t think most will be happy with something like the Vipers long term.

It might be better to buy a real cheapie…then save for a better pair.

I used viper 12x50's for an Oct rifle elk hunt. I don't feel like I missed any elk because of the glass quality and I could just barely tell if a rag horn was legal or not at about a mile if it stood still and I could dial in the focus perfectly. I feel like guys get caught up thinking its only the trophy hunters that benefit from great glass, but its equally important when judging legality on young bulls. I didn't hate the vipers but sold them not long after that for a much nicer pair and am very happy with the change. Razor HD's are a great upgrade if you're stuck on Vortex. If you're testing at a store, get them on a tripod or a good rest and read license plates as far out as you can or find details on far away house siding to compare the two because both will look pretty similar handheld within 500y and the price will pull you away from the better pair.

tntech01

FNG
Following thread for the same question as OP. Leaning towards Razors due to the Japanese glass.