• No reason

Votes: 50 22.4%
  • Scared of blood

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a small kit in my pack it includes 2 pairs of gloves. One shoulder length set, one latex set. The shoulder ones double as bags for organs if I’m hunting whitetail.

I use it mainly to keep clean.
I don’t mind getting bloody but if I can keep clean I prefer.

jp08ee

FNG
I keep some in my kill kit mainly to try and keep a little cleaner and it help to hold my knife also. The knife I use can get a little slick with all the blood. Just helps a bit.

I carry a couple pairs in my pac to keep clean.
Not the end of the world if I don't have them.

On a side note: one friend and one acquaintance have contracted tularemia from skinning animals while not wearing gloves, one was a muskrat not sure on the acquaintace, but he was/is trapper as well.

NB7

WKR
My argument for wearing gloves, especially when dealing with brown bears.

gDqbKPq.jpg
Interesting, can you explain further?

CB4

WKR
I wear them during shotgun season in IA when we kill anywhere from 5-10 a day. I am also allergic to deer dander. It is worse when I have scrapes on my hands or wrists. However elk or any other animal dander I am fine.

JayTwig

FNG
I wear mechanic grade nitrile. I never wore them for years and a buddy let me borrow some once and I was a believer. Made for easy hand cleanup afterwards and nice not to find the residual that you missed
I wear something similar to just ease cleanup up and the thicket glove doesn’t rip as easy.

NB7

WKR
I wear them, but no big deal if I don't happen to have any for some reason.
Best thing I like about them when skinning and butchering, is while working around or removing tarsal glands, I can swap out for a fresh pair and keep the funk off anything after that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm a nail-biter, and I don't even realize when I'm biting them. So ya, I wear thick latex gloves. It's easier to keep a good grip on bloody knives too. When I'm done I remove them inside out and put them inside a gal ziplock with any used Havalon blades as well and haul them out to the trash. Everything is nice and clean and no cleanup needed except for the knives.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
I wear shoulder length plastic and latex over hands. Primarily for sanitary purposes. Also easier when done gutting to pull gloves off, wrap tools in them along with the tenderloin.

Interesting, can you explain further?
That picture was taken probably a month after a small cut on my thumb got infected after dealing with a brown bear. It was quite the ordeal and in the end, my own Dr. Googling was what led to finally getting the infection cleared up. At some point I'll start a thread in the bear forum as a cautionary tale for others. I am lucky I didn't lose my thumb, and only have a slight amount of permanent damage.

Reactions: NB7

Hang18

FNG
I like nitrile gloves just so I don’t have to waste water with cleanup afterwards.

Also a little trick, if you’re dressing out an animal and it’s super cold and windy out, wear thin glove liners under the nitrile gloves and your hands won’t freeze when wet with blood. It helps you keep dexterity which can become a safety issue with sharp knives.
Great idea; thin liners. Never occured to me. Learn something new every day. Thx

I always wear surgical gloves when field dressing an animal. There isn’t a valid reason not to. The reason to do it is mainly, cleanliness once done. There is a minimal clean up effort required afterwards. I keep a single use wipe in my field kit I use to clean up the blood off my upper arms above the gloves and that’s all that’s required afterwards. Then I’ll use that wipe to wipe down my knife. I’ll then take the gloves off inside out over the wipe and it’s all contained with the contaminant on the inside of the gloves. For safe measure I throw it and the trash in a zip lock bag and off I go.

Second reason for gloves would be for minimizing infection if you were to cut your hands.

For as little added weight that it counts against you, no reason not to in my book.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I like the dexterity and precision of not wearing gloves. Sandwiches and snacks taste best on the pack out with blood caked hands. I do not understand how some people get so much blood on their clothes though.

I like the dexterity and precision of not wearing gloves. Sandwiches and snacks taste best on the pack out with blood caked hands. I do not understand how some people get so much blood on their clothes though.
Dexterity and precision is impaired by a 4 mil exam glove? I'll have to tell my surgeon.

*zap*

WKR
if I have a pair in my possession there is no reason to not use them whatsoever. If I do not have a pair there is no need to go and get a pair unless they are very close by.

Wear them a lot for work, started using them for game. Nice to be able to take them off and have clean hands. Some make pretty good fire starter so I carry quite a few.