Where would you aim?

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I'm not against neck shots at all, but I would go for where the 4 is, and obviously only with a strong round like a 308 or shotgun slug. If you shoot for the neck right where the leg meets, you are probably going to make a mess of the leg meat anyway. Why not just shoot the lungs at that point? I suppose that one high left dot isn't bad. Ideally take out the spine for an instant drop, but some leeway for error. The lower neck shots look less than ideal to me. The only time I can see those lower dots being a valid tactic is with buckshot, which many people on this forum probably have never tried.

I'm not a fan of shoulder shots, and it appears very few are too. I only see 2 dots that I think are shoulder joint shots that would instantly disable a deer by breaking the shoulder, scapula, and spine. There is a 3rd dot that might count. Again this is a shot only for rather strong rifles and shotgun slugs.

Not a fan of brain shots as a normal tactic, but whatever. They work.

Not sure what is going on with the way far right dot that would maybe puncture the diaphragm and clip a lung or two if lucky. If it was lower it wouldn't be bad for a black bear. I actually had to google deer anatomy for this one. I'm not sure what this guy is hoping to hit there. It's just about the worst possible place it seems you could hit a deer. Probably lethal, but good luck tracking that one if you don't get the diaphragm.

No big surprises on the lung shots. Some tend more for the heart, some tend more away from the meat/bones. No real right or wrong answers.

Myself, I'm a lung/heart shooter. I also favor low, rather than high, and this is doubly true from an elevated stand. I still shoot low from the ground too. This ever so slight quartering away shot is super common for me, and I go just behind the leg bone there. In a picture perfect broadside, I'd go straight up the leg (F11). So for me, in this picture, I'm going G11.

I count 8 that I consider really poor decisions.

Last edited:
With a 308 B4..young deer and I like to eat heart...looks like less than 100 yd shot..should be minimal damage to backstrap and I usually make bbq and jerky from the neck anyways.

Btaylor

WKR
With a bow, J12 unless the deer is real close creating a really steep angle. Then I would move up a couple spots.

Interesting. I'm not against neck shots at all, but I would go for where the 4 is,

The neck shot is highly effective with a bow or a rifle. I've been doing neck/head shots on sub 100yard deer for the last couple years. My last archery kill on a deer was a frontal neck shot. the arrow went from the neck out to the bottom of the stomach liver area.. Deer fell within 25 yards of being shot

That said.. If archery I'd do G or H10. If rifle I'd be at A6, A5, or A4