What to wear for footwear

kroppr77

FNG
I’ll be hunting in the second half of September this coming year for moose. I’ll be out of bethel doing a drop hunt. What do you recommend for boots? I currently have kenetrek mtn extreme, but was wondering leather vs synthetic. I think they do just alright with water, but they never seem to be super water tight. So I was looking into some of the zamberlans or hanwag.
Also for waders, looking into some of simms. Would you go chest or hip boots?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Simms g3 or g4 waders. Pick a simms boot you like. Keep a few pairs of neoprene socks around for when you don’t want to wear the waders so you can wear the same boots.

Thanks, so you’d just recommend that and no other boots? Makes sense.
I did a LOT of this head scratching. Wound up with Simms g3 waders, Orvis ultra light boots, quality socks, seal skinz and crocs.

The Orvis boots will be my only pair of hunting footwear.

Tried Simms flyweight and g3 boots. G3’s we’re heavy and my foot moved too much. Flyweights lunches pinched my toes.

I’m also need a 13 on one foot and a 12 on the other. 100% flat footed with a narrow heel and winde front.

Fwiw

bmrfish

WKR
Simms g3 or g4 waders. Pick a simms boot you like. Keep a few pairs of neoprene socks around for when you don’t want to wear the waders so you can wear the same boots.

This is what we do too. No other boots but do take crocs for camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw…. Don’t expect the Orvis boots to stay light. They wet out pretty heavy.

But they fit me. Better quality than Simms flyweight. Inferior to G3 boot in terms of quality. They just fit my foot. Laces on the Orvis way short

AKDoc

WKR
Good suggestions by others thus far...I agree 100% with Simm's chest waders. The area you're heading is wet, wet, wet...chest waders are a must. Make sure you also get good wading boots for humping those meat loads over tundra. I've got G-4 waders (still going strong for eight years), but I've finally worn-out my G-4 wading boots, and I'm switching to G-3 boots next year.

A bit different perspective...Given your late season drop hunt dates out of Bethel, I also prefer to have a pair of knee-high insulated rubber boots to wear around our tent camp, as well as when (if) I can actually hunt closely without waders at the drop location that year. I've got LaCrosse Alphaburley 800gm. They're an extra 5.5lbs, but for me they are worth much more than their weight on a late season stationary 14-day drop-hunt out there...putting those on each morning sure beats thawing-out frozen and heavy/wet wading boots. If you can make it work within your wt limit, I doubt you'll regret also bringing the insulated rubber boots.

When on late-season light raft floats where we're moving camp every day or other day, it's waders all the way and Crocs. BTW, if you end up with only wading boots on your hunt, pouring some hot water into your frozen wading boots in the morning will sure help.

OP
kroppr77

kroppr77

FNG
We’ll be in there the last two weeks of season. Our transporter said things start to freeze up towards the end, and I think the hot water is a great idea. I’ve got a bou hunt the following year in ‘23 in the Brooks Range. I’d like something that might cover that also, but if it’s way different I won’t complain if I need two.
Our moose transporter said it wouldn’t be super wet like some people experience, but it depends on the year. I’ll expect the the worst, and hope for the best.

Same as above, I bring waders and rubber boots. But I spend a lot of time in rubber boots during the year and know that I can pack a moose in them without issue. The truth of the matter is that there is a range of what to expect out that way. One group will live in waders and the only dry spot is where they put the tent while another group a few miles away may wear their waders to get off the plane and be high and dry after that. Plan to be the guys surrounded by water. I just bring what I think will cover it all. I have packed moose in waders and xtra tuffs so I'm good with leaving my hiking boots at home. And I don't plan on traveling much further than the tent or a couple hundred yards from the water during moose season.