Where do you get your daily News?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB

WKR
Found this chart years ago, when I already knew how very different ‘News’ can be, depending on where it comes from. The chart is a great visual, and I find it to be spot on. There’s other charts like it, they look similar.

For me, News is about gathering facts from many sources, to make an informed conclusion. I'm a bit of a news junky.

Some new agencies say they are News, but only give the ½ of the story that echoes what their fans want to hear. It’s intentionally misleading.

Reminds me of the old Paul Harvey “Rest of the Story” report. Only difference is, to the hear the rest of the story, you need to turn the channel.

It wasn’t always like this. There used to be accountability in reporting news, and to enjoy a license to be a news agency. It was called the Fairness Doctrine, it was about truth and fairness in reporting. It was done away with in the late 80’s, the argument was - Free speech. Now, people can say anything, and call it News. So the bottom corner dwellers on the graph were born. Some people get all their news from the those bottom corners, they tend to be angry, misinformed and loyal to those “news’ agencies, who keep reporting what their fans want to hear. Facts have nothing to do with it.
What is also interesting to look at too is which new stories an outlet covers. We used to get the WSJ, USA Today, the SF Chronicle and SJ Mercury News at work. It was amazing not only to see how each outlet covered a given story, but also which stories made front page news between the various outlets. The very liberal local papers often had the national/international stories that made the front page of WSJ and USA Today on page 3, with local/liberal causes on the front page. In that same timeframe CNN had stories #1-3 about Donald Trump regardless of whether something more meaningful was going on in the world.

MattB

WKR
Tucker Calrson is entertainment, not news. The punch line of the lawsuit against him, per Fox's own lawyers, was that a viewer of ordinary intelligence would not conclude certain statements cited as facts by Carlson as actual facts. The judge agreed.

Last edited:
Tucker Calrson is entertainment, not news. The punch line of the lawsuit against him, per Fox's own lawyers, was that a viewer of ordinary intelligence would not conclude certain statements cited as facts by Carlson as actual facts. The judge agreed.
Facts and Carlson’s opinion are two entirely different things for sure. Unfortunately, Carlson and AFR are routinely the only places to find the news that he covers and offers his opinion on. However, outside that courtroom, Agreeing or disagreeing with his opinion is not grounds to declare its value only as entertainment. Unless of course, you have a problem with the facts he covers on his show.

My wife and what my own eyes tell me. What is going on in far away places like Chicago is of zero importance to me.

Okhotnik

WKR
I read the Wall Street Journal every morning. Not necessarily all the articles, just all the headlines and pick one or two articles to read.

They do a good job of reporting the facts without opinions. Although in recent years they have definitely plublished some articles written by liberals pushing an agenda. I hope they swing back to keeping to the facts, not feelings.
I used to subscribed 20 years to Wall Street journal but definitely Neo conned now. maybe 50 per cent reliable now for general news

sub stack and some pod casts

Okhotnik

WKR
Tucker? The guy whose own legal team made the argument in a libel case that no reasonable person would believe a single word he says? That's not news in my book. That's infotainment pole-dancing. (they were successful and the case was dismissed, BTW).

As others have said, I try to sample from both sides of the spectrum. If nothing else, it can be quite entertaining to see the differences!
🤣

Spike elk

WKR
The Daily Wire is my main news source. Some days I ignore the angst of the news and invest that time into places like rokslide.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Tucker Calrson is entertainment, not news.
This is kind of what we have these days. There's "news" that's reported by many outlets, but then we have several media outlets that pick up certain stories that align with their leaning and continue to parrot the narrative that was put forth because "that's the accepted narrative" they want and are demanded to "push", even if it's all lies. If folks hadn't already figured that out on their own before, Covid at least was good for teaching the masses that.

Then you have other media personalities that are like some every day folks that are capable of deductive reasoning and using logic that call those other media outlets and personalities out on their propaganda. Tucker is one of those folks that tackle these stories and outlets to punch holes in their logic, outright lies, the narrative, and the idiocy of what is being reported, in hopes of educating the masses about what is actually going on......and why these "narrative" outlets keep reporting what they do. Which is......."If you keep telling lies long enough, a lot of people actually start to believe them."

It's funny though, because Tucker is very facetious, and those same narrative outlets take it as Gospel in all seriousness and the next day they make a big deal out of what he said........as if he was serious about it.....SMH. This is where those lawsuits came from. Those few people not understanding humor and satire......missing that he was being facetious about certain comments. That just makes it all the funnier, bringing an actual lawsuit about something most folks knew was facetious comments.

But it's actually more than just entertainment.....it's to help educate those that need help is deciphering all the lies and deceptions that are out there. Eventually, the "powers that be" will end up getting him removed because they just can't have all their lies and deceptions constantly exposed for what they are. That's too embarrassing to them, and credibility dwindles. Eventually the sheep will start to take notice and learn to do their own deciphering. And they certainly can't have that. But the reporting of false and misleading news stories always needs a rebuttal. And Tucker provides that rebuttal.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
If I watched the news every day I would be convinced the whole world and everyone in it FD. I watch bits and pieces of it on some youtube channels.

My daily interaction with folks is much more pleasant than what is portrayed by the media!

MattB

WKR
Facts and Carlson’s opinion are two entirely different things for sure. Unfortunately, Carlson and AFR are routinely the only places to find the news that he covers and offers his opinion on. However, outside that courtroom, Agreeing or disagreeing with his opinion is not grounds to declare its value only as entertainment. Unless of course, you have a problem with the facts he covers on his show.
Given his history of referring to falsehoods as "fact", what sources do you use to fact-check statements he makes on his show?

Status
Not open for further replies.