Well I caved, down the hole I go….

OP
sierracharlie338
Nice Rifle! I have had a Tikka Superlite in 30-06 for about 5 years now and absolutely love it. I was gifted a more expensive rifle with some additional custom rifle type features last year...but I still prefer the Tikka for the feel of the action, trigger, and overall way it has performed repeatedly in less than ideal situations.

I am curious what the trigger spring upgrade you did to the tikka? Could you post the purpose of that spring change or share a thread that details that? Not that mine needs it, but spring upgrades that do not require a smith can be pretty cheap improvements!
Yeah absolutely. It reduces the factory trigger poundage from about 4lbs to about 1.5lbs. It made a huge difference. When I get home this evening I’ll post some more details.

COelk89

FNG
Yeah absolutely. It reduces the factory trigger poundage from about 4lbs to about 1.5lbs. It made a huge difference. When I get home this evening I’ll post some more details.
Wow, I need to get a scale to test objectively I guess. I could swear my stock trigger is the best I've ever had out of the box. I have my trigger tech adjusted to the minimum 2.5lbs it is capable of and the tikka feels like it breaks with less. Thanks for the info.

KenLee

WKR
Alrighty then. Scope mounted and UM trigger spring installed. Let me just say the folks at Unknown Munitions took care of me and got my order shipped out in time for me to take the rifle on a hunt this weekend. I’ll be a repeat customer.

Won’t obviously be hunting with it, with zero rounds down the tube but will start with some rounds from a previous rifle to see how it shoots.

Progress
View attachment 641826
View attachment 641828
Waymint, (Carolinian for wait a damn minute) what's that scope with a "V" ?
I was with you til that pic.

KenLee

WKR
It’s all I have on hand currently man lol. And I don’t want to wait to shoot it either. So just blur that part out for now. If it had iron sights I’d probably shoot those instead 😂
I keep a couple SWFA 6x and 10x to try new to me rifles out. Let's me know whether to find the rifle a new home or buy a good low light scope for hunting.

OP
sierracharlie338
Wow, I need to get a scale to test objectively I guess. I could swear my stock trigger is the best I've ever had out of the box. I have my trigger tech adjusted to the minimum 2.5lbs it is capable of and the tikka feels like it breaks with less. Thanks for the info.
If you want to verify with out purchasing anything there are tons of video on YouTube with guys testing factory spring vs the new spring with a trigger pull gauge.

SloppyJ

WKR
Hawkins and Mountain Tactical have you covered if you don't want a mag extending below the stock.

As far as mag length. An LA bolt stop and 30-06 mags will solve that.

Jeremy
That's exactly what I was thinking and yet another beauty of the Tikka. I believe you can go up to roughly 3.4" with the factory "long action" mags and bolt stop. It looks like you're close to where you want to be at mag length so maybe it's fine exactly where it's at. Either way, having the option is nice. It's a really tough sell talking myself into a building a custom 6creed when this is now offered in an 8" twist. I'll be following along for sure.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
One thing I really dislike is the “bottom metal” and mag for the factory Tikkas. Just in manipulating it while working on the gun I don’t like how cheap it feels. I’m sure it will function fine but it is definitely not solid feeling. I will probably be upgrading to a stock with AICS capabilities solely for this reason.

Initial impressions of UM rings:

I picked up the UM Tikka rings and got them mounted last night. UM provides two different sets of dowels (threaded/unthreaded) for the action under the scope rings which was nice. Overall quality seems great with a good finish. Torqued everything to their spec and it seems good and sturdy. No I won’t be dropping anything so don’t ask. Very happy with this ring purchase.
I don’t like the plastic bottom metal either. The aftermarket ones let me torque things down a bit more. I have a few mountain tactical and a high desert one. I like the looks of the one from Lumley with the oversized trigger guard.

OP
sierracharlie338
Got a small ladder test (just looking for pressure) and some previous rounds loaded up for this weekend. If there ain’t no deer kilt, I reckon there will at least be some shootin!
IMG_9115.jpeg

Also the CBTO of 2.268 (.020 off the lands) barely fits 😂 gonna have to order one or two of those extended mags it seems.
IMG_9116.jpeg

Last edited:

BLJ

WKR
For reference @sierracharlie338 I’ve used the M+ mags with the shorter factory rounds with zero issues. In both my 308 and dads 243.
I thought that the extra “jump” may cause a feeding issue but I didn’t.
No down side to the extra space. IMO.

OP
sierracharlie338
For reference @sierracharlie338 I’ve used the M+ mags with the shorter factory rounds with zero issues. In both my 308 and dads 243.
I thought that the extra “jump” may cause a feeding issue but I didn’t.
No down side to the extra space. IMO.
Totally agree. Berger 140eh is jumping 60k in my 260 but shoots the best there and sucked everywhere shorter.

Last edited:

BLJ

WKR
Totally agree. Berger 140eh is jumping 60k in my 260 but shots the best there and sucked everywhere shorter.
I need to clarify. I wasn’t meaning “jump” in reference to the lands.
I was meaning that the M+ mags the shorter factory rounds may have a less controlled feeding process from magazine to chamber. If that makes sense?
And we have experience no issues.

OP
sierracharlie338
I need to clarify. I wasn’t meaning “jump” in reference to the lands.
I was meaning that the M+ mags the shorter factory rounds may have a less controlled feeding process from magazine to chamber. If that makes sense?
And we have experience no issues.
Oh yeah got ya

I too just recently picked up a tikka 243, a stainless lite. It's a 1:10 however but I couldn't resist the price plus the rebate.
I don't reload so I figured the slower twist won't matter that much to me with factory bullet options.

I'll probably do something boring with it like put an accupoint 3-9 in sportsmatch rings. Maybe cut and thread it once I get a suppressor.

You should start shooting the 90gr eldx through it and let me know before buy a ton of that ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Rifle! I have had a Tikka Superlite in 30-06 for about 5 years now and absolutely love it. I was gifted a more expensive rifle with some additional custom rifle type features last year...but I still prefer the Tikka for the feel of the action, trigger, and overall way it has performed repeatedly in less than ideal situations.

I am curious what the trigger spring upgrade you did to the tikka? Could you post the purpose of that spring change or share a thread that details that? Not that mine needs it, but spring upgrades that do not require a smith can be pretty cheap improvements!

I use MCarbo. Check out YouTube for vids of changing out the factory spring. The hardest part about it is getting the metric Allen wrenches that you will need.

That being said, the stock factory trigger is, in my opinion, the best factory trigger going right now. There is no need for most people to do anything to it. Some of us, however, like a bit lighter trigger pull, even for our hunting guns, so we tweak.

OP
sierracharlie338
I use MCarbo. Check out YouTube for vids of changing out the factory spring. The hardest part about it is getting the metric Allen wrenches that you will need.

That being said, the stock factory trigger is, in my opinion, the best factory trigger going right now. There is no need for most people to do anything to it. Some of us, however, like a bit lighter trigger pull, even for our hunting guns, so we tweak.
I sold guns for a living for a while and totally agree. For a factory trigger it’s hard to beat considering Ruger was putting triggers that were close to 10lbs in their m77 Hawkeyes at one point.