What’s your rifle weigh?

gtriple

WKR
Curious,I know the popular thing now is a suppressor,I have a 06 fieldcraft I am thinking about cutting down for a suppressor but I know it’s still going to hammer you,maybe cutting and putting a brake on would be a better option.
This gun will get more gun safe time than shooting.I deer hunt 95% of the time.This would be used if I get to elk hunt again some day.
If you are going ultralight, a brake is lighter and reduces recoil more. Personally, I almost never shoot unsuppressed anymore. I can't stand the blast and volume, even with ear protection.

Some nice builds on this thread! I like my Tikkas quite a bit. One is a 6.5 Creedmoor with a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 and the other is a similarly set up .30-06. The 6.5 weighs 8 pounds 7 ounces on the shoulder - including the sling, scope covers, and three rounds. The -06 is three ounces heavier, all told.

They're not featherweights but they're reliable, accurate, and portable. I've got a plan for a T3x Superlite in a McMillan Hunter's Edge stock.

It depends on how much you want to invest in your Kimber. The factory trigger is darn good. The TriggerTech is better, sure, but you hit the law of diminishing returns. On my full custom ultralight, I went with TT. At that point, why not go all out?

For a factory Montana — and certainly a Hunter — I wouldn't go the TT route, as it could be over 10-percent of the purchase price without noticeable improvement. There's a ton of rifles out there with shitty triggers that deserve a TriggerTech, but for the money, I'm not convinced Kimber is one of them.

After shooting my sub 6# 13 oz Fieldcraft 6.5CM with 147 ELD-Ms, it was sure nice to shoot a 8 pound plus 308 (155 grain). Ultralight is overrated, and I have one of the best. Of course, different use cases. Way in the mountains, hiking verticals, I appreciate my little Fieldcraft.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My guides joked as they handed my rifle up to the pilot- "hey you forgot to put the rifle in!" :D

But it was a pleasure to carry and a 400+ yard shot proved it was plenty capable.

NAUxdxi.jpg

YG1QonP.jpg

Blandry

WKR
It depends on how much you want to invest in your Kimber. The factory trigger is darn good. The TriggerTech is better, sure, but you hit the law of diminishing returns. On my full custom ultralight, I went with TT. At that point, why not go all out?

For a factory Montana — and certainly a Hunter — I wouldn't go the TT route, as it could be over 10-percent of the purchase price without noticeable improvement. There's a ton of rifles out there with shitty triggers that deserve a TriggerTech, but for the money, I'm not convinced Kimber is one of them.

I own an adirondack in 308 and mountain ascent in 300 win mag. I've adjusted both triggers down to ~2lbs but they both have creep/pretravel that annoys me. I don't think there's any way to dial it out. I had them down below 2lbs, around the 1lb mark but the creep increased even more. They were both solid at 1lb and survived the drop test, safety worked fine but the creep was bad.

The triggertech is a different animal altogether from what I hear, and doesn't have that sear issue. They say it feels like a 1lb even set to 2lb. Might buy one for the adirondack to see if I like it.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
I think the universe may be trying to tell me something. Got my Seekins Element in yesterday and immediately put on the glass and took it over to the digital scale. It had worked in the morning but when I tried to measure the rifle the batteries were dead. I guess I need to quit being a weight weenie and just go shoot!
🤣

While I still love my Fieldcraft, which killed its 5th sheep a few weeks ago, I wanted to build something that was a bit different. I started at the end of June and expected to have it done by next Spring. Things happened fast.
While I'm waiting on one of the Pre fit barrels, a Benchmark 18" carbon 6.5 CM, the build is complete.
As it sits here, with a Preferred Barrels 16" 338 Fed., it weighs 7 lbs 15 oz. That is with 4 rounds, mag and the suppressor.

Without suppressor or ammo, it is exactly 7 lbs.
IMG_8657.JPG

While I still love my Fieldcraft, which killed its 5th sheep a few weeks ago, I wanted to build something that was a bit different. I started at the end of June and expected to have it done by next Spring. Things happened fast.
While I'm waiting on one of the Pre fit barrels, a Benchmark 18" carbon 6.5 CM, the build is complete.
As it sits here, with a Preferred Barrels 16" 338 Fed., it weighs 7 lbs 15 oz. That is with 4 rounds, mag and the suppressor.

