What bow for a 73 year old Elk hunter?

Hi,

I am 73 and presently use a PSE Evoke 35" bow. I like it but don't love it. It's a bit long and a bit heavy for me. I'm average height (5'9ish) about 180 and my DL is about 27.5. I'm drawing about 62lbs and it may be all I want though I shoot almost every day and 62 is getting easier and easier. The bow is a 70 LB model.

I'm wondering what Bow other bowhunters might recommend for me? One thing I definitely want in a bow which is that it be light weight. Right now I'm considering a Elite Carbone ERA, a PSE Carbon Mach 34 or maybe the PSE Levitate though I'm concerned about getting a bow with a short brace height because I am not the steadiest shot. I have considered used bows as well like the PSE Carbon Stealth. But again the Stealth has a 6" brace height. The Elite Terrain bow also looked interesting to me as it's only about 4 Lbs. The Bowtech Carbon Ion and Zion looked interesting since they are light as well though some don't like the Grip and some are suspicious of the strength of the riser. Whatever bow I get I won't get high velocity even with a light arrow so I'm going with fairly heavy arrows (victory Xtorsion ss) with 50 gn titanium half certs and 125 gn Iron Will single bevel broadheads, Total weight is 550 gn. Please give me some other light weight options. Thanks in advance.

Rob5589

WKR
I have the same bow. At 4.5lbs bare it's about average weight wise for a longer ata bow. Something to look at maybe before a new bow is your accessories. Sight, quiver, stabilizers, etc will add up quickly.

Hwcopley

Lil-Rokslider
My dad is 76 and went to the carbon stealth a few years ago. It’s light and easy for him to shoot. He shoots it with no stabilizer and 3 fixed pins to keep the weight down. He’s not winning metals but it gets is done at 40yrds

OP
Roughwater
I just got a PSE Fortis 33. I’m around 300 shots in. I did virtually zero tuning and got a perfect flying bare shaft. I’m very pleased with this bow
I do like a PSE Bow! I feel like they are under rated. I feel like they are solid shooters and above average quality.
I don't generally follow the latest in bow's till I need a new bow then I research everything like crazy. I see most of the top rated bows continue to improve in some way every year. You would think they would eventually run out of things to improve but they seem to keep at it. I do like the way Elite has set up their top two bows so they can be paper tuned without a press.

When I was younger I really never considered weight to be a real factor with selecting a bow and it's probably in part due to age but for me but now it's a top consideration. I gotta say though the more and more regular I shoot I find it easier to deal with my bow's weight. When I'm nearly on target and the pin is below the center I feel like I have to spend a lot of energy to lift it up a little higher. Also, most of my archery hunting is done out west and I walk a lot. I don't have a ATV or horse or even a bike so the less the weight the better. My Hunts have always been DIY. This year I drew Montana. I am hoping the unit I hunted in 3 years ago hasn't changed much as I saw and heard a fair amount of Elk. Elk hunting gives me a needed challenge. It requires me to shed some Lbs and practice shooting and gives a guy something worth working toward. I know it will hurt even if I do everything I can to prepare but it could kill me if I don't seriously prepare. I've lost 12 lbs and hope to loose at least 12 more plus.

OP
Roughwater
I have the same bow. At 4.5lbs bare it's about average weight wise for a longer ata bow. Something to look at maybe before a new bow is your accessories. Sight, quiver, stabilizers, etc will add up quickly.
I've looked at the RX7 and it looks like a great bow as does the Mathews Phase 4. But I am a little put off by them because they are average weight. I know some of the integrated rest and sights might save a bit of weight but I feel a little better about getting a bow that is lighter than average then select accessories that are also on the light side.

I use longer ATA bows (34 is my ideal) but the absolute best pulling, smoothest bows I've found and purchased are the Hoyt RX7 Ultra and the Bowtech SS34. Both have the same cam systems in shorter ATA bows. And that 62 pounds is more than enough. I shoot 73 but when the time comes I can't, I would have zero issue going down to 60.

OP
Roughwater
My dad is 76 and went to the carbon stealth a few years ago. It’s light and easy for him to shoot. He shoots it with no stabilizer and 3 fixed pins to keep the weight down. He’s not winning metals but it gets is done at 40yrds
Though the Carbon stealth is several years old it is one of the bows I'm considering plus being used is cheaper too.

OP
Roughwater
I use longer ATA bows (34 is my ideal) but the absolute best pulling, smoothest bows I've found and purchased are the Hoyt RX7 Ultra and the Bowtech SS34. Both have the same cam systems in shorter ATA bows. And that 62 pounds is more than enough. I shoot 73 but when the time comes I can't, I would have zero issue going down to 60.
Lots of folks seem to like the RX7 for sure.

