Why cant people accept the fact that some people dont need a drop tested scope?

BjornF16

WKR
Nobody ever answered the question presented above a few posts......why do a random number of internet folks care what someone they've never met and never will meet, is hunting with, whether it's scope, rifle, cartridge, clothing, etc? Baffling to me how/why people waste time doing so.
No one really cares unless they come here touting how great their scope has been, then the questions start.

No one is seeking out the fudds if they’re quiet.

Is this forum meant to be an exchange of ideas and educating platform?…or merely a marketing forum touting how great their crappy brand x is?

sndmn11

WKR
That goes both ways! I scratch my head a lot reading folks tout drop testing. Some folks will type out their rifle scope inventory and harp on non-believers, while simultaneously demanding scopes they own be tested by others.

The recent Maven thread is a good example of verbal tribalism; "my scope arrived, love it, when is someone else going to drop test it?". I've only seen any sort of testing of any scopes by @Formidilosus , @Juan_ID, and maybe @mxgsfmdpx . I still don't know how to meme, so if I can figure out how to test, video, photo, and post multiple scopes being tested, there should be dozens of people here taking that same action.

eric1115

WKR
I've noticed that a lot of the fights start when someone starts a thread asking for scope recommendations.

The OP has never really thought about zero retention, drop tests, etc but has read tons of articles/reviews about glass clarity, tube sizes, and turret feel.

The "my scope has always worked because I've always hit the deer I was aiming at" crowd starts recommending their scopes, and the "my scope works because I can do zero checks before and after I drop the rifle off the deck" crowd starts responding with questions about the what really matters in an aiming device.

For the record, my frustration level has gone way down as I replace more of my Type I scopes with Type II scopes (regardless of whether they got dropped or not). The key thing that I think a lot of guys miss is that the drop test is highly predictive of whether a scope will exhibit the small unexplained adjustments that need to get made before each season (that we expect will somehow last through the season until it gets re-checked next season).

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
Probably depends on your intended use. If you mainly hunt whitetails, hike across the field a few hundred yards to sit in a stand, and most shots are within 300 yards, maybe not. You can re-zero or grab another rifle if you think you have an issue pretty easy. Or maybe if you just hunt close to home and many days afield during the season it isn't a huge deal if you have some sort of failure.

My two hunts this year. Flew about 4000 miles to Alaska and hiked 50 plus miles around the tundra, Next, drove 4000 miles round trip to Montana and hiked several miles into the mountains. Thousands in tags, fuel, gear, and success comes down to few seconds and maybe one shot, I want something proven to work..

Do a lot of people drop their rifles when out hunting? I've been hunting the coastal mountains of Kalifornia for 55 years and can't remember dropping my rifle.
I took a heck of a spill in the Mallard Larkins in Idaho that sent my rifle clattering down the rocks. Fortunately, it was on the pack out. Zero was 3.5” right and 1” high when I checked it the next week.

Normally I can keep my rifle from hitting the deck. Not always.

Last edited:

Kurts86

WKR
Do a lot of people drop their rifles when out hunting? I've been hunting the coastal mountains of Kalifornia for 55 years and can't remember dropping my rifle.
Yes, I once dropped my rifle on the scope on a dead flat antelope hunt and it knocked the zero off 12 moa. It was a lightweight bushnell a decade before I had seen a drop test and it was just considered scope business as usual.

I also once slid down an avalanche shoot during a Colorado muzzleloader hunt and knocked the rear sight nearly out of the dovetail.

The drop test serves as an accelerated wear test the same way a salt water chamber accelerates years of corrosion. Any quality manufacturer is doing accelerated wear a life cycle tests to validate their design and the quality of their manufacturing processes.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
How often do you check zero? How often is it off by ½" to 1" for no explainable reason?
I check zero at the beginning of every season and also shoot my hunting rifle a couple times during the summer. Hasn't changed zero yet. I'm the budget guy for the most part, In the old days it was Weaver fixed power's , then Nikon until they went belly up, now Leuplod.

