Where to move?

Bama67

FNG
I'm originally from Alabama, moved out west several years ago, first Colorado now I'm in North Idaho.

This place has gotten so expensive, I don't think our kids will ever be able to afford to move out when the time comes.
A starter house that isn't ready to be torn down is over half a million dollars, whats it gonna be in 5 years?

So, if thats the case, I'll just move back to Alabama and adjust my life and where I spend my time.
A man creates his own happiness. So if I have to sell my house and land in Idaho. I'll just buy 50 or so acres back in Alabama, build a pond; fish and deer and turkey hunt like I used to.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with @nubraskan that there is a fair amount of manufacturing here in eastern Nebraska. There’s some opportunities in western Nebraska too. I’m west of Omaha and do automation and electrical work in the grain industry.

Hunting and fishing here isn’t glorious but there is a lot of opportunity that doesn’t involve draws. Between camping and hunting I made 5 trips to the mountains last year and will probably do the same this year.

Our taxes are terrible, but housing is still affordable. I can afford to send my kids to private schools and my wife has been a stay at home mom for the last 9 years. Lots of good people here.

CCooper

WKR
South Dakota- Kristi Noem claims it's the promise land. Bring a coat, seriously though, one of the cheapest places to reside in the nation and the people are salt of the earth.

Last edited:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I've made some suggestions on places to move to. How about a suggestion of places not to move to? Western WA, where I live. It has gotten scary expensive. Some of the highest gas prices in the country, property taxes are unbelievable, and whatever I read about groceries going up 21% in the last 3 years is BS. Whoever made that up does not grocery shop. Ours have gone up 50% at least. But at least I can carry $100 worth of groceries out to my truck in a couple bags without a cart.

If I ever lose my job I am out of here if possible. We could move East and buy a nice place on 40 acres for what we could sell our house for here. Or a nice place on a lake and take up fishing. The cost of living in the West is out of control.

Mish-pop

Lil-Rokslider
I do commend you for wanting children and for your wife to raise them. Not easy in today’s world but very much worth it. There is never a perfect time to have kids so I say get started! It will change your life forever!

Looking at the maps, taxes etc two areas that seem interesting to me with potential for jobs etc would be Sioux Falls South Dakota- still “western” but affordable and lower taxes. The other is the Memphis Tennessee area- would be southern and warmer with the advantages of all the growth and low taxes TN has but still affordable housing.
Sioux Falls here - SD born and raised and great state. The rent (2375) would be similar to what they pay now (little cheaper) to get back into the kind of house they had before. The buying a house price would be more in their budget if they both worked. It would be really tough in and around Sioux Falls to buy and live on one salary. Other places of state not as bad price wise but not the jobs. Idk if Sioux Falls would have the kind of job in his field as I do not know that field. But house would be in town. Acreage prices are still too high as with most other places

sram9102

WKR
Haven't seen it mentioned but IN has a decent manufacturing base and fairly low cost of living, outside of the main metro areas. Hoosier national forest has a solid amount of public land. And there are scattered smaller public tracts around. Whitetail are plentiful, turkeys are plentiful in certain areas, good waterfowl, all sorts of fishing opportunities.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I live in north eastern Washington and recently spent a few months in the TN/GA/NC area. I ended up working with quite a few people from the Muscle Shoals area.

If I didn't have kids I'd have never came back from my TDY. Great people, food and the pace was certainly a nice change. I can't wait to get back down south and work with them again.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
I think you should look at applying to work for Micron in Boise. Then plug mountain Home Idaho into Zillow. 30 minute easy commute. I bet you could knock down 80-120k manufacturing role and get a 3 bed 2 bath house for $320-350. No joke please look into this.

4rcgoat

WKR
Due to the outrageous rise in property prices here my home (real estate) taxes in WY have gone up 250% in three years.
Another few years like this and it will run many of is out of here... and we will become California 2.0.

Imagine if you will: You currently pay $3000 a year in real estate tax and it triples in three years. What does this do to your mortgage payment?

Incredible and criminal all at once...
I hear you,I'm in Sheridan, property taxes have increased my fixed rate mortgage $100 per month this year compared to last. This keeps up I'm selling to the first out of stater who is willing to pay a ridiculous price for a house just to live in a small( not for long) western town. I'm not going to pay a premium to live somewhere it snows for 5-6 months a year.

atmat

WKR
I’m sorry you’re in the position you’re in. It’s tough out there.

Arkansas is beautiful and super cheap, as others have mentioned. Awesome hunting opportunity. But I wouldn’t live there due to summer being unbearable, though.

Virginia and West VA are pretty states and are affordable. Can’t speak to their hunting opportunities.

My biggest advice would be relentless in finding a better-paying job, or take up multiple jobs now before kids to get ahead. I know that’s easier said than done. But it only takes convincing one hiring manager you’re right for the job to unlock significant potential increases in salary.

Now I know how y’all feel when your backyard elk unit gets name-dropped on here. Arkansas sucks, tell all your friends.

For real though, some parts of the state are getting a lot more expensive due to all the Texans moving in after getting priced out of Texas by all the Californians.

Ralphie

WKR
Now I know how y’all feel when your backyard elk unit gets name-dropped on here. Arkansas sucks, tell all your friends.
Exactly. I’ll never understand why people are eager to tell everyone else how great it is where they live. Move somewhere like it and then have to tell the whole world about it. If you like where you live hush your mouth.

Come on over to California - I’m in a “safe city” - you can buy a starter home for 450-550k super affordable, 3-7k in fire insurance, 1.25 property taxes… you can golf all winter and summer, play in the snow or go to the beach … if you only have one life you might as well make it count - hunt Nevada and Utah

I have often said if I couldn't afford to move to WY when I retired (which we did, but expensive and getting worse by the day), I would move to Arkansas. Missouri and Arkansas are very inexpensive and both the Missouri Ozarks and Arkansas have beautiful landscapes, lakes and rivers, but Arkansas takes the cake with natural splender and great trout fishing.

Both have abundant fishing, camping and hunting and both have very liberal hunting seasons.

Groceries, regular supplies/staples and eating out here in WY are 25-50% more than what we were used to in MO. Here locally food and eating out are double what we paid in MO.
The house we had in MO would cost 3x as much here. Of course gas prices are about 30-50% leas there also.

I’m just curious, did you happen to retire and move around 2020-2021, because I haven’t moved in that time but pretty much everything you said about price increases from Missouri-Wyoming, could be said about my life without having moved in that timespan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk