Well I caved, down the hole I go….

243 build

Ok so I have fallen victim to the Rokslide koolaid and picked up my first Tikka in 243 with an 8 twist. My hope is this thread will serve to outline my process for building off of this platform, the quality of performance as a factory rifle, later on as a custom rifle and even field performance with this particular cartridge. Ultimately this action will get a make over to the point it is no longer a factory rifle with all custom components. I chose the 243 because it was the first cartridge I ever hunted with and I just enjoy shooting it. Plus I have a 223 bolt rifle that shoots so well I couldn’t justify a second right now.

The starting point.

IMG_9097.jpeg

Here are my plans right now:

I will keep the rifle configuration as is and only add a scope (prob a vortex gasp! as that’s all I have on hand extra) in UM Tikka rings that have already been ordered along with the trigger spring. Don’t worry better glass will be on it soon. I will shoot the poop out of this barrel as time allows or until I get bored 😂

I’ll be shooting the Hornady 105 Amax mostly because I have a ton from a previous 243 build that I didn’t hang onto (stupidly) and I plan to snag some 108 Eldms to see how they do as well.

IMG_9096.jpeg

Chamber measurements give me a 2.830 COAL (pictured above) with the 105 and will start load work up based off that info. Plan to get some rounds loaded for testing this weekend if all goes well.

Long Term:

Still deciding what route I want to go with the stock as there is a decent selection of them available these days but will probably try a couple different ones before it’s all said and done. I have a cartridge in mind for when I rebarrel but that will be a discussion for much later in this thread.

Feel free to discuss anything 243 related, your thoughts on how the rifle will perform or even share your 243 experiences/load data here.

Thanks for following along.

SC

I too just recently picked up a tikka 243, a stainless lite. It's a 1:10 however but I couldn't resist the price plus the rebate.
I don't reload so I figured the slower twist won't matter that much to me with factory bullet options.

I'll probably do something boring with it like put an accupoint 3-9 in sportsmatch rings. Maybe cut and thread it once I get a suppressor.

OP
sierracharlie338
I too just recently picked up a tikka 243, a stainless lite. It's a 1:10 however but I couldn't resist the price plus the rebate.
I don't reload so I figured the slower twist won't matter that much to me with factory bullet options.

I'll probably do something boring with it like put an accupoint 3-9 in sportsmatch rings. Maybe cut and thread it once I get a suppressor.
Nothing wrong with that at all. Plus you have the ability to make it almost any cartridge you want by swapping a new barrel.

OP
sierracharlie338
Alrighty then. Scope mounted and UM trigger spring installed. Let me just say the folks at Unknown Munitions took care of me and got my order shipped out in time for me to take the rifle on a hunt this weekend. I’ll be a repeat customer.

Won’t obviously be hunting with it, with zero rounds down the tube but will start with some rounds from a previous rifle to see how it shoots.

Progress
IMG_9104.jpeg
IMG_9105.jpeg

OP
sierracharlie338
Not trying to derail your thread, and congrats on becoming a Tikka owner… Don’t you dare blame the rifles performance on that scope!

Enjoy!
Bwahahahaa THERE IT IS!! I knew someone would say it!

This is just a temp until I can order a new one. That Maven is probably what will end up here but maybe ole Santy Clause will have a surprise for me!??

Macintosh

WKR
Yes touching the lands at 2.830 and from preliminary measurements that COAL might barely fit in the mag. I’ll be loading some tomorrow to see for sure.
If you have a mag length issue the m+ mags will give you a bit of additional length. Those are sold as 6.5cm mags and they allow a slightly longer cartridge compared to the standard 308-based short action mags.

OP
sierracharlie338
If you have a mag length issue the m+ mags will give you a bit of additional length. Those are sold as 6.5cm mags and they allow a slightly longer cartridge compared to the standard 308-based short action mags.
Awesome. Saw those on a website and was wondering why they had a different “model” for the CM. I will probably get a couple of those for the time being.

OP
sierracharlie338
One thing I really dislike is the “bottom metal” and mag for the factory Tikkas. Just in manipulating it while working on the gun I don’t like how cheap it feels. I’m sure it will function fine but it is definitely not solid feeling. I will probably be upgrading to a stock with AICS capabilities solely for this reason.

Initial impressions of UM rings:

I picked up the UM Tikka rings and got them mounted last night. UM provides two different sets of dowels (threaded/unthreaded) for the action under the scope rings which was nice. Overall quality seems great with a good finish. Torqued everything to their spec and it seems good and sturdy. No I won’t be dropping anything so don’t ask. Very happy with this ring purchase.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
One thing I really dislike is the “bottom metal” and mag for the factory Tikkas. Just in manipulating it while working on the gun I don’t like how cheap it feels. I’m sure it will function fine but it is definitely not solid feeling. I will probably be upgrading to a stock with AICS capabilities solely for this reason.

Initial impressions of UM rings:

I picked up the UM Tikka rings and got them mounted last night. UM provides two different sets of dowels (threaded/unthreaded) for the action under the scope rings which was nice. Overall quality seems great with a good finish. Torqued everything to their spec and it seems good and sturdy. No I won’t be dropping anything so don’t ask. Very happy with this ring purchase.
Hawkins and Mountain Tactical have you covered if you don't want a mag extending below the stock.

As far as mag length. An LA bolt stop and 30-06 mags will solve that.

Jeremy

COelk89

FNG
Nice Rifle! I have had a Tikka Superlite in 30-06 for about 5 years now and absolutely love it. I was gifted a more expensive rifle with some additional custom rifle type features last year...but I still prefer the Tikka for the feel of the action, trigger, and overall way it has performed repeatedly in less than ideal situations.

I am curious what the trigger spring upgrade you did to the tikka? Could you post the purpose of that spring change or share a thread that details that? Not that mine needs it, but spring upgrades that do not require a smith can be pretty cheap improvements!