When do WT antlers drop in your area?

cnelk

WKR
Curious as to when WT start dropping their antlers in different parts of the US or Canada.

Have some started?

Drenalin

WKR
I wouldn't say they've started dropping in East TN yet, but one of the deer our group killed this weekend turned out to be a shed buck. I guess nutrition or testosterone related. Usually doesn't start here until late January, with some holding onto them for much of February.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't know about WT's, but I've seen more mule deer bucks around my house this year with only one antler still attached than I've ever seen. Had four just yesterday........seems really odd.

gabenzeke

WKR
January usually here in Iowa. But some hang on quite a bit longer.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
They start as early as late December, not common and I have seen them still carrying antlers into April, not common either.

The bulk of them shed in February, this is Illinois.

My cousins target buck shed last week, neighbor found one side.

For my portion of northeast MS and across the line into Alabama.... start dropping in late Feb and not uncommon to see bucks with antlers while turkey hunting in mid March. I have game cam pics of a mature Alabama buck with a full rack on like April 20!!

Jethro

WKR
Some will have started already. We have killed deer in PA week after Thanksgiving that had already shed. Some still holding end of March.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Virginia here,

Late december a few will start, I have killed a couple deer in late muzzloader season and start to drag em by the antler and had it pop off in my hand lol

But most will lose them in January with a few more holding on longer etc. into february and such

W MT… Whitetail can start shedding anytime in January. A much smaller percentage of bucks drop early, then more and more will drop by mid- to late- January. I have to clarify, I am talking about the real deer. Not the retard town deer that shed anywhere from Christmas to Memorial Day.

We’ve done well finding a few sets of moose paddles a few years in a row. We’re going to try to find sign of our bulls over the next week or so and there’s always a chance of picking up a WT

Yoder

WKR
In NE PA in varies a lot. I've shot a buck in the beginning of December where the antler pulled off and I've seen some with antlers in March. I would think most would drop by the end of January.

RDO34

FNG
Late February in central Kentucky but have seen some bucks hold onto them into March.

Swamp Fox

WKR
I don't "look for sheds" until after Valentines Day in central and eastern Carolina. YES, you have the occasional pop-off or early find.