What do you take to eat for a day hunt?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Day hunt a half mile from the road I’m packing a sandwich and whatever else I’d pack in a lunch box similar to a day at work. No sense in choking down backcountry squirrel food on a quick close hunt.

SouthPaw

WKR
Day hunts I like to make a big breakfast burrito the evening before. Scrambled eggs, venison sausage, spinach, sour cream, avocado, salsa, etc. Hits the spot in the morning after a long hike in the dark. Then snacks for the remainder of the day: cheese, nuts, dried fruit, jerky, duck sticks, perfect bar, etc.

SmotPoker

FNG
I usually bring a sandwich for lunch, 1-2 probars or comparable bars, some dried fruit and nuts, and some sort of candy (snickers, skittles, peanut m&ms etc) for a sugar boost when I'm gassed out. Its only a day hunt, and you'll be back at your truck and cooler in the evening so no need to bring large amounts of food.

Sometimes I'll bring salami, cheese, french bread and make sandwiches on site also.

Jerky, pringles, cashews, meat sticks, water and fruit smiles.

I eat the hell out of those little fruit smiles and fruit leathers. I crave sugar while I am out hunting for some reason. I don't eat any candy at home, so it is rather a weird craving. I could eat 5 pounds of fruit smiles when I am hunting.

Rommel013

FNG
I always find myself with too much food so I've been trying to cut back.

I'm down to just water, some dried fruit, a sandwich and some bars. Jet boil and some coffee stuff in the bag if it is a particularly cold day.

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
Can of Dinty Moore stew, canteen cup, MSR pocket rocket. Dried apricots, apples, trail mix and jerky of some type

dan2173

FNG
trail mix, some twizzlers, granola bars, sliced summer sausage and cheese if the temps are not too high.

BurtonGus

FNG
I must be the only one that takes the little cans of Vienna sausages. I dump out the juice and add hot sauce. And some gummy bears and more water than necessary.

Now I usually have a ham and cheese sandwich and a pocket full of trail mix. I take a quart of gatorade (lightly mixed).

When I was younger my wife would make up a bunch of pasties that I could graze on as I wandered through the jungles.

I remember sitting on a log in a creek bottom, grazing, when there was a shot next to me and a raghorn slid off the hill into the bottom. That was followed by the hunter who I had gone to school with 10 years before. A bit of a shock for both of us.

Even on day hunts, I always bring a backpacking stove with me since I won't make it a full day without at least 3 cups of hot coffee. So, I usually just bring a freeze-dried meal since I'm already boiling water 😂.

Mike76

FNG
peanut buttered filled pretzels, usually a P&J Sandwich, Trail MX consists of nuts, raisins, m&m, dried Banana chips, dried prunes got to keep the poo's regular. change off with protein bars the next day. keep it new. Lots of ALKALINE water w/ Electrolytes.
ALKA65 50oz Bottle. good for a day and if you need an over Nite, it's all you need.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
Usually a sandwich of some sorts, almonds, and plenty of jerky since my buddies always want some too. Also granola bars and candy bars even when it’s hot out. Not pretty when you open the package but still good. Some days I just take the jerky, nuts and water as I usually don’t eat that much especially if I’m getting into animals.