The internet has broken the boundaries between upper/mid/lower class.

I figured this was the place to post this as it’s very random but a thought that came to me..

The internet has broken the boundaries between the classes.

What the hell am I talking about? I’ll use Rokslide and it’s users as an example.

Well, before the internet, people that hunted with Mossberg, Remington, and Savage rifles, usually interacted with and “hung out” with people who did the same. They lived in the same area, worked together, and likely made the same ballpark income. Certain exceptions of course, but bear with me here.

If you were in this class, let’s call it lower or middle-class, the things you “wanted” and sought after were the things your friends or acquaintances had or used. The people driving Cadillac or fancy European vehicles likely didn’t hang out with the guys driving Dodge, Chevy, or Ford trucks. Again, always certain exceptions, and maybe you saw that shiny new luxury shotgun at a local store, but nobody you knew had one and you understood it was a fairy tale.

Insert the internet. Now, if you took an income poll on Rokslide for example, I bet there are people who make under 40k a year on here, and likely people who make over 500k a year. And these two groups of people share thoughts, pictures, and stories every single day.

Now, the Mossberg Rifle and basic Leupold user is being told the only way to be successful is to follow Rokslide drop tests for their optic and they need to save up and shell out $1,000 or more for their optic, plus at minimum they need to have a tikka! Or even put it on a Credit Card. (I’m not knocking this opinion, just using it for context) 30 years ago their entire hunting gear cabinet may have been worth $350, and they were likely very successful.

Now take the Rokslide example and apply it to every single thing ever. Cars, trucks, watches, knives, houses, jobs, whatever. There’s a forum or subreddit for everything.

…and people genuinely “him” and “haw” about why anxiety and depression is as high as it is.

I’ve fallen victim to this myself of course in the past, and I wonder how it may be affecting people who aren’t even as fortunate as myself.

I think this has benefits also, as co-mingling between “classes” likely has lifted up a lot of people too. Discussing things like how people got successful, and tricks and tips they learned along the way would definitely help someone find their way out of the lower class.

I don’t think there’s any way to fix the negatives of it, this is just an interesting thought that popped into my head this evening.

Anyone else here fall victim to this? Is this basically FOMO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
I see it more as people who are suggestible/influenceable and those who aren’t. Lots of us don’t identify “needs” by letting random people on the internet tell us about the next greatest things we can’t possibly be successful without, but rather identify needs and then use the internet to research options.

Some people who fall into the former category can easily afford to chase fairies, some have to work hard and save to be able to chase them, and some can’t afford to but still do.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the internet has driven the formation of what I think of as a form of tribalism, and it has both great & terrible implications. In the past, someone hunting / shooting obsessed could only judge the extent and level of normality (or lack thereof) of an obsession by comparing themselves to their group of friends, acquaintances & family. The internet has reduced or eliminated barriers to finding people with similar interests. So now they are able to discuss their unending drive to backpack hunt (or whatever) with a group of likeminded people. And that can be great.

But it can also create an echo-chamber where people convince themselves that their worldview is "right" and all the nonbelievers are "wrong". In the past, someone who had a niche or extreme idea would sit at home and ponder it, wondering if anyone else felt the same way. Now they jump on line and discuss it with others who sympathise and reinforce their beliefs. Whatever a person is into, there is an online community there to support them, and they may never communicate outside of that group to any significant extent once they have joined it.

I've met snobs and standouts of every socioeconomic class and it existed well before the internet. The internet has simply given us a further reach in society than we once readily had. But people are stil people. The internet hasn't changed that.

Edit to add, perhaps what the internet has done in helping us to expand our reach into society is it has allowed us to coalesce too readily with others along our pre-established dividing lines. Pre-internet, if you lived in a way to narrowly divide yourselves from others, one either learned to be relatively self-isolated, or to broaden self-definition enough to become established with a group. Now, one can be in a relatively narrow self-divided group, but through the magic of the internet, find membership in greater numbers.

