why no waterproof pack?

SDHNTR

WKR
So I just got back from a soaking wet AK goat hunt. While I was standing in a stream fishing for salmon afterwards, I looked down at my waders and had a thought. I was wearing Cabelas lightweight Dry Plus waders. They are awesome. Light, durable and waterproof. Now keep in mind, my Kifaru DT1 worked great on my hunt but everything in it was soaked. I want to know why none of the pack manufacturers make a waterproof pack. It seems like the Dry Plus wader material would make a great fabric for the purpose. What am I missing? Surely I'm not the first person to think of this.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Paradox Packs use X-Pac material for the pack bags. X-Pac is waterproof for the life of the fabric.

Properly seam sealed you'll never need a raincover.

We're a forum sponsor here.

www.seekoutside.com

Dry sac for your gear or even use the big contractor bag most keep for sinking/carrying meat and when it starts pouring putt everything in and stuff it down. I use that black bag to put my pack in at night rain or shine just to keep mice or anything from chewing on my pack and if it happens to rain at night I'm not worried about it. From what I've heard to make a waterproof pack it takes a new machine to do the right stitching, which would cost thousands for the pack maker which probably would make packs even more expensive, then you get in to waterproof zippers and the whole 9. For me the dry bags and contractor bags seem to work. I've never used a rain pack cover but seems like it would be a PITA

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea of a waterproof pack bag but not if it's louder or heavier. I usually just line my pack with a garbage bag. It's simple and serves multiple uses.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I hear ya on the trash bags and dry sacks, I use them too, but why should we have to deal with all that is my point. Why not just make the bag itself waterproof? Are pack companies just accepting status quo? Someone other than Paradox has to be on this too.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
And pack covers suck. Never seen one that would hold up to Alaska rain. They never fit right, especially with a bow on the pack, and are a pain in heavy brush. Alaska changed my perspective on gear. Stuff that is perfectly acceptable to lower 48 conditions just won't cut mustard in AK. A saturated pack weighs a lot more too, even if you can keep the contents dry. I'm thinking differently now and no one seems to be on the same page. I just want to know if there is a functional reason that has prevented durable, light, and waterproof packs from hitting the market, or if it's just complacency.

DaveC

WKR
Cordura is a bit archaic in this regard. Give Kif et al 5 years. That said, any fabric will eventually get pinholes so drybags will never go out of style.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Rodney, I was at Trail Days earlier this year setting up our booth in the rain. The AT ran just a few feet away and a steady stream of hikers sloshed by. One poor fellow had an Osprey pack cover that was too big for his pack and about a gallon of water had collected in it and was swinging back and forth hitting him in the butt on each step.

Miserable. That's one of the reasons we use waterproof fabrics. Another reason is dead weight. Rain covers aren't used most of the time but are carried all of the time.

Sboada

FNG
There are waterproof packs on the market currently. Mostly these are mountaineering or canyoneering packs. But they're generally pretty heavy. I would think it's mostly durability and weight that would keep them from the UltraLite backpacking crowd.

mfolch

WKR
I hate pack covers and so purchased a custom Cuben fiber pack for hiking this summer. No matter how I packed the bag or did the lid, some water managed to seep in and affect the sleeping bag loft. So I ended up having to dry the sleeping bag every night. Which is a roundabout way of saying that even with a waterproof bag, it's a good idea to use pack liner bags. I like these from gossamer gear and use them for hunting season. http://gossamergear.com/packs/pack-accessories/pack-liner-bags-2-pack.html

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
VX42 XPac is as durable as 500d Cordura. The stiffness of XPac lends itself better to some designs (such as a roll top) than others. Personally, I've been there done that with wetted out packs thus the reason Paradox favors fabrics that are waterproof

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In my experience you can't make a waterproof backpack truly waterproof with any real openings to pull gear in and out of. Hence the use of waterproof stuff sacks and rain covers.

Actually, in my testing a rolltop VX21 bag with a side zip survived a controlled 15 minute drenching rain with no water penetration.

Honestly I was a bit surprised. I thought water would get in through the side zip but none did. I attribute that mostly to the rain flap and compression system holding the flap down.

Rolltop style bags are inherently more waterproof as well.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Interesting. Rockchucker, did you get my PM? I need to learn more about Paradox. Also, I just came back from a trip where it literally rained non stop for 5 straight days. I need more than 15 min before I get too excited.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, I can guarantee the fabric won't wet out and soak through. I've had good luck with the side zip in my testing as well, but if waterproofing is the primary desire then skip it and seam seal. IMO pack covers are a failed concept. Another alternative is to use just a dry bag for most of your gear contents ( the paradox had this option as well )

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Paradox has me intrigued. I can't figure out all the options though. I need to talk to an expert. Who's the man there?

MattB

WKR
With the availability of waterproof stuff sacks, IMO there isn't a compelling reason for a water-proof pack.