What Hunting Videos Interest You?

Yoder

WKR
Public land, DIY is all I watch. Anything with a box blind or feeder I can't turn off quick enough. I like guys like Dan Infalt that explain the how and why of finding a spot. Explaining the setup, wind direction and how you hope the deer/whatever will come in. Animal behavior, what they are eating, bedding locations. I also appreciate it being real. Real conversations with a little salty language, not crazy but just how men usually talk. Showing the comradery with your buddies. I think THP does a pretty good job at this.

Mojave

WKR
Dude there are hundreds if not thousands of people doing it.

The market is saturated, I once asked Hauke Braune (really famous here in Europe) hunting personality about it and was told that there will not be another Boddington or Shockey. Which isn't really true, someone has to be the pinnacle. What I believe he meant by that is that it isn't really worth chasing the concept as a full time dream unless like Hauke you are independently wealthy.

I was told by Hauke and others that the industry is incredibly cut throat. You pimp for Hornady for a few years and then, Hornady decides to go with someone else.

Here in Europe our direction seems to be the pretty face. There are thousands of really beautiful and stylish 20-40 year old women who run social media pages with their hunting. Our hunting clothing fashion for women evolves around very tight bum lifting pants for women. They all have photos on isntagram of them in these overlight tight hunting pants. They saturate the market, there are tons of men doing the same thing. Even some very similar to the Bro-Whitetail culture, where they travel throughout Europe chasing roe deer.

Every hunter in Europe shoots 3-20 times as many animals as you do in America. They generally shoot 3-4 roe bucks a year and 15-30 wildboars, some years they will get a chamois, or a Spanish ibex or a stag. They are not reliant on 1-3 hunts a year for film.

Here are my thoughts.

1. The market is over saturated, do what you can but don't quit your day job. Kind of like lawn care guys in San Diego. Thousands of dudes from Mexico arrive every day ready to work, my buddy came from Australia and sold his lawn care business down there. He was one of the only ones in Oz, immigrated to America and he had to figure something else out. Market is saturated.

Same as America, and everyone of them has their hand out to Beretta, Blaser, Heym, Sauer, Zeiss, Swarovski, Harkila whoever.

2. We have a group called Hunter Brothers on youtube in Germany. They try to do everything behind a paywall. Which helps them take a cut of the money made, without relying on sponsorships. I am not paying for that, and most guys won't. Know your market, try to capitalize on it. I do not know how well they are doing at it, but I can't imagine it is very lucrative at the point they are at.

3. Business is cutthroat. Hauke Braun had $30,000 stolen from him by another famous European hunting personality. The guy walked into Realtree and bluffed his way into getting them to give him Hauke's money. This was fairly common over here. It may not be outright theft, but you cannot count on the business to do the right thing. PR firms, advertising teams, media influencers, all of these are snakes.

4. I love actual no BS product reviews. There is a British guy doing this, he's part of a few other British hunting channels on youtube. Unbiased well written and produced product reviews are awesome. His name is Chris Parkin. Another favorite is USOG's backstory videos. Check him out.

Swamp Fox

WKR
[...]

Coach Bryant at Alabama said, " Act like you`ve been there before ". That was pertaining to celebrations on the football field but it can apply to lots of things in life.
That may have been Vince Lombardi instead ....But --like-- I mean, who really nos all this stuff anyway?

It's often easier to describe what we don't like than what we do like. And as implied in a post above, what we *do* like won't remain unique too long.

Good storytelling and the "why" and in-depth "how-to" definitely seems to be missing from the vast majority of mid-level and greater videos (the ones with the most exposure), both professional and amateur.

Swamp Fox

WKR
[...]

Here in Europe our direction seems to be the pretty face. There are thousands of really beautiful and stylish 20-40 year old women who run social media pages with their hunting. Our hunting clothing fashion for women evolves around very tight bum lifting pants for women. They all have photos on isntagram of them in these overlight tight hunting pants. They saturate the market ...[...]

This post is worthless without pics...

:p

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
used to watch some but got turned off of them. I did like remi warrens solo hunter stuff and into the high country. These days, non of it is of much interest to me.

I'd rather listen to a hunting related podcast.

Billy Molls have a few of the best I’ve ever watched, self filmed to boot

Shadow of death and some sheep hunting ones I can’t think of at this moment.

Mojave

WKR
THLR is another one.

Thanks for liking my post Tom.

His video style is awesome. Especially since he is self-filming everything.

That and he is out there learning from his mistakes on long range, and bringing his former sniper training to use.

I am a former/retired military aircraft mechanic. No one is going to want to watch a video of me working on ejection seats, parachutes and aircraft environmental systems.

Some military jobs have more street cred than others.

gtriple

WKR
Samong Outdoors has by far my favorite film style. The pace of his videos are perfect. And I love feeling like I'm there hunting with him.

View attachment 308581
Looking for ideas from other guys that either watch or make their own videos?

A little bit about us: A group of friends and family that decided to hunt just like you, we just happen to have a camera with us when we go. I personally got into this as a teenager, and after getting an associates degree in Digital Marketing I decided to start up a small business. The business is based on Faith, Brotherhood, and the Outdoors.