Last edited:

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I've tipped mine over off a tree or my truck multiple times. I've never flat out dropped it.
The new Leupold thread got me thinking. A person says their Leupold works fine for their purpose and someone else just cant let it go. Why?
Because Leupold is that pretty red head girl my Uncle warned me about. She does things for you no one else does, but she's gonna break your heart.

BjornF16

WKR
What do you mean by “testing it”? I think that’s some people’s point. If it’s been hunted hard for multiple years, does that not count as “testing”?
Not really…testing infers put to limits in controlled environment; for instance establishing a solid 100 yd zero, dropping and checking zero. That is different from field use.

Field use has other variables for why I missed, or in the case of closer range shots, hard to miss.

The corollary question is: Why do so many people get upset because some are testing and asking for more reliable scopes?

For years I shot a Bushnell scope chief of some version. The last one with a bullet drop compensator, had a slight adjustment each year that got a lot bigger after 5-6 years. Finally it got big enough that I sent it in. When I got it back, it was worse than when I sent it in.

At that point I upgraded to a lowgrade leupold as it was affordable. It also had minor adjustments each year but consistantly killed game.

I upgraded to a vx-2 to get a fine duplex - twice with new rifles. They met my needs for 20+ years until one got out of hand and I lost faith in it. The other three are still very consistant and don't miss. I just got a new one as an upgrade and went to a coarser duplex as I am older. What I was comfortable with for years as a fixed 4x now I find my comfort level between 5 - 6. I removed the zoom handle as I rarely have time to make any changes due to my close order contacts.

I got the long distance (500-600 yd) adjustment for winter entertainment on coyotes in my north field during the winter but it is unlikely I will ever encounter a need during my regular season. I have been accused of needing a bayonet on my rifle.

I am anticipating that each year there will be minor adjustments just like always. I'm used to working with transits and they don't like impacts either.

I'm guessing I'm closer to the norm than the competition snipers.

BjornF16

WKR
That goes both ways! I scratch my head a lot reading folks tout drop testing. Some folks will type out their rifle scope inventory and harp on non-believers, while simultaneously demanding scopes they own be tested by others.

The recent Maven thread is a good example of verbal tribalism; "my scope arrived, love it, when is someone else going to drop test it?". I've only seen any sort of testing of any scopes by @Formidilosus , @Juan_ID, and maybe @mxgsfmdpx . I still don't know how to meme, so if I can figure out how to test, video, photo, and post multiple scopes being tested, there should be dozens of people here taking that same action.
How do you know whether or not:
1. I have contributed $ to the testing?
2. I have sent scopes in to Ryan and Form?

I’d say you assume too much…🤔

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not really…testing infers put to limits in controlled environment; for instance establishing a solid 100 yd zero, dropping and checking zero. That is different from field use.

Field use has other variables for why I missed, or in the case of closer range shots, hard to miss.

The corollary question is: Why do so many people get upset because some are testing and asking for more reliable scopes?
I think because most thread replies immediately turn it into “yeah but was it dropped”.

To answer your question, aren’t we all trying to find a scope reliable in field use? If it passes multiple years, multiple hunts per year, plus range trips, (the dreaded drive down washboards), etc, what they hell else could you possibly want?

That being said, I don’t see a negative to the drop test. I just don’t think it’s the end all be all the rokslide sheep think it is. I bought a maven because it passed the drop test and has multiple positive reviews because I needed another scope. The drop test is just another tool we can use to determine what scope we want, but it’s annoying when the same group of people CONSTANTLY use it as the only determining factor.

BjornF16

WKR
Here’s an idea-keep it on topic, and not make it like countless other threads arguing this same topic.

Like mentioned above-I don’t see an answer the OP’s question.
I think I answered…perhaps you don’t like my answer?

OP
MuleyFever

I don't see this happening. I see people frustrated when they are told that the scope they have been using just fine needs to be dropped. They have a scope that meets their needs and they are told that's not good enough by someone else.