Which states prohibit or limit field-quartering of big game?

Jethro

WKR
PA regs are vague on the subject. Elk it is stated you can, but provides no guidelines that need to be followed (perhaps hunters that draw tags are provided more specifics). Our bears need to be registered and 99.9% are brought in whole, gutted. But it says can just bring head and hide so I assume field quartering would be ok.

Deer it doesn't say anything either way. I do gutless on my deer and pack out. I pack out the whole head because 1 of our laws is the tag has to be on the ear. I've been thinking of skinning off the head and carrying out the scalp with my tag on it, but haven't done it yet. I'll post up some screen shots when I switch to my phone.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
PA regs are vague on the subject. Elk it is stated you can, but provides no guidelines that need to be followed (perhaps hunters that draw tags are provided more specifics). Our bears need to be registered and 99.9% are brought in whole, gutted. But it says can just bring head and hide so I assume field quartering would be ok.

Deer it doesn't say anything either way. I do gutless on my deer and pack out. I pack out the whole head because 1 of our laws is the tag has to be on the ear. I've been thinking of skinning off the head and carrying out the scalp with my tag on it, but haven't done it yet. I'll post up some screen shots when I switch to my phone.

This is what I found--from this link dated 2021: https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/game-commission-details.aspx?newsid=518

looks like an official game commission press release to me:

"Hunters can quarter or debone a deer in the field. They still must carry out the properly-tagged head for disposal. Hunters who take a buck also have the option to remove individual antlers or a cleaned skull cap of a deer and bring those out of the woods, with their tag attached to those antlers."

I had a LEO in South Dakota insist that if I killed a doe whitetail, I was to pack out the head.

I found that strange.

Ohio requires game to be “checked” via the online portal prior to processing IIRC. So it’s fine to quarter if you have cell service, but if you don’t you are SOL.

I actually plan on bringing this up at the next wildlife meeting. Quartering in the field should be encouraged as a means to reduce CWD spread.

Dougsch28

FNG
Here in NJ they added "unlawful for any person to place, leave, dump or abandon .....Carcass or parts ...along a public right of-way etc." To our Wanton Waste law. Though this technically makes packing out illegal, it was written to stop lazy hunters from dumping carcasses in parking lots after butchering. CO's have discretion and all I have talked to would not write the ticket for packing out a deer or bear. I have not dragged whole deer out of the woods in many years and would enjoy the chance to argue that ticket if needed. However, 99% of hunters still drag here. Packing has never been a part of the hunting culture here. Makes no sense to me and YES there are plenty of places in NJ where big bucks are killed miles from the trail head. D4D23786-9C60-4428-82B7-0D25FDC3881F.jpeg.fd143e0423a116fb2b4b30cfc12f941d.jpeg

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Nebraska's regs state you can't separate into less than bone-in quarters prior to check-in. During rifle season that is done at check stations, other seasons it can be done via phone or website.

Screenshot_20240102_130404_Chrome.jpg