Waterfowl boat recommendations

Chuckybmd

WKR
I’m looking to buy a 18-20 Foot aluminum Jon boat. Based on where I live I will need a jet motor. I have interest in g3 and crestliner lines. Curious if anyone has a strong impression or recommendation. They are hard to find these days.

I have a 19 excel with a 115 opti on it SC and it flat out runs! 40-45 loaded with a big blind with lids dog and decoys. I am moving to MT and not sure if want to keep it but though about putting a jet on it. time will tell but it doesn't draft hardly any water at all. Highly recommend them. they have longitudinal bracing vs horizontal like war eagle which over time is way better when start getting dents. def worth a look

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on what you want it to do and how far you are willing to go to get it. AR and LA are the Mecca for those boats.

AlWeld, Weld Built, Alumacraft, Pro Drive, Go Devil, Havoc, Excel, Prodigy($$$), Beavertail…and on and on.

Personally…go with a heavy gauge welded hull from a place that can fix it close to where you live. Welds break and boats get leaks.

G3 is good to get fixed everywhere.

Darryle

WKR
Where do you live?

Have you tried over on the iFish forum, those guys in the northwest would have more insight than an ignorant member like me from the south.

Good luck with your search!

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever ones the closest to home incase you ever need anything done with it.

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
Where do you live?

Have you tried over on the iFish forum, those guys in the northwest would have more insight than an ignorant member like me from the south.

Good luck with your search!
I live in Southern Idaho. Used to live in East Texas. It’s hard to find boats out this way to be honest.

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
It depends on what you want it to do and how far you are willing to go to get it. AR and LA are the Mecca for those boats.

AlWeld, Weld Built, Alumacraft, Pro Drive, Go Devil, Havoc, Excel, Prodigy($$$), Beavertail…and on and on.

Personally…go with a heavy gauge welded hull from a place that can fix it close to where you live. Welds break and boats get leaks.

G3 is good to get fixed everywhere.
I might have to plan a trip. They are hard to find out west. Might have to wait till crawfish season is back on to make it worth my while.

bigdub257

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at Elephant Boys in Spokane. They have a few different brands. Friend of mine bought a RH Sea Hawk or River Hawk with an outboard jet and is very happy with it. They seem to be reasonably priced.

Wags

WKR
I've spent time in an older G3 and it's a well built boat. We ran a 65 Jet on it in shallow water and it held up great despite all the crap we hit.

Smoker Craft is in WA and makes well made boats as well.

There's a used Fisher on the Bend OR Craigslist that you may want to look at as well.

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking into buying a mod jon too, just a heads up, you're not likely to find one in stock from my experience. Tracker was out like 6 months, I think Lund, you are looking almost a year. I didn't call every single company, and it could have change from a month ago, so you may want to look used.

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
I've been looking into buying a mod jon too, just a heads up, you're not likely to find one in stock from my experience. Tracker was out like 6 months, I think Lund, you are looking almost a year. I didn't call every single company, and it could have change from a month ago, so you may want to look used.
That has been my experience. The prices have gone up a ton too!

Wrench

WKR
If you're gonna put a jet on it, might as well pony up for one you can trust to run up the river in. Light boats are a blast to play in.

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
I've spent time in an older G3 and it's a well built boat. We ran a 65 Jet on it in shallow water and it held up great despite all the crap we hit.

Smoker Craft is in WA and makes well made boats as well.

There's a used Fisher on the Bend OR Craigslist that you may want to look at as well.
G3 boats seem nice. Just can’t find them. Most of my hunting is off the snake river so very shallow in spots. I’ll check out the Craigslist!

Fatcamp

WKR
Facebook Marketplace can be good as well. Late last Fall there were a ton of boats for sale up here. Not so much now.

Very happy I moved when I did.

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
Facebook Marketplace can be good as well. Late last Fall there were a ton of boats for sale up here. Not so much now.

Very happy I moved when I did.
Hopefully more start showing up. I’m always a little slow with buying things. I hate spending money. The last couple years that has put me a huge disadvantage, because nothing is in stock for very long.

Wrench

WKR
If you're patient there's likely going to be a bunch for sale. I've heard many mortgage writers were recently let go....that's always the cornerstone to cheap toys. Just gotta find the guy who financed one a little deeper than his pocket.

Fatcamp

WKR
Hopefully more start showing up. I’m always a little slow with buying things. I hate spending money. The last couple years that has put me a huge disadvantage, because nothing is in stock for very long.

Ya, I hear that. My wife wanted a boat for bowfishing and I like to give her what I can.

Expand your search for sure, we had to travel down into Iowa for this one. Big flat bottom boats are not real common around here.