Well I caved, down the hole I go….

OP
sierracharlie338
Well got an initial pressure test done, sort of. Didn’t hit pressure and ended at 2913. Debating on keeping the crappy Rem brass or trying to track down some Peterson or Lapua and just be done with it. Will be cleaning and continuing with pressure for the next range trip. Running the 105s and H4831sc.

On a side note. I hate the Tupperware stock. That will be going sooner than later. Probably stick it in a bravo for the easy button.

More to come.

sveltri

WKR
Well got an initial pressure test done, sort of. Didn’t hit pressure and ended at 2913. Debating on keeping the crappy Rem brass or trying to track down some Peterson or Lapua and just be done with it. Will be cleaning and continuing with pressure for the next range trip. Running the 105s and H4831sc.

On a side note. I hate the Tupperware stock. That will be going sooner than later. Probably stick it in a bravo for the easy button.

More to come.
That gets me excited to see what the Ackley will do. I’m planning on trying 4831sc and 565.

More to come.

Do you have the vertical grip on your stock yet? Helps it a lot for $30 haha I agree that a better stock helps significantly though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WayneKerr

FNG

More to come.

Good luck finding Lapua or Peterson brass. I read a post on here not too long ago that said Peterson won't be doing 243 until sometime next year, but I don't know if that's legit. No idea what Lapua is up to with 243. Sig brass is surprisingly good for the price. I bought a bag to try and then bought 2 more because it works quite well.

My rifle hates H4831sc. Could not get the 103/108 eld's to group well with it. I know you're slinging the 105's, but try H4350 if you don't get group sizes acceptable to your standards. Other combos my rifle likes are 95gr ballistic tips with H1000 or RL26, and 100gr gamekings with RL26.

Factory stock with the vertical grip, limbsaver pad, and a widened barrel channel is actually a pretty nice set up. I like it a lot in terms of cost vs performance. I love my 243 in a bravo though. Great combo. Another stock I like is the GRS Fenris. Very comfy ergonomics. It's a butt ugly stock though.

OP
sierracharlie338
Good luck finding Lapua or Peterson brass. I read a post on here not too long ago that said Peterson won't be doing 243 until sometime next year, but I don't know if that's legit. No idea what Lapua is up to with 243. Sig brass is surprisingly good for the price. I bought a bag to try and then bought 2 more because it works quite well.

My rifle hates H4831sc. Could not get the 103/108 eld's to group well with it. I know you're slinging the 105's, but try H4350 if you don't get group sizes acceptable to your standards. Other combos my rifle likes are 95gr ballistic tips with H1000 or RL26, and 100gr gamekings with RL26.

Factory stock with the vertical grip, limbsaver pad, and a widened barrel channel is actually a pretty nice set up. I like it a lot in terms of cost vs performance. I love my 243 in a bravo though. Great combo. Another stock I like is the GRS Fenris. Very comfy ergonomics. It's a butt ugly stock though.
I had a bunch of 4831 on hand that wasn’t dedicated to a rifle yet. I have RL16, 4451, 4350 and 4166(I think that’s the right number) that all should be usable. I’ve heard that about H4831 plenty of times over the years that rifles seem to love it or hate it.

I’m getting the vertical grip delivered this week so looking forward to see how it improves the stock feel. Hadn’t seen the GRS so I’ll have to check that out as well.

I like the factory stock with the vertical grip. I also installed a Matthew's Fabrication cheek riser kit off Amazon. For a hunting rig, the factory stock is excellent IMO.

I might have missed it but have you shot it yet? Accuracy?

OP
sierracharlie338
I like the factory stock with the vertical grip. I also installed a Matthew's Fabrication cheek riser kit off Amazon. For a hunting rig, the factory stock is excellent IMO.

I might have missed it but have you shot it yet? Accuracy?
Yeah I shot it Sunday for a pressure ladder and got up to 2913 without pressures and the 105amax. I shot two three round groups with all different charge weights of powder and both groups were under an inch. Vertical grip is inbound and I’m looking for some quality brass to start load development with. Just plinking for now.

Yeah I shot it Sunday for a pressure ladder and got up to 2913 without pressures and the 105amax. I shot two three round groups with all different charge weights of powder and both groups were under an inch. Vertical grip is inbound and I’m looking for some quality brass to start load development with. Just plinking for now.

Cool. I really like the vertical grip mod. I also have come to appreciate the simple, 3 round flush fit mag and the factory stock. I've done the 5 round mag on Tikkas and I'm not a big fan.

OP
sierracharlie338
Cool. I really like the vertical grip mod. I also have come to appreciate the simple, 3 round flush fit mag and the factory stock. I've done the 5 round mag on Tikkas and I'm not a big fan.
I also generally prefer a flush fit on a hunting rifle and despite the cheap feeling of the plastic the mag feeds flawlessly. When I switch the stock to a chassis for the next parts of this build I will go to an AICS pattern mag most likely.

OP
sierracharlie338
Finally got back to the range with this project. Shot a higher ladder on new Peterson brass. Still didn’t hit pressure up to 2950 but found a node right at 2900 for what I’ll load for the rest of this new brass. The 8 shot pressure ladder went 1.1 MOA which looks promising.

I did shoot some of the 106 TAP seconds that I picked up but did not get great results due to the 8 twist being a marginal rate for the long 106s at my elevation.

Update on the crappy stock: I still hate it! I put the vertical grip on it and that definitely made it feel more comfortable but I continue to fight it. I will be swapping the stock as soon as funds allow but will keep shooting in factory configuration until then. I sure do like how light it is currently though.

I’ll be loading a bunch for shooting and seeing what kind of groups I can put together.

More to come….

sveltri

WKR
I got my Tikka 243 AI back from rechambering and started fire forming with Hornady brass. Loaded 10 with 4831sc at my coal, I started at 2 grains below max and started shooting. First 4 that shot were 1 big hole, fifth shot was about .75” out. I was only able to chamber 6 of the 10 rounds I loaded. Aside from the not chambering issue I was pretty happy with accuracy and velocity consistency 2868 fps. Switched to Peterson, dropped a grain and continued. No issues chambering and accuracy continues to be acceptable, haven’t shot a group on paper since the first 5, but I was able to stack shots on top of each other at 491 prone with both a bipod and off back pack. Velocity at 44 gns is 2814 but less consistent I assume due to case fill. 108 eldm image.jpg