Warning! if they haven't already- Photobucket is going to hose you

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty salty about this crap. No warning/notice or anything, just boom and my pics are locked out on 3rd party hosting.

On the other hand, I got exactly the service I paid for....

colonel00

WKR
I don't know about the new changes but even several years ago they started throttling your sharing abilities based on bandwidth usage. Let's say you make a thread with 20 photos and it gets viewed quite a bit, eventually you'll hit a threshold where Photobucket will disable any hosted photos for the remainder of the month. At least that's how they used to do it. That alone was enough of a pain to make me move my stuff somewhere else.

Oh, and 2gb fills up fast. A cellphone photo may only be 1-2mb so that's 1000-2000 photos, not bad. However, if you start using cameras that create bigger files, you are only talking 100-200 photos. Some of my photo albums from some trips are easily 500-1000 photos. I probably have 1tb of photos on my PC even. It just adds up quickly.

Slim Jim

WKR
I haven't been able to upload or find A LOT of my photos from PB in a quite a while now. I just recently started using my amazon prime photo storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
They give 2gb of free space. I'm not sure how many pages that is. I have 30 pages. You'll pay $400 if you want 500GB. Anybody need that much?

What is really stupid in my opinion, is if you want the ability to 3rd party share with unlimited bandwidth, you have to buy the 500 package for $400 ANNUALLY! That is insane.

Murdy

WKR
• Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.

Does this mean if you inadvertently exceed 2GB, they will let you, but then lock your account and won't be able to access your own photos for any purpose until you cough up some $$$? And if you are already over 2 GB, will you lose access for any purpose when the policy kicks in?

They are obviously using a CDTBTO business model. You know, Create Dependency, Then Bend Them Over.

Bar

Banned
How can we check to see how much we have now? I tried to look, but i'm no computer whiz and get stumped easily.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use a 500GB external hard drive for all my backups on my computer for pics, files, videos and whatever else I want to save and it's nowhere near even half full and I have over 32k pics on it. Can't imagine using a service to do that.....especially paying them to do that.

Gr8bawana

WKR
How can we check to see how much we have now? I tried to look, but i'm no computer whiz and get stumped easily.

When you log in to your account it tells you over on the left side next to your username.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
It DOES NOT MATTER how many pictures you have compared to storage size. We are strictly talking bandwidth here. Even if you had only one photo that was viewed enough times, you would exceed the allowable amount.

Every single time someone views your picture, it is linked to Photobucket. That view uses bandwidth. There is no way to check or monitor bandwidth, deleting pictures doesn't help either.

I've been tampering with IMGUR and GOOGLE trying to decide which I like better. Presently, GOOGLE is kicking my butt. IMGUR seems to be the most similar to Photobucket.

Here's a thread about Photobucket alternatives:
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/general-discussion-forum/69555-photobucket-alternative.html

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah I don't use photobucket to store stuff (I actually purge it from time to time on things that I don't need to have on it anymore) its purely for hosting images in threads and stuff.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I don't use photobucket to store stuff (I actually purge it from time to time on things that I don't need to have on it anymore) its purely for hosting images in threads and stuff.

Exact same boat here, ALL of my hunting threads just got shut down for pictures. I started making the switch on lunch to get them working again.

Brendan

WKR
If anyone's open to paying - I've had great luck with SmugMug at $48/yr... used by a lot of professional photographers.

colonel00

WKR
It DOES NOT MATTER how many pictures you have compared to storage size. We are strictly talking bandwidth here. Even if you had only one photo that was viewed enough times, you would exceed the allowable amount.

Every single time someone views your picture, it is linked to Photobucket. That view uses bandwidth. There is no way to check or monitor bandwidth, deleting pictures doesn't help either.

I've been tampering with IMGUR and GOOGLE trying to decide which I like better. Presently, GOOGLE is kicking my butt. IMGUR seems to be the most similar to Photobucket.

Here's a thread about Photobucket alternatives:
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/general-discussion-forum/69555-photobucket-alternative.html

Well, the bandwidth thing is how they used to throttle it but now it sounds like any hosting at all will be squashed unless you pay for the premium package. It's flat out dumb but whatever.

if you need help with Google Photos, just let me know.

Dinger

WKR
If anyone's open to paying - I've had great luck with SmugMug at $48/yr... used by a lot of professional photographers.

I've used the Basic level Smugmug plan for years and zero issues (3.99/mth if paid annually).

dotman

WKR
Bet they find most customers leave and that it effects other revenue sources.