What's your lightest arrow for hunting?

I would listen to this advice.

My opinion on arrows is to not male it complicated. Simple components, easy to source and fix. I'll spend more of my time improving my shot process and practicing calling.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Definitely learning a ton. I wish I could easily remove my glued in inserts, put heavier ones and call it a day lol. I don't want to mess up an arrow trying to remove the damn things.

I’d shoot them the way they are if they’re built and see how they shoot. If they shoot well use them. There’s also several good 150gr heads out if you want to go that route. IW are great heads and I doubt there is a better penetrating head on the market. If your really wanting to go heavier there’s lots of time between now and hunting season.

If you really want to up your weight then RMS cutthroat 3 blades would be a great 150gr option and are half the cost of IW heads.
Earlier today I posted the arrows for sale. If I sell them I will just put 100 grain inserts and keep my IW 100s. If I don't, I'll post the IWs for sale and I'll buy new ones. Either setup puts me at 350-300 spine arrows so I'll stick to 350s. Thanks again for all of your help

Imo, spending time worrying about a 10% change in arrow weight is really misplaced effort if you're already accepting a really compromised insert system like a half out. Much more performance to gain by figuring out how to get a better insert system and let the weight end up where it may.

Last edited:
I've killed elk with arrows from 420-445 grains. But I'm 70# and 30" draw - so I can get away with more. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. I'd keep the weight down and use a super sharp COC broadhead at that specs for elk. Magnus Black Hornet, Simmons Mako, Method VBS, IW, Day Six etc come to mind.

In my honest opinion even if you bumped up arrow weight 200 grains and shot a 3:1 2b single bevel you most likely wouldn't get through the thick part of the scap or knuckle. It's a crap shoot at a minimum. So there's no point in chasing that goal as that's a small part of the target anyway. Use a sharp broadhead with a decent cutting diameter with a 400-450 grain arrow, tune it perfectly and stop thinking about it.

Hit me up if you need some shafts - I do custom builds, deal some broadheads as a hobby in my spare time and can get you anything you need this time of year.

Last edited:
Imo, spending time worrying about a 10% change in arrow weight is really misplaced effort if you're already accepting with a really compromised insert system like a half out. Much more performance to gain by rather figuring out how to get a better insert system and let the weight end up where it may.
Fair point - how are the new match grade 55 grain half outs/collars? Seem like a better design than most.

How many of you guys use the screw in weights for the back of the inserts?? I do. I have 10, 20 and 50gr weights. Makes it really easy to tweak TAW and still use my 100gr heads.

Imo, spending time worrying about a 10% change in arrow weight is really misplaced effort if you're already accepting with a really compromised insert system like a half out. Much more performance to gain by rather figuring out how to get a better insert system and let the weight end up where it may.
I was considering if I were to get new arrows I can go with those Iron will 109 grain inserts and that way I can keep my current IW single bevel heads. With that setup I can even add their 25 grain impact collar if I needed to.

How many of you guys use the screw in weights for the back of the inserts?? I do. I have 10, 20 and 50gr weights. Makes it really easy to tweak TAW and still use my 100gr heads.
Can you share which ones those are? And are they compatible with the half out inserts that come with the victory rip arrows? Thanks!

Heaviest I have shot an elk with was 411, the other 8 kills were sub 400 gr.

Never had any bounce off. Plenty buried in the dirt behind them.

I played with heavy arrow setups on deer, just wasn't a fan.

The most important part of an arrow is it hitting where it needs to. Once you have good arrow flight, you have solved most of the issues.

I was considering if I were to get new arrows I can go with those Iron will 109 grain inserts and that way I can keep my current IW single bevel heads. With that setup I can even add their 25 grain impact collar if I needed to.
If you're considering a 4mm Iron Will hidden insert (HIT), be aware that those are only compatible with Deep Six heads/points. 5mm HIT's have standard 8-32 threads. The threads on 4mm HIT's have to be downsized to 6-40 to fit inside a 4mm shaft.

If you're considering a 4mm Iron Will hidden insert (HIT), be aware that those are only compatible with Deep Six heads/points. 5mm HIT's have standard 8-32 threads. The threads on 4mm HIT's have to be downsized to 6-40 to fit inside a 4mm shaft.
Yeah I juuuust realized that like 10 minutes ago. I think that is out of the question now for me. I think if I were to get 4mm arrows I would just sell the 55 grain inserts included and buy their 100 grain half outs. They only come in titanium so they're very expensive for a 6 pack. With that said, it probably makes more sense to keep my current setup, sell the 100 grain broadheads I have now and buy some 150s.

With that said, it probably makes more sense to keep my current setup, sell the 100 grain broadheads I have now and buy some 150s.
If you're just wanting to add 50 more grains, putting a weight screw behind the insert would be a lot less hassle and expense than replacing your broadheads. And you could take the screw out if you were to decide that you don't like the extra weight.

If you're just wanting to add 50 more grains, putting a weight screw behind the insert would be a lot less hassle and expense than replacing your broadheads. And you could take the screw out if you were to decide that you don't like the extra weight.
That's what I think I will do. I just ordered some. Thanks man

Thanks for your input. How are you getting to 450 grains? I do feel like if I am going to get new arrows I may as well make them heavier. I am also taking what @nphunter said into consideration that it has to be a well placed shot. It seems like a heavier setup may be more forgiving. I don't quite think I necessarily need to move to 70 lbs. I'm sure it would help but my bad shoulder is accepting 65 lbs. So it sounds like I should just move to either 150 grain heads or at the very minimum 125 in case my shot isn't as pretty as I hope it will be.
I got to 450 using a 26" sirius orion with a 110 gr ethics insert/collar and a 100gr tip. 3 fletch TAC driver vanes as well..

I don't disagree with your logic on poundage and am a firm believer in shooting what's comfortable. I do think that a bit heavier arrow would give you more forgiveness in the shot placement aspects. I think you're on the right track with upping the head weight to give you more TAW and the added benefit of a higher FOC as long as you're spined correctly. Adding an insert/collar helps give you a bit stiffer spine as it is essentially shortening the flexing portion of the arrow.

I got to 450 using a 26" sirius orion with a 110 gr ethics insert/collar and a 100gr tip. 3 fletch TAC driver vanes as well..

I don't disagree with your logic on poundage and am a firm believer in shooting what's comfortable. I do think that a bit heavier arrow would give you more forgiveness in the shot placement aspects. I think you're on the right track with upping the head weight to give you more TAW and the added benefit of a higher FOC as long as you're spined correctly. Adding an insert/collar helps give you a bit stiffer spine as it is essentially shortening the flexing portion of the arrow.
Thank you. For now I ordered the screw in back weights and hopefully that works. It's the only way to avoid the hassle of building a completely new arrow since I have my current 50 grain half-outs glued in already. Either that or sell my 100 grains broadheads and buy new ones at 150 grains. The screw in weights are probably the cheapest option though.

I’m currently shooting a 435g arrow in my 53# recurve….its lighter than my compound arrow.

Key factor; it has a 2 blade BH which turns any arrow into a penetrating monster

No I think he meant the new 55 grain easton half outs. They look pretty damn good
So I'm trying the new easton 4mm this year. My setup will be the 55gr halfout and 125gr field point for general practice; the hunting setup will be a glue-in Evolution broadhead of comparable total weight. I'm normally a 5mm guy and the only reason I'll be trying the 4mm is this glue in option for the Evolutions. The front end components for 4mm arrows are the weak point, IMO.

Back