Weight saving tips.

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
After looking at some more specs on the Samsung S5 Sport, I'm leaning that way now. It is water and dust resistant, has a removable battery and an expansion sd slot.

Buy a extended run time battery, preload your maps on the sd card and up load your way points... You now have your GPS, phone and camera all in one package!

I was thinking of the same phone until I saw that it's exclusively ATT. I've had both and can say at least in CA, CO, WA, OR, ID Verizon hammers ATT in cell coverage especially in the mountains. Something to consider.

Verizon hammers ATT in cell coverage especially in the mountains. Something to consider.

I think Verizon hammers every other service when it comes to coverage any where...

I get my phone thru work and we have Sprint. The coverage isn't the greatest, but the price is right for me.

I ordered the S5 yesterday, so I'll get to see how it compares to my HTC.

alukban

FNG
Another option is using a simple coordinate dump on your smartphone. Turn it off when not in use. With no maps to display, it uses less memory.

The iphone compass app does show your coordinates but I use an app called Tom's Trails because it can dump your coordinates in UTM. I prefer UTM maps and a real compass but do enjoy the convenience of location verification from the coordinate dump.

To "mark way points", I take screen grabs of the coordinate dump or simply write it down on the danged map.

muleman

WKR
I like UTM too. The OP's app of choice BackCountry Navigator has several format options including UTM.

syte5avy.jpg

Mine worked great around home and in the open country. Up elk hunting most of the time it was pretty good. But there were a few times that it was over a quarter mile off and wouldn't get any closer.

muleman

WKR
Mine has worked great. Even in dark timber and steep canyons. Very accurate and repeatable.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
Weird. I haven't had a problem with accuracy before.

I have had zero issues with accuracy using my Samsung S3 and BCN. Much better than the Garmin Etrex I used to carry. Longer battery life than the Garmin too. I have the Otterbox case and I think my phone in this case is way more reliable and durable than a Garmin. I've had a Garmin crap out on me for no reason. My phone has been through the ringer and is still 100% dependable.