• Yes reason

Votes: 173 77.6%
  • No reason

Votes: 50 22.4%
  • Scared of blood

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I find this thread enlightening. Whether you wear gloves or not is your choice- I don't care. However I am fascinated by the number that write about all the blood and hair let alone stink on their meat. Cuts : use a knife with a blade that is 3 inches or less. It allows you to know what and where you are cutting at all times. Hair: A little parachord to pull the hide back can save you most of this. I cut everthing from the inside. The most that is exposed to your blade is about an inch where you start. I rarely have any hair on anything.

Blood: May I suggest a close look at the anatomy of the animal you are cutting up. I rarely get much blood on my hands. I don't cut the pelvis or rib cage until the animal is skinned completely except when I quarter them for packing. A reciprocating saw cuts quickly and you can keep the hair out of the way. There should be minimal blood in the carcass by then.

I'm guessing my skills come from years of trapping in the 70s. You learn a lot from skinning beavers and cats. I have killed and processed nearly 200 elk and deer and other the first one or two, things haven't changed.

I'm really not sure how you get blood while processing. I cut mine up on the kitchen table and rarely have any blood anywhere. Smell? Not that I know of and my wife could located pheasants with her nose.

I must have rare animals here. Just thoughts for you to ponder.

Adam5757

FNG
I do not wear gloves. Ive always had a strange thing of feeling the connection with the animals I've taken by bare hands in them.

I have been wearing rubber gloves too work on cars professionally for 20 years. I remember the first guy I saw wearing gloves in the shop I was working in. Everybody called him a sissy....well now days almost ever dealership supplies gloves for their techs.

I wear gloves when gutting or quartering game meat. Question would be why wouldn't I?

Save weight?...
So I'm not called a sissy?
Let it be known I'm a tough guy?

There can be benefits to wearing gloves....what's the benefits of not wearing them?

I’m actually surprised to see so many guys wearing gloves. I have used em for ten years or so now. Not afraid of getting a bug. Just nice to peel them off and be clean especially if you’re a couple days from washing up. Trapped for many years and never wore gloves. Many many cuts and never got sick. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ManBun

FNG
I didn’t start using gloves until the last few years. Now I always use them since it’s nice not having to clean your hands with your drinking water if your not next to a creek.

i see lots of people wearing rubber gloves in pictures of animals being cleaned what’s up with that !
CWD ?
no water ?
I personally don’t carry any latex gloves and never have anywhere
I didn’t start using them until about 5 years ago when I watched an older gentleman use them. Was the first I ever saw do it. It never crossed my mind and I felt like an idiot. Lol it’s so nice to pull those gloves off and not have dried blood all over my hands to worry about getting off.