Weed Whackers

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Milwaukee M18 just like almost everyone else. I never thought it would be able to compare to a gas powered one but it honestly does. I’m an electrician and all of my cordless tools are Milwaukee as well. So I have a bunch of batteries which makes it’s a lot easier. They do go on sale and sometimes you can find a bundle deal with a blower and batteries. The attachments that you can get for it as well are really awesome. I have quite a few of them.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
Plus one for Milwaukee. Have never used their weedeater but I’m a contractor and Milwaukee is all we use. If you get a pro account at Home Depot they run deals all the time on Milwaukee tool bundles.

TaperPin

WKR
I have the dual battery Makita, primarily because all my cordless tools are Makita.

No complaints whatsoever. It’s light, has enough power for grass, and batteries last a long time. I wouldn’t want less power, so the single battery version wouldn’t be a first choice.

I also have the landscaper push mower and a single battery blower, all with no complaints.

If someone has Milwaukee tools then by all means get their trimmer.

Milwaukee...

I've got a whole bunch of their cordless stuff. Weedeater, pole saw attachment, blower... Carpentry for work, mechanics stuff for hobbies, and some more in between. I've been very happy overall.

D S 319

WKR
I thought the only difference was the color..

I got Milwaukee cause I found too good of a deal to pass up on Home Depot awhile back for a power tool set.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
My dad bought an electric weed eater… He borrows my gas one whenever he needs to do get things done.

In all honesty for your use case it sounds like the Milwaukee would be good.

I have been using the Makita single battery weed whacker for over 2 years now with no complaints. I dont have an unusually large yard but I am pretty redneck and use it to "mow" the front and back lawns and edge everything. Also have a variety of other tools and hedge trimmer powered by Makita.

Rich M

WKR
No more gas weed whackers for me.

I went with Ryobi. 18 inch chain saw and weed whacker with edger attachment. 40 amp batteries. Does a good job.

I'm sure the similar size ones from the other mfrs will be comparable. It takes down forbs and knee high bushy plants with ease, but does flounder a bit on the large clump grasses 2-3 ft tall - the blades of grass will bind around the spin head butcha figure out how to get it done anyway. This is with string. I'm considering getting a brush blade for it for part of my yard.

The edger isn't real powerful but you figure out what it can do in about 3 minutes and then work with it. My wife likes and edged driveway so takes me about 15 minutes, shovel dome dirt and lil momma's happy.

sndmn11

WKR
Well, I was hoping there was some love for Makita as Home Depot has them on sale right now. Does anyone put them on sale around memorial or Father’s Day?
We have had a Makita x36 power shaft string trimmer for a handful of years. It is easy and whacks well.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the Milwaukee this spring and it works great. You can find good deals on eBay. I picked up the blower/trimmer with a battery NIB for $340.

Yoder

WKR
I bought a 40V Kobalt battery powered weed eater a few years ago. I thought they were a joke until my dad bought one. The thing works great. It runs for about an hour on a charge and is pretty powerful. I think it's as good a gas without the hassle. I just got tired of always having to screw with starting them every year.

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for the Milwaukee just make sure you have an 8 or 12 AH battery anything else you'll burn through super quick. Home depot usually does have memorial day and fathers day sales on that kind of of stuff

...... You can find good deals on eBay........
I am hesitant to buy anything like that on Ebay these days. I know everything is made in China, but if you buy from a reputable dealer (Lowes, Home Depot, etc), at least you can hope it is first generation Chinese, and return it if you have a problem. If you buy it on Ebay, there is a good chance you are a buying a cheap chinese imitation knock-off of a chinese product. Returning it if it fails can cost a lot more than you imagine when shipping lithium batteries, etc. Could be true of any online vendor too, especially Amazon now.

Last edited: