Want to go caribou hunting someday before I die!

Wireman07

WKR
Looking to do a caribou hunt in Alaska within a couple years. I'm not rich and don't have alot of money, but I have the drive and determination to do some sort of DIY hunt. What is possibly the most budget friendly caribou hunt in Alaska? Would be flying from the lower 48, hopefully with enough air miles on my Alaska airline card for free flight there and back. Thanks for all the help!

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Doing the haul road hunt is probably the most economical. Find a partner or two to split those expenses as well

Bambistew

WKR
Whats your budget? You won't find much in the way of a transported hunt for less than $5k, if you can find one. Plus your expenses to get here.

The haul road is basically your only "in expensive" option. Bow hunt along the corridor, or walk in 5 miles off the road.

The word on the street is the 40 Mile quota will be around 300 this fall. There are limited spots with transporters already, and the quota could be filled early, meaning a shorter season. The closure in the NW will keep you out there (and its not cheap either), other flights to the eastern Brooks are expensive $3-5kpp easy, and really no other options outside the haul road corridor.

Caribou populations are half what they were 10 years ago pretty much statewide outside the eastern Brooks.

I wouldn't' be surprised to see guided caribou hunts start going for $20k and restrictions put on NR. Guided hunts are already pushing $15k.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If you have time, haul road, driving up through Canada to avoid the cost and trouble of renting a vehicle you are allowed to take on the haul road.

The drive through Canada is easy.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
If you have time, haul road, driving up through Canada to avoid the cost and trouble of renting a vehicle you are allowed to take on the haul road.

Whats your budget? You won't find much in the way of a transported hunt for less than $5k, if you can find one. Plus your expenses to get here.

The haul road is basically your only "in expensive" option. Bow hunt along the corridor, or walk in 5 miles off the road.

The word on the street is the 40 Mile quota will be around 300 this fall. There are limited spots with transporters already, and the quota could be filled early, meaning a shorter season. The closure in the NW will keep you out there (and its not cheap either), other flights to the eastern Brooks are expensive $3-5kpp easy, and really no other options outside the haul road corridor.

Caribou populations are half what they were 10 years ago pretty much statewide outside the eastern Brooks.

I wouldn't' be surprised to see guided caribou hunts start going for $20k and restrictions put on NR. Guided hunts are already pushing $15k.
Thanks for the response. After doing more research it'

Thanks for the reply. After doing some more research I have it narrowed down to the haul road. Which I would fine with. I'm willing and able to do a DIY hunt and wouldn't need a transporter or anything.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR

I should have plenty of time by saving up a couple weeks of vacation time. Thinking about flying Alaska airlines, looking like they have a pretty good deal when you sign up for for a credit card. Thought about driving my own rig, but I'd hate to beat the crap out of it. I've been hearing of guys renting Uhaul vehicles and taking those up the road, do you know if they still rent those out? Thanks!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I should have plenty of time by saving up a couple weeks of vacation time. Thinking about flying Alaska airlines, looking like they have a pretty good deal when you sign up for for a credit card. Thought about driving my own rig, but I'd hate to beat the crap out of it. I've been hearing of guys renting Uhaul vehicles and taking those up the road, do you know if they still rent those out? Thanks!
I don't know on the U-Haul.

Recently heard from a local that Uhaul isn't allowing their rigs on the Haul Rd anymore but did not verify that myself..

Spent $4700 on a DIY fly-in moose hunt in 2017. The moose didn’t cooperate but we were covered up in caribou in a draw only area for caribou. Used the satellite phone to call game warden from the field and they confirmed we could harvest a bou with our moose tag. Bou on the last day was the ticket!

not sure what cheap means to you but that cost was everything, including airfare from TN.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I rented a uhaul truck last year. Trip will cost $2,500.00 to $4,000.00. It will depend on how many guys to split cost. Any stays in motel ($250.00 to $300.00 per night). Eat at anything not from the grocery store ($25.00 or more). The flight to Alaska is really not a big expense when you start adding up all the things needed due to flying.
Heck it cost us $35.00 Just to wash the rental truck.

cbuck516

FNG
I am similarly looking into how to set up an affordable caribou hunt in the coming years. The videos are kind of long, but the Gritty channel has some pretty cool caribou float hunts.
I love the idea of the float hunt, but that would require a 3-day drive up there to use all my own gear as well as the purchase of the few pieces of gear I don't already have. That or rent the gear which is not cheap either. It is a 5-year goal for me at this point and I may just end up biting the bullet and paying to be flown into the brooks range at some point. I'm not really sure there is a super affordable option for anyone that isn't an Alaska resident and has caribou in their backyard :)

Htm84

WKR
Spent $4700 on a DIY fly-in moose hunt in 2017. The moose didn’t cooperate but we were covered up in caribou in a draw only area for caribou. Used the satellite phone to call game warden from the field and they confirmed we could harvest a bou with our moose tag. Bou on the last day was the ticket!

not sure what cheap means to you but that cost was everything, including airfare from TN.

If that was a draw area for caribou what you did was illegal assuming you didn’t have a draw tag. NR basically need two tags. A harvest ticket or draw permit and a metal locking tag. I’m guessing he told you you can use your moose locking tag on a caribou but you’d still need either a harvest ticket or draw permit for the caribou. It’s kinda confusing.

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR

I rented a uhaul truck last year. Trip will cost $2,500.00 to $4,000.00. It will depend on how many guys to split cost. Any stays in motel ($250.00 to $300.00 per night). Eat at anything not from the grocery store ($25.00 or more). The flight to Alaska is really not a big expense when you start adding up all the things needed due to flying.
Heck it cost us $35.00 Just to wash the rental truck.
Thanks for the information. After doing alot of research the last week, I was thinking it would be around $3,000 average. Plus I can save some on my flights with an alaska air lines card. But prices will keep going up for everything as every year passes so there's that.