In my opinion, the state of our current issues in society, often falls in how we seperate ourselves from others. We spend far too much time drawing dividing lines between others, focusing on how we are different.

Were we to focus more on where we are similar and have commonalities to discover shared goals, the objective changes. No longer are we trying to pull apart from others, but rather, trying to pull together. And if we are really fortunate, we begin to pull together in the same direction.

Many ways to do this and many facets to difficult situations with a healthy dose of idealism thrown in, I'll confess.

But bonding tribes into coalitions under shared goals is a far more effective strategy than waging campaigns as solo entities.

Last edited:

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
My wife broke the boundary for me between what we'll call lower middle and upper middle class. She helped me see that there's more out there that I can shoot for than a career with retirement, social security, and a 30 year mortgage.

Rokslide on the other hand is a completely different journey. I joined 3 or so years ago because that top of the line Stone Glacier pack that's normally like $800 new is listed for only $500! (Wife: why do you need to spend $500 on a backpack?!)

I also had a newly purchased VX Freedom CDS scope that I was thrilled with, and still have. But last year I upgraded my other rifle scope to Trijicon Credo HX after tracking and re-zeroing issues and am looking to get another one in the next year or so.

I'm still not sold on the custom rifle thing. My Ruger No. 1's feel mighty fancy, and if a factory rifle bolt gun can shoot sub-moa and has a semi-smooth action, I'm not sure what the other $2000 or 3000 gets you.

So I've been cultured somewhat being a member here but still fall somewhere between Walmart and Sitka.

Yoder

WKR
I thought everyone on Rokslide made $500k/year. The amount of money people here spend on gear, hunts and vehicles completely blows my mind. One thread was about your favorite jacket. Guys had three different Sitka jackets. One for each temperature range of the hunting season. $2k scopes, a new $2k bow every year, $80k trucks, hunting in Uzbekistan. It's like hunting with the Kardashians. It's amazing that this many people have this much money to hunt. By the way, good for all of you. You earned it.

There are a lot of people on the internet up to their eyeballs in debt because of their "you only live once attitude" and them putting their hunting plans before their family's security.

But that's ok. If we are breaking down socioeconomical barriers, then I guess we are all equally rich to have the same opportunities regardless of the cost.

In my opinion, the state of our current issues in society, often falls in how we seperate ourselves from others. We spend far too much time drawing dividing lines between others, focusing on how we are different.
I actually think this is a really good thing about it. You used to wonder who the stupid people were & now they just proudly broadcast their insanity for the whole world to see. It makes it so much easier to identify the people that I will not waste my time communicating or spending time with. For example, just look at all the so called "experts" & institutions that torched their credibility over the past few years.

I actually think this is a really good thing about it. You used to wonder who the stupid people were & now they just proudly broadcast their insanity for the whole world to see. It makes it so much easier to identify the people that I will not waste my time communicating or spending time with. For example, just look at all the so called "experts" & institutions that torched their credibility over the past few years.

I certainly see your point and confess times I understand your sentiment. But, serious question, when those same entities are part of society and the issues at hand, how does refusal to communicate and unwillingness to find common ground allow for solutions? Maybe, solutions can't be had, I realize, and perhaps I'm too hopeful, but failure to try would, to me, feel irresponsible.

I genuinely mean no disrespect. I see other statements of the same and it feels like throwing in the towel instead of pressing forward in storms. I have a difficult time wrapping my head around it.

Jethro

WKR
I've never given another poster's socioeconomic status any thought (until now). People as a whole spend lots of money on what they love to do the most. So I would expect people who are on Rok to spend money on hunting. I'm more interested in how much real life hunting experience other posters have.

