Who can cut down a fluted barrel?

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen a lot of threads about cutting down barrels. I like my Tikka Roughtech, but I want to cut it down to 20” to use my suppressor. I know some who don’t want to do it because of the flutes. Who have you guys used with success? It shoots well and I really don’t want to have to buy a new barrel.

What is it chambered for?

The problem with cutting and threaded fluted barrels is that with the flutes you often are limited to threading it 1/2-28, because the flute depths, trough to trough, don't leave enough metal to actually cut the threads.

So, to answer your question, any good smith can cut it down and thread it, but you will most likely end up having to use an adapter (or a new suppressor mount cap).

RWA13

FNG
I had Class 3 Machining cut down and thread my Tikka Superlite, and he did a really good job. He cut it ~1/2" from the flutes and threaded it 1/2-28, and then I put an Area 419 Hellfire on it. I hope to put a suppressor on it in the future, in which case I'll use one of the Area 419 adapters to do so.

gtriple

WKR
Thunderbeast told me they could cut my superlite fluted barrel down into the fluted area and do a face mount CB brake.
Thunderbeast just did 3 of my rifles. They do an excellent job, especially if you are using their brakes/cans.

I ended up not cutting into the flutes on my Tikka Superlites, but they said they could do it.

I’ve seen a lot of threads about cutting down barrels. I like my Tikka Roughtech, but I want to cut it down to 20” to use my suppressor. I know some who don’t want to do it because of the flutes. Who have you guys used with success? It shoots well and I really don’t want to have to buy a new barrel.
This is a really bad idea, any reputable smith will tell you not to run flutes within the last 1.5-2" of the muzzle. I wouldn't trust a guy who offered to cut through the flutes.
Get a prefit from McGowan and set it up correctly, it'll run you under $400

gtriple

WKR
This is a really bad idea, any reputable smith will tell you not to run flutes within the last 1.5-2" of the muzzle. I wouldn't trust a guy who offered to cut through the flutes.
Get a prefit from McGowan and set it up correctly, it'll run you under $400
Based on what data?

The professionals at Thunderbeast said it was no problem as long as there was enough meat at the base of the flutes for the threads. It might just look funny though.

gtriple

WKR

Search the interwebs. Lot's people have done it with no issues. I went through this same thought process 4 months ago and found that it is not an issue. But ultimately I decided not to cut into the flutes purely for aesthetic reasons.

BUT... you might actually save money by selling your current barrel and buying a prefit barrel.

Wapiti1

WKR
It's one of those interesting things where "it's a bad idea", but no one can tell you why with any concrete info.

The truth is that there is no issue doing it other than it can look a bit weird. If the flute didn't create a thin spot and blow up already, then it isn't going to ever blow up. It's extremely rare for flutes to be deep enough to not clean up from threading anyway. Many of these guys don't bother to measure anything, they just feel it's bad.

Same thing as a "gunsmith" saying you can't drill scope mount holes over the chamber. Really? Seems like TC and Ruger didn't get that memo.

Gunsmiths are a superstitious lot.

Jeremy

mullmann

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have pictures of how their barrels turned out after they were cut down? I have a 30” hart sendero fluted barrel. The barrel only has a couple hundred rounds down it so I don’t want to buy a new barrel yet. It would be nice if I could cut it down to 20”. The barrel measures .830 at 20” and the flutes measure .08 so I have plenty to thread it again.

gtriple

WKR
Does anyone have pictures of how their barrels turned out after they were cut down? I have a 30” hart sendero fluted barrel. The barrel only has a couple hundred rounds down it so I don’t want to buy a new barrel yet. It would be nice if I could cut it down to 20”. The barrel measures .830 at 20” and the flutes measure .08 so I have plenty to thread it again.
Here's one that I'd found previously...

tikka fluted 300wsm resized.jpg

Pulling this back up. I just bought superlight yesterday and am just trying to double/triple check that the cut down into the threads is legit. In search of local smith that will handle it and thinking I may need to show him some existings.

The above Bartlein cut down looks like a heavier barrel than the Tikka SLs...

Anyone else want to chime in with experience in this? I saw "you may be able to sell your barrel and get a prefit for not much difference in price" or something like that. What is a 6.5 CM superlite barrel worth unaltered/never shot??

Thanks for the discussion!

gtriple

WKR
Pulling this back up. I just bought superlight yesterday and am just trying to double/triple check that the cut down into the threads is legit. In search of local smith that will handle it and thinking I may need to show him some existings.

The above Bartlein cut down looks like a heavier barrel than the Tikka SLs...

Anyone else want to chime in with experience in this? I saw "you may be able to sell your barrel and get a prefit for not much difference in price" or something like that. What is a 6.5 CM superlite barrel worth unaltered/never shot??

Thanks for the discussion!
What suppressor are you running on it?

What suppressor are you running on it?
Thats yet one more fun element of this process! No idea yet. Haven't even dug in much yet to that. Is this SilencerCo Harvester Evo worth a crap? I am, again, "trying" to stay light.

gtriple

WKR
Thats yet one more fun element of this process! No idea yet. Haven't even dug in much yet to that. Is this SilencerCo Harvester Evo worth a crap? I am, again, "trying" to stay light.
No experience with it. I only have TBAC suppressors, including an Ultra 5 Gen 2, Ultra 7 Gen 2, and Ultra 9 Gen 1. The Ultra 5 Gen 2 would be my recommendation.

With how narrow the profile of that barrel is, you really don't have enough meat for a full shoulder for a 9/16x24 thread. And I wouldn't use a 1/2 thread for it. So I think the best option would be the TBAC 9/16x24 face-mounted muzzle brake. It allows you to go down to an outside diameter of only 0.565".

I've got two 6.5CM superlites that I cut and threaded in front of the flutes. I wish I'd gone shorter.