Now that we're a few years into this, we've built up a schedule of hunts and trips we have wanted to go on for years. The only downside is that everyone knows the market for hunting videos is saturated. However, our goal isn't to do this for a living, we just want to show that the average joe can go out into the field, and have a successful hunt. We also love the idea of connecting with guys and sharing our faith through our passions in the outdoors.

My question for you is: With all of the content there is out there today, what is something different that you guys would prefer to watch over treestand sitting for whitetails?

I'm using this to gather some intel so I can hopefully impact some more beginner and novice hunters as they get introduced to the same sport we all love. Here's a video link to show past work, and it's only going to get better from here.
For me it's got to be public land DIY. Soon as I hear it's on private I change the channel. I do not enjoy when they film theirsleves talking for large portions of the show. Showing family and things other than the kill shot is always nice

Mojave

WKR
I don't care if it is public land or not.

The competition for tags and BOLs isn't worth the price of admission. If I had the money to spend on it, I'd never hunt public again.

triglet40

FNG
The hunting public. dave owens:pinhoti project is pretty good as well. Like some of the others have said i like watching something that i can learn from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly! Give us a story about something bigger than the kill shot. These animals are so amazing and so well adapted to survive they deserve more respect than your average video gives them. Every hunt has its own character and unique set of circumstances.
Well said my Friend!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
great cinematography and audio quality with some music, not too much talking but do need some, and muted kill shots are better than the graphic... and love to learn something from a film if possible. And we like those that don't blow up units! We've tried to be really careful about that the last 5 years, always feels slimy when the film is blowing up unit numbers. Ive even found that it's possible to leave out the state in a lot of videos (although it'll drive the commenters crazy, but those are fun to delete lol) A little mystery is good for the mind (and draw odds)

I like THP and others that provide the over-the-shoulder perspective of the hunt mixed with un-scripted conversations and humor. I've started watching Clay Hayes channel, and he does a pretty nice job too.

I cannot stand highly produced hunting videos that were edited/narrated in a multi-million dollar editing studio with drone footage and a bunch of content and musical scores for dramatic effect. Give me a group of folks with a camera that show the good, bad, and ugly with minimal editing.

For example, Greg from THP never filled a bow tag in 2023 and spent endless hours in a saddle or stalking while self-filming. The last episode was tough to watch, because lots of guys can relate to coming down to the last hours of the season and not being able to punch a tag. His showing the gear he uses and the additional complexities it creates as well as how it enhances the hunts was pretty cool as well. I can safely say, that i have no interest in ever filming a hunt simply based on all the extra BS gear you have to carry in with you. I have a hard enough time remembering my critical gear.

Oh yeah, and give me folks that aren't spending half the episode advertising. Some off the patreon channels on youtube that leverage this revenue vs. sponsorships put out some good content. The Honest Outlaw is a great channel for non-biased gun reviews and the only way he's able to operate is through patreon support. If folks are sponsored, the content is naturally slanted and less "free" IMO.

TedO

Lil-Rokslider
I've enjoyed the Gritty Films on "Brian Call: Gritty" channel. Great cinematography and a lot of tips and techniques discussed.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I like THP and others that provide the over-the-shoulder perspective of the hunt mixed with un-scripted conversations and humor. I've started watching Clay Hayes channel, and he does a pretty nice job too.

I cannot stand highly produced hunting videos that were edited/narrated in a multi-million dollar editing studio with drone footage and a bunch of content and musical scores for dramatic effect. Give me a group of folks with a camera that show the good, bad, and ugly with minimal editing.

For example, Greg from THP never filled a bow tag in 2023 and spent endless hours in a saddle or stalking while self-filming. The last episode was tough to watch, because lots of guys can relate to coming down to the last hours of the season and not being able to punch a tag. His showing the gear he uses and the additional complexities it creates as well as how it enhances the hunts was pretty cool as well. I can safely say, that i have no interest in ever filming a hunt simply based on all the extra BS gear you have to carry in with you. I have a hard enough time remembering my critical gear.

Oh yeah, and give me folks that aren't spending half the episode advertising. Some off the patreon channels on youtube that leverage this revenue vs. sponsorships put out some good content. The Honest Outlaw is a great channel for non-biased gun reviews and the only way he's able to operate is through patreon support. If folks are sponsored, the content is naturally slanted and less "free" IMO.
I want to give a shout out to Clay Hayes. He's pretty much become my favorite "personality" in the outdoor space. Just a regular dude who hunts self bows and flintlocks, self films, and regularly comes up short. He has a few sponsors but you'd barely even know it. Just a few tags at the beginning and end of his videos. Half the time he hunts in t shirts or old wool flannels. I think my number one turn off is these hunting videos that seem like they were only put at as a means of pimping products and advertising. The commercialization of hunting has always turned me off but even more so these days. I hope Clay keeps doing exactly what he's doing.

Last edited:
I want to give a shout out to Clay Hayes. He's pretty much become my favorite "personality" in the outdoor space. Just a regular dude who hunts self bows and flintlocks, self films, and regularly comes up short. He has a few sponsors but you'd barely even know it. Just a few tags at the beginning and end of his videos. Half the time he hunts in t shirts or old wool flannels. I think my number one turn off is the these hunting videos that seem like they were only put at as a means of pimping products and advertising. The commercialization of hunting has always turned me off but even more so these days. I hope Clay keeps doing exactly what he's doing.
He also won $500k from winning Alone and you'd never know it. Pretty humble dude.