What is a 4000$ elk??

I think it depends on what 4K means for your finances. If it's not a big deal to you and your ok with deviating from Moose to shoot an Elk is say go for it.

Since when did hunting become all about inches? Your going to be hunting a pretty cool area in northern BC, who cares what size of bull you shoot if you choose to or have tho opportunity to. Some of my most memorable hunts I've been on, I have come home empty handed. Enjoy the experience of the hunt, and remember, this is BC, it's big country and nothing is guaranteed.

+1^^ What he said.

I've eaten tag soup on a hunt that cost me more than that, and while that's not a hunt I'll likely ever repeat (cost preventative) I'm not one minute disappointed that I invested the money and time in such a hunt. I had no fewer than 7 bulls 330+ under 100 yards, almost got run over by a herd of cows, had bulls screaming at me under 30 yards, did the best stalk of my life on a bull that turned out to be a raghorn and almost shot him simply because for me the hunt was a success at that point - the hunt, not the kill - because it was more about experience than inches. In the end on the morning of day 7 I shot a bull that we estimated was 310-320 and had a so-so shot on him. While he bedded to die a coyote came along, cut his blood trail and ran him off never to be found by us. (an untimely thunderstorm didn't help with tracking).

In my opinion, which doesn't really matter all that much, if you have a memorable hunt and the pursuit of a bull is all that you have wanted/dreamed it to be, then pull the trigger. After all, the inches on top of the bull won't matter to anyone you share the experience with except those that you probably don't care that much for their opinion anyway.

$4,000 doesn't go very far on a guided elk hunt. If all you have to do is pay an additional $4,000 to kill a good bull, it seems reasonable to me. Usually on a guided hunt there are zero guarantees. How big would the bull have to be, to make you feel good about having him displayed? I would pay $4,000 for a 425 class fair chase bull. I get the antlers, meat and all. No extra gas, lodging, meals. Where's the bull?

Since when did hunting become all about inches?

That question mirrors my thoughts exactly. Big antlers are great, but the experience and the meat are worth more to me. Having a mature bull come in screaming in your face and killing him in god's country might be the experience of a lifetime, one that a guy could relive every time you look at the antlers. Does it matter what the hunt costs or if the antlers were 290" instead of 310"?

It depends on what you've already taken, and how much $$$ you have. I get plenty excited to see elk 270+. If you have the opportunity to take something you desire, and can afford it... I say do it!!!

I think no matter what is said here you will know if the situation becomes reality. How much is this going to cost me (in terms other than the trophy fee) You will already be hunting (experience)
The cool part is you can dry fire for free. The elk lives, you know you could have killed him everybody wins right?
Wrong!
We both know that ain't going to happen. Take a nice bull, pay the man because you may never get back there again.

you should see lots of elk, on your hunt, but if your after 330 or bigger your chances are slim, but it could happen.. Enjoy the hunt it is beauty country..Shoot what you can afford, because it will be a memory that will last forever. JMO

I am in the moment hunter.. I live in the east so I don't see elk other than for 8 days a year... So if a bull gets my heart pumping and I don't second guess it.. I would spend the money in a heart beat. I still stand on any Elk is a good elk if it pleases you... it pleases me.. Trophy's are an opinion and not a standard for each hunter. I had a buddy kill his first cow elk with a bow after 3 years of chasing and his emotion was priceless..

So how does that work? You see a bull, kill it, then buy your tag? Or do you buy a tag up front and if you end up using it pay another 4 grand? Just curious

So how does that work? You see a bull, kill it, then buy your tag? Or do you buy a tag up front and if you end up using it pay another 4 grand? Just curious

He has to buy the tag first. Non-resident tag is $250 for elk. Then if he shoots an elk, the outfitter will want his $4000 bonus which they call a trophy fee. It's collected on any "extra" animals you harvest, and even some collect a trophy fee on your primary animal.

He has to buy the tag first. Non-resident tag is $250 for elk. Then if he shoots an elk, the outfitter will want his $4000 bonus which they call a trophy fee. It's collected on any "extra" animals you harvest, and even some collect a trophy fee on your primary animal.

Yep.. Since posting this thread i looked back over my hunt contract and the Trophy fee for elk is only 2000$.. I could have swore i read it was 4000$ a little while back.. Maybe that was a different outfitter b4 I booked my hunt or something. I think if any good bull that looks good to me comes in and it feels right i will shoot.. And that would be the case weather it was 2000$ or 4000$

Yep.. Since posting this thread i looked back over my hunt contract and the Trophy fee for elk is only 2000$.. I could have swore i read it was 4000$ a little while back.. Maybe that was a different outfitter b4 I booked my hunt or something. I think if any good bull that looks good to me comes in and it feels right i will shoot.. And that would be the case weather it was 2000$ or 4000$

Now you can shoot two!

Here are a few guys that killed both moose and elk at sikanni river in 2013.. Mark at BSC sent these pics to me.

what do you guys think those two elk would score?? i have zero experience judging elk but if i was guessing i woud guess #1 at 245-250 and #2 at like 280-285

Not sure on elk scores, but first moose is around 185-190, and 2nd on is 175-180 range is what i would guess.

Lol I don't even know what a decent score on a moose is. I just want one like 50 inches and good fronts.

Last edited:
Back