Who is moose hunting 2023?

Scottf270

WKR
Oh it could have been better. Lol!!! That picture of the bull in the water is my moose nightmare. I have taken 4 bulls, all on dry land. My luck will run out someday.

Great moose and yes, a great partner is good to have.

AKDoc

WKR
Pictures of bulls in the water...yikes!

It happened to me several years back, and we were very thankful for the z-drag system that we had put together and taken with us...just in case. We were able to get the bull all the way up on the dry shore of the lake for butchering...it was an all day project, but ended well.

I feel for you guys!

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
Pictures of bulls in the water...yikes!

It happened to me several years back, and we were very thankful for the z-drag system that we had put together and taken with us...just in case. We were able to get the bull all the way up on the dry shore of the lake for butchering...it was an all day project, but ended well.

I feel for you guys!
do you prefer a come along or the z-drag system? if you need to use for recovery of course ...

roymunson

WKR
My buddy killed his 9-15 and I killed mine 9-19.

Hidden Alaska Adventures got us on them. not huge densities, but the kind of trip that had enough stories and character to keep my grandkids entertained some day.

58" wide and I couldn't be happier.MOOSE PACKOUT 2.jpgMOOSE RACK 1.jpgBACKSTRAP 1.jpg
MOOSE 1.jpgMOOSE 2.jpg

Attachments

• BACKSTRAP 1.jpg
    BACKSTRAP 1.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 20

z987k

WKR
I went with a buddy this year in 15. We scouted it back in July from the air and settled on the area based on that and that I just didn't want to deal with the logistics of going up north again this year.
I had him shoot as we didn't want or need 2 moose and he hadn't got one yet in AK. Shot it the afternoon of the 2nd day we were out. Got it in bags that day, hiked it to the plane and flew it out the next day. We had planned on being out there 10 days, and were home in our beds again on day 3.
It was really warm, we were in t-shirts the whole time as soon as the sun was up. Our waders were soaked on the inside from sweat. Surprisingly the flies were not too much of a problem. And the few around didn't stick around once the citric acid was down. Even the mosquitos didn't bother us despite the area being a swamp. Never needed the nets or spray.
I never did get a photo of the moose without him standing with it so I'm not going to post it, but it was 51 1/8, 3 brow tines.

AKDoc

WKR
do you prefer a come along or the z-drag system? if you need to use for recovery of course ...
A come along is much easier to set up and use, and the leverage with the handle is a benefit...but it's a relatively heavy rig. On weight restricted flights in/out I bring what I need for a z-drag (sometimes complex z-drag) set-up, which is relatively much lighter. Thankfully it's not something I've had to use for the past several years in the field, but I always remind myself how to tie Prusik knots before going LOL!

Congrats to everyone so far! Man some really great bulls have hit the dirt. Happy for each and every one of you.

@ammonnhonduras I know it takes a while to unwind after the hunt. I'm excited to hear how your float hunt went. I hope it was the adventure you were seeking.

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
701a268172fe906bb01954529212719c.jpg

0ca6fe97f0ddf383cbcf51f78d7ce42d.jpg

Had a great trip to BC. My first moose. 49in wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I would have guessed first. I wanted to say 75" but it sounded ridiculous coming out of my mind! Lol! True monster right there. Chase something else from now on, you won't beat that.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
A come along is much easier to set up and use, and the leverage with the handle is a benefit...but it's a relatively heavy rig. On weight restricted flights in/out I bring what I need for a z-drag (sometimes complex z-drag) set-up, which is relatively much lighter. Thankfully it's not something I've had to use for the past several years in the field, but I always remind myself how to tie Prusik knots before going LOL!
ah ah the prusik part will kill me. done that last time over 13 years ago for white river kayak rescue training. and never thought of this for fly out but you re right z drag will be less lighter than all the things i have with the come along but that can be so handy ...

OP
ammonnhonduras
Congrats to everyone so far! Man some really great bulls have hit the dirt. Happy for each and every one of you.

@ammonnhonduras I know it takes a while to unwind after the hunt. I'm excited to hear how your float hunt went. I hope it was the adventure you were seeking.
Thanks for remembering. Ive been deciding how I want to do the write up. It was the best experience ever and I didnt even bring home a moose.

Thanks for remembering. Ive been deciding how I want to do the write up. It was the best experience ever and I didnt even bring home a moose.

That's how my first trip up there went also. I didn't come home with a moose but I got to be a part of my uncle and father shooting their first moose. 100% still a fulfilling, successful trip for me.

wyosam

WKR
ah ah the prusik part will kill me. done that last time over 13 years ago for white river kayak rescue training. and never thought of this for fly out but you re right z drag will be less lighter than all the things i have with the come along but that can be so handy ...

Years and years carrying a pin kit in a kayak, and a much bigger on on my raft. Used the big one on a pinned raft once. The little kit gets used occasionally on big game though.

You can generate a LOT of pull with a z-drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan7839

FNG
381171890_10130865415446914_8349457382246422268_n.jpg

13 day float trip and we lucked into this one on day 3! A lot of special attention paid to meat care for the next 11 days before we could fly out. This was our first Alaskan trip and definitely not our last!!

We were on the DIY float with Willow Air. Little to no rutting action and the numbers seemed to be way down where we were. A lot of tag soup back in McGrath!

Went completely solo and got this bull on my last day! I’m clearly not the best photographer, but he is an honest 52”. He had enough brows so I dumped him. I couldn’t be happier, the entire experience was definitely life changing. Can’t wait to go back someday and do it again!IMG_0189.jpeg

Went completely solo and got this bull on my last day! I’m clearly not the best photographer, but he is an honest 52”. He had enough brows so I dumped him. I couldn’t be happier, the entire experience was definitely life changing. Can’t wait to go back someday and do it again!View attachment 609527
Impressive!!! Congrats on a great bull!