The drop tests have shown that relatively cheap scope that most have never heard about is better than 95% of the field.
Tikka’s have increased in price in the last couple years, before that they were cheap $500-600. I wish I would have bought about a dozen back then.
Clothes is kinda of hit and miss. You really don’t need much but people like buying stuff. There have always been recommendations wrangler pants and Costco puffys.
Packs is one of those areas that are usually received higher priced recommendations. If you buy one quality pack, it’ll more than likely last your entire life. But there are a lot of people who want the newest frame, the newest bag, etc. I do not understand why guys have six different Kifaru packs but it’s their money.
Optics. Yeah, you got me there. They’re just expensive.
I think if you look at it as you need all the stuff before you go hunting, yes your credit card is going to get a work out that year. You can get a lot of good deals on used clothing, optics, camping gear, in the classifieds.

One of the most important things I’ve heard on Rokslide is, buy tags not stuff.

Sherman

WKR
I figured this was the place to post this as it’s very random but a thought that came to me..

The internet has broken the boundaries between the classes.

What the hell am I talking about? I’ll use Rokslide and it’s users as an example.

Well, before the internet, people that hunted with Mossberg, Remington, and Savage rifles, usually interacted with and “hung out” with people who did the same. They lived in the same area, worked together, and likely made the same ballpark income. Certain exceptions of course, but bear with me here.

If you were in this class, let’s call it lower or middle-class, the things you “wanted” and sought after were the things your friends or acquaintances had or used. The people driving Cadillac or fancy European vehicles likely didn’t hang out with the guys driving Dodge, Chevy, or Ford trucks. Again, always certain exceptions, and maybe you saw that shiny new luxury shotgun at a local store, but nobody you knew had one and you understood it was a fairy tale.

Insert the internet. Now, if you took an income poll on Rokslide for example, I bet there are people who make under 40k a year on here, and likely people who make over 500k a year. And these two groups of people share thoughts, pictures, and stories every single day.

Now, the Mossberg Rifle and basic Leupold user is being told the only way to be successful is to follow Rokslide drop tests for their optic and they need to save up and shell out $1,000 or more for their optic, plus at minimum they need to have a tikka! Or even put it on a Credit Card. (I’m not knocking this opinion, just using it for context) 30 years ago their entire hunting gear cabinet may have been worth $350, and they were likely very successful.

Now take the Rokslide example and apply it to every single thing ever. Cars, trucks, watches, knives, houses, jobs, whatever. There’s a forum or subreddit for everything.

…and people genuinely “him” and “haw” about why anxiety and depression is as high as it is.

I’ve fallen victim to this myself of course in the past, and I wonder how it may be affecting people who aren’t even as fortunate as myself.

I think this has benefits also, as co-mingling between “classes” likely has lifted up a lot of people too. Discussing things like how people got successful, and tricks and tips they learned along the way would definitely help someone find their way out of the lower class.

I don’t think there’s any way to fix the negatives of it, this is just an interesting thought that popped into my head this evening.

Anyone else here fall victim to this? Is this basically FOMO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bro, it’s Monday morning.

I have friends from every socioeconomic group there is. I like people who I can trust.
Me as well. First I’m 60 so qualified to remember life before the internet. I get along with many different economic classes. I have lived long term in over four different US regions in three different careers not including being a student. Different regions have their own traditions but hunting has always brought the economic classes together to some extent. Prior to the internet everyone in all those different places shot
Remingtons, Winchesters or Marlins. Scopes were Lueys, Bushies and weavers best I can recall.

As far as gear I spend what I want on what I think will satisfy me and works for me. I have earned that. I recognize others may not have that ability or desire and that much of the less expensive gear will work great. I never look down my nose or told anyone else they needed the very best gear to be successful. And I don't spend time with people who would.

If asked for my opinion on what someone should buy I provide a few options and different price levels.
That said if someone asks me about which rangefinder they should buy with a $100 budget I might tell them to save up some more and buy a quality used one. I would never tell a young guy starting out he had to have a set of Swaros to be successful.

That all said you will probably never see me with a $6000 rifle and scope set up.

Last edited: