Who likes their Kifaru 22 magnum?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The 22 Mag is a great day pack. It can also get you out a few night if you pack light and add a few pockets. This is Tanya's pack most of the time. But that little 22 inch frame is a beast. This is me hauling out 198 pound bear.
744042b9c70338846e8ebaf31556f1ba.jpg

Ryan: What size frame are you running that on? A 22 inch?

If so, did you get an additional 22 inch frame specifically for running day packs, and have a larger frame for larger packs?

Yes, 22" in those images. I'm a small guy, so the largest frame that I typically run is a 24". If I had to, I would use a 24" for everything, but I hunt this one specific area 6 months out of the year. This area really thick with vegetation and I do a lot of climbing, so the 22" is just more maneuverable for me. It's not necessary but nice to have two frames. Besides hunting, I also use the larger one for fishing and training.

Last edited:

Dobermann

WKR
Ryan A and Ryan S: Those posts were very useful! Thanks for taking the time to answer ... you've helped me make up my mind. Thanks again.

worx53

WKR
The 22 Mag is a great day pack. It can also get you out a few night if you pack light and add a few pockets. This is Tanya's pack most of the time. But that little 22 inch frame is a beast. This is me hauling out 198 pound bear.
744042b9c70338846e8ebaf31556f1ba.jpg
Imagine that duo coming down the trail at dark...lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

worx53

WKR
I really like my 22 mag but since the woodsman came out, I think that pack is a better option on the 22" frame. The woodsman has the advantage of putting a much bigger load (first load out) because it can be used with the load between the bag and frame and the 22 mag cannot. It still has quick access with center zip, and multiple pockets can still attach.
Thought I'd expand on why I said it didn't work well running the load for me between bag and frame. We've been using contractor bags forever inside the bigger kifaru pack bags and it works awesome keeping the bag clean, and the game bags full of deboned meat slide right in. Using the contractor bag on the 22 mag between the frame and bag was too " slippery" , flopping all around and had to do some creative cord tying. The " hot" setup in hindsight is to put a kifaru meat bag or similar material type bag so it cinches down better. With that said the 22 mag is my most used pack.

The " hot" setup in hindsight is to put a kifaru meat bag or similar material type bag so it cinches down better. With that said the 22 mag is my most used pack.

I've done this with the hanging meat bag and it still flopped around a bit, i like hauling weight in the main bag, much better than a meat shelf or hanging between the 22mag and frame, the hanging meat bag is awesome , i just use it inside the MW and its the best way I've found yet,, other than the cargo net and hanging meat bag on frame only, that works very good as well.....