Marble

WKR
My dad is 73 also. If i were to get him a bow, I would take him down to the shop and have him shoot a handfull of them. The weight difference, varying by 1lbs, would not bother him. Compare it to a rifle and his rifles are substantially heavier than a bow. I would look at what feels best to you in your hand, during draw and aiming. Then make your choice. A lot of bows that draw great at 60, do not at 70, and vice versa. Have an open mind and buy what makes you happy.

I can say the new Hoyt bows with the mini vibration reducers really does make the bow nearly silent. It was impressive.

OP
Roughwater
Mach 34 with EC cam would be my vote. Light and great draw cycle. RX7 ultra would be nice as well.
I was just watching a youtube review by Mikes archery for the Mach 34 but with the S2 cam. For sure not the smoothest cam but does have great performance.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,

I am 73 and presently use a PSE Evoke 35" bow. I like it but don't love it. It's a bit long and a bit heavy for me. I'm average height (5'9ish) about 180 and my DL is about 27.5. I'm drawing about 62lbs and it may be all I want though I shoot almost every day and 62 is getting easier and easier. The bow is a 70 LB model.

I'm wondering what Bow other bowhunters might recommend for me? One thing I definitely want in a bow which is that it be light weight. Right now I'm considering a Elite Carbone ERA, a PSE Carbon Mach 34 or maybe the PSE Levitate though I'm concerned about getting a bow with a short brace height because I am not the steadiest shot. I have considered used bows as well like the PSE Carbon Stealth. But again the Stealth has a 6" brace height. The Elite Terrain bow also looked interesting to me as it's only about 4 Lbs. The Bowtech Carbon Ion and Zion looked interesting since they are light as well though some don't like the Grip and some are suspicious of the strength of the riser. Whatever bow I get I won't get high velocity even with a light arrow so I'm going with fairly heavy arrows (victory Xtorsion ss) with 50 gn titanium half certs and 125 gn Iron Will single bevel broadheads, Total weight is 550 gn. Please give me some other light weight options. Thanks in advance.
What species are are you intending to hunt with said bow?

You mentioned you are not the steadiest of shots. I'd be more concerned with shooting an ultra-light bow than with brace height. If you already have a shaky hold, the lighter the bow, the worse your wobbles will be. If you go with a carbon riser, you should consider stabilizing it sufficiently to calm some of the float.

If you are hunting whitetails and smaller at typical treestand ranges, I'd shoot the bow you like the draw cycle and hold of the most, get it in a 60lb limb set, and call it a day.

If you are hunting the West where shots can be longer and the critters bigger, it would change my recommendation.

For the record, at 73, if you are still vertical bowhunting, that makes you a certified badass.

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
My first look would be at the Mach 34 with the Evolve cam. It would be a similar draw cycle to what you are currently shooting and the performance should be great for the draw cycle.

OP
Roughwater
What species are are you intending to hunt with said bow?

You mentioned you are not the steadiest of shots. I'd be more concerned with shooting an ultra-light bow than with brace height. If you already have a shaky hold, the lighter the bow, the worse your wobbles will be. If you go with a carbon riser, you should consider stabilizing it sufficiently to calm some of the float.

If you are hunting whitetails and smaller at typical treestand ranges, I'd shoot the bow you like the draw cycle and hold of the most, get it in a 60lb limb set, and call it a day.

If you are hunting the West where shots can be longer and the critters bigger, it would change my recommendation.

For the record, at 73, if you are still vertical bowhunting, that makes you a certified badass.
Species would be mostly for Elk hunting but maybe some occasional deer or pig too. I have a Montana Combo tag for 23 so working and dieting to get in shape. I've lost 14 lbs and walking every day. I'm about 5'10 and was 199 but now down to 185. I want to get at least down to the 170's but 160's would be even better. Carrying 20lbs+ less every mile and be more fit would be especially helpful in the mountains.

I had thought about the weight and shaking and I really believe a lighter bow would allow me to shake a little less. Trying to hold 5 lbs out in front of me while also holding back the energy of the bow is part of the reason I shake. Very recently I saw a youtube video called" backyard bows" I believe it was and the Bow guy mentioned an exercise he does at the end of his shooting where he draws back his bow will hold the bow up on target for a full 60 seconds then shoots at the target. So I have tried my own version of that. But I could only hold for 30 seconds but I let down instead cause by 30 seconds I am not confident I could even hit somewhere, anywhere on my target. I did go 35 seconds tonight and will continue to increase the duration of the hold as I think it could really help me. I remember back in Boot camp we had to hold our rifles out in front of us palms up and no one wanted to be that first guy who let down and god forbid you actually drop your weapon! But it definitely strengthened us. We were using M14's at the time and they are heavy.
I am gradually getting used to the weight of the bow again and my groups have gradually gotten smaller.
Still, I think I can lift and hold a light bow better in place than a heavy on because the heavier weight makes me shake even more. Fortunately exercise works even for old folks and as much as I would like to think it helps lifting a beer up to my mouth over and over just doesn't seem to help that much?