Without suppressor or ammo, it is exactly 7 lbs.
As much as I love traditional mountain rifles, modern chassis guns are hard to beat. The folding stock and ease of attaching to a tripod put them in another league. For mountain hunts especially, I think this is the way to go.

Dang! Because of you, I'm going to paint my HNT26 chassis today. That looks great.

Blandry

WKR
As much as I love traditional mountain rifles, modern chassis guns are hard to beat. The folding stock and ease of attaching to a tripod put them in another league. For mountain hunts especially, I think this is the way to go.

Dang! Because of you, I'm going to paint my HNT26 chassis today. That looks great.

I agree... looking at a weatherby 307 alpine right now.

weatherby 307 alpine
Thats certainly a nice rifle for the price, if the barrel length and twist works for you.
I agree... looking at a weatherby 307 alpine right now.
Certainly a nice rifle at a good price point. Definitely not suppressor friendly with those very long barrels and threads better suited for a .22. A thousand more gets you a carbon barrel in the exact length/twist rate you want and a custom action.

Blandry

WKR
Yeah things I have to consider but the 307 actions are really interesting for my next rifle. I've wanted a 28 nosler since they were introduced. You're right though, the price is stopping me. Too many other options at lower/same price.

You can get a threaded and the twist is perfect. Just watching all their vids today.

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
New 7 PRC build from Manzella Precision here in Montana. Goal was < 9 lb suppressed, and < 8.5lb scoped for a longer range capable rig. My 6.5 CM Kimber Hunter is 6.5lb scoped if I need to go really, really light. I’ve got some breathing room on scope weight if I want to go heavier.

IMG_2330.jpegIMG_2329.jpeg
IMG_2331.jpeg

TheHammer

WKR
Just got done with this one, 7lbs 9.7oz with sling and empty mag.

Attachments

• 72082281622__B321A4E9-E6A5-4AB8-87D2-7B95DE50AECA.jpeg
    72082281622__B321A4E9-E6A5-4AB8-87D2-7B95DE50AECA.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 69

Loper

WKR
Just got done with this one, 7lbs 9.7oz with sling and empty mag.
Is that a Savage 110 Storm? If so, I’ve always thought they were pretty heavy. I’m surprised you were able to get the weight below 8 lbs with a scope. What stock is that? Did the stock remove a significant amount of weight?

TheHammer

WKR
Is that a Savage 110 Storm? If so, I’ve always thought they were pretty heavy. I’m surprised you were able to get the weight below 8 lbs with a scope. What stock is that? Did the stock remove a significant amount of weight?
That one is a pre 2017 lightweight storm. Before the twisted flute bolt and skeletonized action. I have a handful of savages. This one the same rail, rings and scope is 1.7 oz heavier.
Both have steel trigger gaurds, the stainless one was actually .31oz heavier **

Attachments

• IMG_1901.jpeg
    IMG_1901.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1898.jpeg
    IMG_1898.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 37
Here’s my latest entry.

Howa Mini 6.5 grendel cut to 16”: 3lbs 10.4 to 3lbs 4.6oz
Bottom plastic: 1.9oz
Magazine: 1.5oz
Leupold fx-ii fixed 2.5x: 6.5oz
Talley LW lows: 2.2oz
Stocky CF stock, some holes drilled (not worth it) buttpad replaced with foam, sling studs removed: 18.9oz modified to 15.8

Total weight is 5lbs 1.7oz give or take
——— not including ammo ———

Plan to replace magazine with a blind mag bottom metal -0.5oz
Actions screws swap to titanium 😂 -0.25?
Flute Bolt -1oz?
Possibly flute barrel and mill down the action but these probably aren’t worth fooling with -5oz?
Wish I could find a super skeletonized bolt handle
If anyone else has ideas I’m all ears.

37E138C6-6A80-4802-A24B-55050BBB763D.jpeg

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ how many rounds does the magazine hold? the blind magazine? for a 1/2 oz I wouldn't lose several rds of capacity

barrel fluting on a 16" barrel is probably only 2-3 oz tops

can't go any lighter on the scope or bases :D