What Hunting Videos Interest You?

I like raw uncut ones where the dialogue isn’t ran through a filter to keep the monetizing. Like “f**k these flies are rough” lol

psp8ball

FNG
The most important aspect to a good hunting show (or any other show for that matter) is to be a good storyteller. Make the viewers feel they are right there with you as much as possible. It becomes more about the story and entertainment value and less about trophy quality. Any innovation; be it drones, type of hunt, animal hunted, different camera shots, etc. will quickly be replicated and the uniqueness will wane. But a good story will keep the viewer interested AND coming back for more. This holds true for vlogs, episodes, or an entire season in 1 episode.

While Steve Rinella's show is different because he cooks some, he is a master storyteller. Same could be said for Western hunter. (Not all stories are told with words)

OP
gabedenzine
I really wish hunting videos would spend more time on the game processing and more importantly, the cooking/eating. Even on shows that have cooking in them, usually don't show them eating and enjoying it.
You should check out "The Seasoned Butcher", they just started a channel focusing on Field To Table.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Anything by Jason Matzinger (Into High Country). If you like lots of adds, screaming/yelling/jumping up/down/backslapping over-celebration of the kill, stupid loud acid-rock/heavy-metal/punk-rock/rap music, or half of the video taken from inside of a truck...then you might not like this guys work.

His work is an absolutely pleasure to watch/listen to. It's very peaceful, relaxing, beautiful cinematography and great storytelling. It's no wonder that he's won a bunch of awards for his work.

EdP

WKR
Some of my favorite shows have been episodes of The Western Hunter with Nate Simmons or Chris Denham and Jason Matzinger's older shows where he was talking the viewer through what he was doing (before they decided they needed all the music).

Don'ts:
Keep it to hunting and leave religion out of it. Don't be a Jeff Danker clone. If I want preaching I'll go to church or put on one of the evangelist shows. That doesn't mean you can't give a silent thanks to your diety of choice, but I'm not putting on a hunting show to hear about your religious beliefs.

I hate loud obnoxious music in a hunting show. We go the the woods to experience nature not to rock and roll. Leave the loud music to the nightclubs.

Do's:
Provide content that will appeal to new hunters and you will always have an audience. In almost all the shows on whitetail hunting I see the scouting has been done and the stand/blind placed. You never see someone scouting out rubs and scrapes or bedding areas. Everything you see or read on whitetail hunting says find where they are bedded and where they are feeding and NEVER shows what to look for to do that. Put together shows of hunters finding the sign, placing a stand, then killing a deer. I think it isn't done because it takes multiple filming trips into the woods instead of being a one and done production. The same applies for pronghorn, elk, etc.

Look at the camera when you are talking to it up close. Look directly and only at the camera. No wagging of the head back and forth looking here and there like something is about to be missed if you look away for a few seconds. Whatever may pop up out there will either still be there after those few seconds or was moving too fast for a shot anyway, so forget about it.

jpmulk

WKR
My favorite videos are probably stalker stickbows with south cox. His high country mule deer videos are really enjoyable to watch. Great video and sound. Learn a few things along the way. But i think what stands out to me is him. I dont know him. But he seems to just be a genuine guy. Loves the hunt, being out there, he ls humble, its not all about killing a trophy. For me that is what makes a video enjoyable, the character and authenticity of the main people in the film.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Just plain, DIY, public land stuff with minimal talking.
No long, dramatic music intros, team whatever, past kills or shout outs.
No long range crap, you CAN get closer.
No gear lists, descriptions or advertisements.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
Film and edit it how you like. You’ll be better at that than anything else and if other people like it they’ll watch. If they don’t you have the memories.

I think there is a niche for post kill content. Gut, quarter, hang, process, cut, wrap, cook.

Everyone has seen big bucks shot.

Foraging for forest food is underserved too.

Wolfshead

FNG
Huntings videos that show how and why they are doing things to be successful.
you can look anywhere to see something being shot. Not really important to me.
I want to know what they’re looking for, why they are choosing to do what they’re doing for the thing they’re looking for.
how and why it makes them successful (or not).
example; “that’s a really big Buck track” - how do you know that? What is it that sets it apart from other tracks?
”That Buck is going to come through here” - how do you know that? What would make the Buck come through here?
Etc….

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I know I`m getting old and I`m sure it`s turning me crotchety , but I find myself really put off by videos of guys laughing like hyenas after they shoot an animal. Don`t get me wrong. One should be happy after a successful hunt, but there`s something irreverent to me about how some of these guys act on video. Like I say, guess I`m just getting old.

Coach Bryant at Alabama said, " Act like you`ve been there before ". That was pertaining to celebrations on the football field but it can apply to lots of things in life.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
I don't like watching any that are " professional" I guess I would say. I will watch videos of guys just hunting for the joy of it, no commercials, no trying to sell you shit. Don't care if they even say anything about their equipment really. Just short videos of hunting, and having fun doing it. Like having a beer at a buddies house and watching what he filmed, far from professional but down to earth hunting.

I really enjoyed how Western Hunter Magazine use to put together stuff with Nate Simmons.
I'm tired of hearing, "like and subscribe".
Be real, great audio, and video.
Relate to the average Joe!

Finn16

WKR
I don't watch a lot of hunting videos but when I do it's most likely high country mule deer or archery elk. The romance of the high country (above timberline) is appealing to me. I really like The Western Hunter and the way Nate Simmons hunts, conveys his feelings and puts together a show.

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I realize I'm a small part of the youtube audience, so my wishes don't represent everyone. As a struggling late onset hunter, I want to learn something that's going to help me. So say something every time you make one of those little instinctual or strategic decisions that lead you to the right spot at the right time.

So many videos are more interested in being entertaining instead of informative. Pretend you have a kid or green apprentice with you that you're mentoring.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Which is funny you say that. My mission statement is basically that I am the average Joe hunter, I just happen to carry a camera with me when I go.
That's what they all say.

Good luck finding your niche ...

(And I mean that sincerely.)

Wolfshead

FNG
I realize I'm a small part of the youtube audience, so my wishes don't represent everyone. As a struggling late onset hunter, I want to learn something that's going to help me. So say something every time you make one of those little instinctual or strategic decisions that lead you to the right spot at the right time.

So many videos are more interested in being entertaining instead of informative. Pretend you have a kid or green apprentice with you that you're mentoring.
I 100% totally agree.
i too am a late onset hunter.
ive had my successes but I continue to try and get better and would like to understand the “little instinctual or strategic decisions that lead you to the right spot at the right time”.

Mtndawger

FNG
Anything by Jason Matzinger (Into High Country). If you like lots of adds, screaming/yelling/jumping up/down/backslapping over-celebration of the kill, stupid loud acid-rock/heavy-metal/punk-rock/rap music, or half of the video taken from inside of a truck...then you might not like this guys work.

His work is an absolutely pleasure to watch/listen to. It's very peaceful, relaxing, beautiful cinematography and great storytelling. It's no wonder that he's won a bunch of awards for his work.
Exactly! Give us a story about something bigger than the kill shot. These animals are so amazing and so well adapted to survive they deserve more respect than your average video gives them. Every hunt has its own character and unique set of circumstances.