Water pressure question/help

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know why I would loose water pressure in just my kitchen sink? The rest of the house is normal. Sometimes there is some pressure in the kitchen sink but most of the time there is practically no pressure and comes out at a very small rate. Thanks

Sounds like something stuck in the line. Particles can build up and get trapped where the shut-off valves are. Could also be in the cartridge where the hot/cold mix.

If you have hard water try removing the screen on the end of the faucet and cleaning it. Do you see a difference in the wand versus the spout?

Tod osier

WKR
The valves in a sink are often more complex than you would think. A little bit of junk can get in the and clog up the works.

did you take off the aerator and clean that out? The aerator is at the end/tip where the water comes out, they usually unscrew and can clog up (but that wouldn’t be intermittent like that).

OP
H

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
The entire faucet is brand new. We replaced it a few weeks ago. We didn’t like the old one and thought that a new one might fix the problem. Kind of kill two birds with one stone kind of thing

What is your water source? Well or municipal?

Do you have a whole house filter of some sort?

I have seen gravels somehow end up in water lines. They can get in somewhere where it reduces (elbow, shutoff) and block a lot of water flow. You don't know until you cut it open and find the obstruction. This is extreme and not something to do until you have exhausted all other options. But I would try to unhook the sink from the extensions and make sure you are getting adequate flow through everything there. What I'm calling extensions are the flexible pieces of pipe between your shut-off valves and the connections on the faucet. Then you know it is something in the sink fixture itself.

OP
H

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
we Have municipal water. I don’t think we have a whole house water filter but I’m not entirely sure, we just bought the house a few months ago so I’m still figuring everything out. I will check the hoses again but those r brand new as well so I wouldn’t think they would be a problem.
Thank you guys I appreciate the help. Looks like I’ll be calling a plumber to look .

ElkNut1

WKR
If pressure is ok everywhere but in the kitchen faucet & you replaced with new one & have same 'No Pressure Issue' then I'd remove the hot & cold lines from faucet & turn on while the ends are in a 5 gallon bucket to see what the pressure is like with no faucet restriction. If pressure is still lacking then problem is in your water line. If good solid pressure then issue is most likely your screen filters have sandy type debris in them, most faucets have two filter sources in or near the spout, remove them & try water pressure to see if it helps.

Look for any kink in your hoses too.

ElkNut/Paul

Is it new construction? Saw dust and debris can get in lines and clog up aerators. Aerators should be removed and lines flushed before first use.

OP
H

hunterman_78

Lil-Rokslider
No not new construction. Before I call the plumber I’ll try what Paul suggested. I hope it’s just a screen... maybe the faucet we got was bad.

Yeah, more than likely it's the aerator plugged up. Even though its a new faucet, when you shut off the supply line valves to install, then turned them back on, any debris in the valves or the lines was likely flushed up into the faucet aerator, plugging up the screen/filter assembly. Good luck!

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes sir, I've replaced many a faucets, once you disconnect the hot & cold supply & allow to sit dormant even for a short period debris can collect there in the lines, hot water is a huge culprit at times as it comes from the hot water heater where crud builds up. Before installing and connecting a new faucet you should turn on both hot cold valves for 30 seconds with flex water lines installed & run into a bucket under the sink, this will flush out the lines that may have any sandy or calcium build up that can settle in them when pressure is turned off. -- At this stage your filters in the spout are most likely clogged, it doesn't take much.

When you remove both hot & cold lines from new faucet I feel you will find you have very good water pressure, that's a good thing! (grin) Make sure to turn both hot & cold valves off under sink before removing to test!

I'm sure your new faucet is fine, it's just plugged at the filters.

ElkNut/Paul

Same exact thing happened to me when I replaced the sink faucet. It turned out the weight that pulls the extendable spray head was in the wrong location, and the retractable hose was getting pinched. sometimes it worked, sometimes not. I moved the weight and it cleared up

Titan

WKR
The problem being random is a little puzzling. Unless some crud is hanging out and then getting "sucked" up and blocking a line, then it falls back down.

Do you have a whole house water heater? Maybe a under sink tankless? Any water filtration under there?

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely would agree with Elknut. Check the flow of your intake lines, then check the aerator and narrow it down from there. Had the same problem a few months ago and had a bunch of sediment blocking up the cartridge. Installed a new water softener/filter combo and haven't had any issues since.

Check that you are operating your new faucet correctly - mine will show low pressure when the selector is stuck between stream and spray settings on the nozzle. If that is not the case I bet the old faucet had a faulty mixing valve giving you random issues and the new faucet probably has an aerator screen clogged with sediment that was stirred up in the lines when you changed faucets. After that I’d look at shut off valves or check for mistakes in installing the new faucet like the pinched lines mentioned earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Try taking off the supply line where it attaches to the shut off valve and check it for debris. I just had this happen replacing a toilet valve.

Evidently there was scale/rust in the valve. It came off when I close the valve to empty the tank. When I turned it back on I had nothing. This was a 10 minute late night project and I thought I’d really messed up. Popped off the line and there it was. Cleaned it out and everything was fine.